Advertising

Comraddict

C.IV
Simply put: Do advertising ads ( TV, radio, newspaper etc) have effect on you? Maybe long term?

I hate advertisments with a passion. I do my best to make sure they don't have affect on me. I always mute my TV during commercials.

Advertising definitely does have an effect on me. Most of the time I ignore most of them, but a particularly annoying one will put a product on my "do not support" list. Occasionally there is an advertisement that gives useful information on something I am interested in, but very rarely.

I remember, a couple of years ago, hearing about a US TV advertising executive who said that everyone flicks channels or mutes the volume during commercials are stealing revenue from the networks :lol:

I always mute the commercials, too.

Occasionally. If an advertisement is creative and enjoyable, I may try the product. For example John Smith bitter.

Yes, more's the pity. Especially cigarette ads. I have never smoked, not even once, but I find myself imitating the typical movements, way of hodling a fag etc. :(

Originally posted by zulu9812
I remember, a couple of years ago, hearing about a US TV advertising executive who said that everyone flicks channels or mutes the volume during commercials are stealing revenue from the networks :lol:
:hmm: And now it seems that the various channels now synchronise their ad breaks.

I abhor advertising. I don't think I have ever bought something because of an advertisement - most of the time if I'm buying anything of significant cost then I research it, and find reviews much more worthy than ads. The only benefit I see in advertising is price comparison. :)

Advertisements have effect on everyone.

It's quite funny to realize most people who think advertisement has no effect on them are saying so because they don't believe what is said in the commercial. Well, the important thing in a commercial isn't the message, it's simply to repeat the name of the product.

Why is it so ? Simply because advertisements aren't made to make you rush into next supermarket to buy the product ! The aim of advertisement is simply to make you know that product exists. Whatever you may want to do, you'll never be able to hear/see/read no advertisement at all during a whole day. So... advertisement, will always affect you.

The thing is that when we want to buy something, we like always better to take something we know than something we don't know. That's how it works. For example, you want to buy rice in the supermarket and have the choice only between "Vergzczczengo Botafili" and "Uncle Ben's", most people will pick Uncle Ben's because they don't know the other one and so they can't trust in it. If you don't know it, then there are better chance it will be bad than if you know it.

Another example would be driving on a highway near a city... you feel hungry... if you see a large yellow "M" than there are more chance you'll decide to go to the McDonald's than in any other restaurants since you don't have to look for the McDonald's, it's right there. :)

Some adds are tolerable, but the one from a certain Melbornian warehouse is too much. An idiot screaming his lungs out for 30 seconds, how many customers will that attract?

Don't care, unless it annoys the hell out of me. If you're in NY, you might understand how annoying some of those personal injury commercials are or that one for some window repair company.

There's also some annoying commercials on radio, particularly a new one for a phone number to an auto dealership.

What I hate most are pop-up ads, especially those that don't seem to go away at first click. Or these new ads, they don't open a new window, but they cover the screen of the window you're using, you click it off, it retreats to an annoying box in the middle of the screen and you have to get rid of it again.

They get me familiar with the product. However before buying anything I will check what the advertisers competitors are offering. In a sence it influences me but only to make me more aware of the products withc can only be a good thing.

I've had some first hand experience with TV advertising, the real point is to get a reputation, annoying jingles work! I listen to the ads with pride because I'm supporting capitalism!

Originally posted by Perfection
I listen to the ads with pride because I'm supporting capitalism!
Lol ! Well I like better to promote individualism than to act as an anonymous soldier of capitalism ! :lol: Well, I don't mind that much anyway. Even if we can argue about the way advertisement is advantaging larger corporates than smaller ones, I still think it's a very good system because it makes so many things free or at least cheap !! :D

One thing that does (or is that 'doesn't :hmm: ) surprise me is the faith people do put in 'name' brands. It is a fact that 'name' companies produce products under their own name, and also under generic names (eg. "watties" in New Zealand produce "watties" as well as 'no frills') Its amazing how many people will swear blind that 'watties' is superior to the cheaper brandless alternative, even though they are exactly the same thing!.

I also get really annoyed with the marketting ploy aimed at kids where everything comes with something. The kids want a certain breakfast cereal, only because it comes with a sticker, CD, toy etc. :(

Top Bottom