The most brutal game I've seen for a while

Magean

Prince
Hi,

Now that I'm accustomed to Immortal, I normally don't have much trouble at that difficulty level. And, at any case, the AI has become quite tame in BNW.

So, I start a game as Denmark, planning to go for domination, or any other victory backed by conquest. Map is Continents plus, tweaked so that CS don't spawn on islands, and everything else is standard.

I start on a rather big continent, cut in two parts by a sort of isthmus, which controlled by Hong Kong. My closest neighbours are England and Venice. On the other half on the continent, there's Morocco and Spain.

Things run smoothly at the beginning. I plant two cities in iron locations, catch up in tech thanks to trade routes, and beeline Metal Casting, for berserkers. I build 4 berserkers, a few CB, and invade England. I take London, then peace out and leave a gimped England.

Meanwhile, I get a declaration of friendship with Morocco. Though every leader has "early concerns" about my warmongering, things aren't dramatic yet, diplomatically. And I meet Polynesia.

Then Venice, which was my friend, backstabs me and declares war. Enrico has the first army, but it's only strong in sheer numbers. His units are crap, so I destroy his invasion army targeted at Copenhagen, then strike back and conquer Venice. I make peace with Dandolo (still alive thanks to 2 puppeted CS).

[As a side note, Denmark might be the most loathed civ in the forum, but zerks are truly awesome. Not least because they unlock at metal casting, that's a boon. And there's a perfect synergy with Denmark's UA. Even outside of a naval war, 3 movements + free pillage, that's great.]

I'm quite lucky, because the turn right after the fall of Venice, I meet Ramesses, who founds the World Congress : I thus meet Bismark too, and none of them witnessed my conquests. They sit on the same continent, not far away from my shores.

Now, I decide to sit for a while on my conquests, stabilize, develop... I swim in cash thanks to trade routes and sold resources, everything is fine. I wage a little harassment war against England to extract some more cash and farm XP before peacing out.

I've a nasty surprise, though : Ramesses plants a settler 4 tiles south of capital stealing some workable space. Oh well, I'll deal with this later, that's what I thought.

Suddenly, all hell breaks loose.

A giant Egyptian invasion force comes from across the ocean and surrounds Copenhagen. That was all but expected, my troops are garrisoned elsewhere. The battle is long-fought. I have to buy walls and a caste, and I loose multiple well-trained units from my previous wars. Eventually, I repeal the invaders, and starts pushing toward the base city of Elephantine established on my coastline.

Seeing how weakened I am, Enrico decides to take his revenge and declares war. OK, challenge accepted. His cities are in the South, so any Venetian army would arrive near the current front. I can handle this.

The scrambe didn't stop there, though. Isabella, whom I had paid to fight Germany, makes peace and declares war on me. She has the first army of the world, according the demographics. And indeed, a pretty impressive Spanish army marches to the Honk Kong choke point. I rely on HK, my ally, to stop the invasion while I'm expelling the Egyptians and removes them from my continent. HK holds firm, so I don't worry that much.

However, while Elephantine is about to fall, a large Spanish fleet heads to undefended Venice (the city I control, not the faction). Within two turns, Venice falls. It was my second best city after the capital.

Wow. I had never seen such a raging AI at immortal. Well, sometimes I get DoW'd by a coalition, but I don't really feel threatened, especially when my immediate land neighbours are week. That's the first time I face threatening, and even successful, naval invasions from the AI. And an AI that opens two fronts. I didn't expect the naval attack on Venice.

Moreover, for the immersion, it's the Renaissance... so these two wars really feel like colonial wars, Spanish conquest of America and all. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to share this exciting game with you. I'm eager to see what's coming next. Will I be able to recover, be strong again, take my revenge ? On the bright side, I made two new friends, Germany and Polynesia.

Despite what people say, the combat AI really has been improved.

In particular, the AI seems better at naval invasions and launches them more often now. They'll bring several land units and several ships to cover and support the land units.

Despite what people say, the combat AI really has been improved.

In particular, the AI seems better at naval invasions and launches them more often now. They'll bring several land units and several ships to cover and support the land units.

I find the combat AI to be rather bipolar.

Sometimes I'm really impressed. Other times it's a huge let-down - I'm sure others have experienced the same thing, where the AI just seems to give up and it stops making units, or doing anything remotely smart with the ones it has.

Yeah I've definitely seen Civs stop making units like when Arabia was at war with Morocco and did absolutely nothing about it, had the worst army the entire game and did nothing about it

But then again I've had people like Greece make a huge turnaround in terms of units and wage impressive wars

they are all mentally ******ed when it comes to war.

I've seen warlike civs attack me and march whole armies into my territory only to wander around and target nothing in particular while I killed them all. (Aztecs and Spain both did this to me after a Double-DOW)

I've seen America with a huge army of minutemen and cannons attacking a city and repeatedly embarking all his cannons right next to the city for no reason losing like 4 in a row. Meanwhile he attacks the huge, walled city with minutemen and loses all them too.

I've seen Poland declare war on me (is on the entire other side of the map, Pangaea). I wait 20 turns or so after whupping his allies, bring up screen and he will have none of it. Absolutely refuses peace. I forgot the war was on because he was so far away I'd seen not a sign of troops for 30 turns. But sure enough, 30 turns later an army of 15 troops marches into my territory after the long round the world journey. I kill 5 of them, he immediately pops up begging for peace and gives me stuff. Makes no sense.

Another ******ed thing: does every AI smash their Mobile SAMS INTO the city walls as melee? What the heck? They lose loads of the things. My last game Netherlands had an army of about 30 mobile SAMS with infantry support and zero tanks. And he had the tech. I guess you could blame oil shortage, but I had like 60 extra and he never asked for any once. He just likes the SAMS I guess. Kept suiciding them against big cities. though in his case it worked out because it gave him pretty good immunity to aircraft bombing which the other guy kept suiciding against his SAMS.

Oh...and then occasionally I'll run into those AI who decided it was a brilliant idea to build absolutely no military at all or keep ancient units up till the industrial era. I'll march in, they will have like 10 pathetically un-upgraded troops tops, AND THEY BUILD NOTHING ELSE! Seriously, I check the capital with a spy and he's happily building Angkor Wat or something useless while my troops burn and raze everything to the ground. This behavior makes no sense to me. They also refuse to even buy troops despite sometimes sitting on 10k or more. All this after centuries of fore-warning while I wiped out nation after nation in a clear bid for domination.

The most dissapointing of all though is to see an AI with a massive military who utterly wastes it. Either wandering around and not really targeting anything, or just refusing to send it against me--or worse yet suiciding it by sending troops in reverse order: siege, then ranged, THEN melee. wtf? Here...just kill my army why don't you...I'll make it easy on you. So insulting... :p

Then occasionally I see the AI wage brillinat, tactical warfare, smartly organize their units, use sacrificial units, and bait me with traps, set up a 3-4 point coordinated siege assault so I can't kill them all. Just great stuff. I'm starting to wonder if they just occasionally get really lucky of if there is a switch that just turns on and makes them either inept at war or not...

In my experience I saw some good tactics from AI from time to time on "prince" and sometimes on "king", while more often on "king" and higher they simply mass millions of units and can't really do anything with them, except pushing them forward in unorganized mass, which does look terrifying, but can't accomplish anything. Which is no surprise really, I think I couldn't control such a messy carpet of doom myself.

Top Bottom