What would make you go to war early (under 50 turns)?

Contact to a warmonger-Civ within the first 10-15 turns or so, even if I don't know where they are yet -> Insta-DoW. I know I'm not going to like them and they're not going to like me, nobody is going to have a DoF with them and I haven't met any other Civs yet, so it's basically a free DoW. I'll usually use my first 2 Archers to pick off their units, farm exp and make sure that they can't expand, steal a worker if possible etc. Doesn't really work on Deity, but it does on any other difficulty.

I'll usually not try to take Capital though - except if it's in a REALLY good spot - and instead use them to level up my army as much as possible.

An unguarded worker. There's nothing more disrespectful than an unguarded worker next to a scout in a border. Workers have to be guarded sometimes, if possible.

1. If a civ is nearby and scouting my ruins. Or
2. If I have military units. Or
3. If my computer's turned on.

I've read that people like to take out Venice the second they discover it because it's easy to do early-game and it's one less Civ to deal with but I feel like giving Venice a chance is a bit more noble.

If I happen to get lucky with 2-3 unit upgrades through ruins, I may try to take out a small competitor sitting on valuable resources.

#1 Reason: AI has an unguarded SETTLER near where I intend to found my next city.
My unit that was guarding the area enslaves the AI's settler to a worker and I'll declare peace about 10 turns later.

#1 Reason: AI has an unguarded SETTLER near where I intend to found my next city.
My unit that was guarding the area enslaves the AI's settler to a worker and I'll declare peace about 10 turns later.

Or not. If they're close enough to be sending settlers where I want to put a city, I want to really cripple them. So I may stay at war, looking to grab another worker or settler, and spend the time earning XP to promote my units.

Sweden -» Honor -» Great general faster -» Rock'n roll.
Or, if Maya is a near neighbor : Oracle is mine, never yours.
Or, to steal stuff : workers, settlers.
Or, if I roll a map for domination, usually with composite bowmen.

1. Attila.
2. Shaka.

No need to DoW with these pals. They're such nice guys, they'll do it for you.

3. Venice. I just. Can't. Resist.
4. Unholy trinity (Austria, Venice, Greece) that simply cannot exists in the same world if I'm one of them or Germany.
5. Unprotected settlers wondering towards my sweet spots.

Contact to a warmonger-Civ within the first 10-15 turns or so, even if I don't know where they are yet -> Insta-DoW. I know I'm not going to like them and they're not going to like me, nobody is going to have a DoF with them and I haven't met any other Civs yet, so it's basically a free DoW. I'll usually use my first 2 Archers to pick off their units, farm exp and make sure that they can't expand, steal a worker if possible etc. Doesn't really work on Deity, but it does on any other difficulty.

I'll usually not try to take Capital though - except if it's in a REALLY good spot - and instead use them to level up my army as much as possible.

Huh... That's a good idea, how did I never thought about doing that... :crazyeye:

Seems the main provocation is seeing an AI settler where you don't want to see them...;) Yes, I agree...

And if I have a warmonger close by I now routinely prepare for an early war. If the AI capital is within six hexes, I may even...situational, of course...grab the Honour GG and put a citadel up as close as I can to the AI capital....and maybe even grab a few choice hexes in the process. Although the AI will sometimes retaliate with a GG, they seldom seem to do that. Though they may have a GG or two wandering around.

Actually I'm kind of curious just what motivates the AI to plant citadels??? I haven't figured out any discernbile pattern yet....

I played Attila and got a RAM upgrade first thing. I nicked a CS before anyone saw me. :mischief:

I played Attila and got a RAM upgrade first thing. I nicked a CS before anyone saw me. :mischief:

Yeah, I did that once too, felt awesome until I realized that the city was in an absolute horrible spot. :lol:

If I'm planning on warmongering troughout the game and Greece, Siam, Austria or any other civ that's going after city-states is close to me. I rather take them out before they've got much allied city-states. I just need them too much on Immortal to keep up with especially faith and culture.

Top Bottom