Buying stuff in cities

Zaimejs

Emperor
Quick question: Why don't you get a discount on purchasing something that you've been building for awhile? I don't understand that. If I'm half way finished with a factory, why am I paying full price?

Bear in mind that in most previous civs (though not Alpha Centauri), being able to rush buy production with gold didn't become available until much later in the game. You either needed advanced governments or advanced civics (which were unlocked fairly late in the tech tree) before you could do so.

Bear in mind that in most previous civs (though not Alpha Centauri), being able to rush buy production with gold didn't become available until much later in the game. You either needed advanced governments or advanced civics (which were unlocked fairly late in the tech tree) before you could do so.

Civ II : I remember being able to cash rush from turn 1.

Civ III: You instead could pop rush from turn 1. Some governments allowed cash rushing while others were pop rushing. However, the first of these was still in early game.

Civ IV: Slavery civic required to pop rush (early game); Democracy civic required to cash rush (mid to late game)

Yes, Civ V eliminated the discount for partially constructed buildings / units that had been there from the beginning. (That decision was made during development; as a consequence they turned off the AI cash buying of buildings to keep AI from wasting cash). However I do note that prior to Civ V, you still had to wait for your next turn for the building / unit. In Civ V, you can cash rush multiple buildings in the same city the same turn.

Well maybe the company you purcase from only sell whole products forcing you to pay their full price for their service:)

Basicly that is how it works in civ 5, purcase units don't drain hammers from the one being currently constructed but you can only have one build of its kind in each of your city meaning that building and then pay the coin for it is just a kind of wastage.

I actually prefer that you cant rush-build to a partially finished building, that makes planing ahead much more valuable. In previous Civs it always felt two-dimentional for me. Either have a plan to rush-build an important building in as many cities as possible as soon as it's available, or use rush-building whenever it's possible, to efficiently keep your gold near zero.

Civ II : I remember being able to cash rush from turn 1.

Yes, Civ V eliminated the discount for partially constructed buildings / units that had been there from the beginning. (That decision was made during development; as a consequence they turned off the AI cash buying of buildings to keep AI from wasting cash). However I do note that prior to Civ V, you still had to wait for your next turn for the building / unit. In Civ V, you can cash rush multiple buildings in the same city the same turn.

I like the way it is now in Civ V. It´s more fair to play against AI.

I like the way it is now in Civ V. It´s more fair to play against AI.

Not really; Civ IV AI was actually very adept at knowing when to cash rush a partly completed building at a discount.

It would be more fair if the Civ V AI knew how to cash rush buildings. (And would make the AI gold advantage on higher difficulty levels more meaningful.)

Agree on both points. I also think building taking a turn to cash rush and being limited to one cash-rushed building a turn would be better design, especially since that would mirror the mechanic of cash-rushing units.

Top Bottom