Zombie Elephants!

Supa

Out of Cheese Error
"Peaaa-nuuuts"

A Halloween Release ! :devil:

The zombie virus spread to the local Zoo !

Zombie Elephant!

And an even more decomposed corpse !

Rotten Elephant!

I'll probably enter the Zombie Elephant in the October Monthly Competition, if you like it, be sure to come back the first week of November and vote for it. :mischief:

Download
Animations & textures (+maps) by Supa
model by Debra
Original run animation by Cliff Bowman

The Zombie Elephant won the first place in the October 2011 Monthly Competition, along Grandraem's Wizard!

Thanks, guys ! I almost put them in the Extinct Fauna thread. :lol:
I bet they are from Paradise City Zoo.

As Escape from Zombie Island 2: Complete is well past the design stage, they won't be featured in it. But perhaps in the Prequel.. Virote? :mischief:

Supa, even if I'm not a fan of the "living dead" genre as well as fantasy and comment/vote such units rarely, I must say these 2 absolutely cool. They horrible and pitiful simultaneously, especially the trunkless-earless one. Brilliant work.

Thank you, Wolfshade. It's also tail-less, but you can't see it in the preview.

They horrible and pitiful simultaneously, especially the trunkless-earless one.

I almost feel sorry for the rotten one, it's not pleasant having a blood nose like that

... eurgh.

It's nice to see such emotions, horror, pity and disgust, provoked by a medium as specialized and restricted as a game unit. :)

On an unrelated note, this unit is soundless. If anyone is interested, I welcome all sounds - they would be added in the main download.

It's nice to see such emotions, horror, pity and disgust, provoked by a medium as specialized and restricted as a game unit. :)
Very well said :) I agree with both your comment and the posts that led you to this comment! Amazing units that provoke such strong emotions :goodjob:
On an unrelated note, this unit is soundless. If anyone is interested, I welcome all sounds - they would be added in the main download.
That would be quite a big challenge...

Those Look Great Supa
Love the wound textures :goodjob:

Just to let you know... the flcs have the extra duplicate frames that Civ3FlcEdit applies to all New Flcs. This causes a hesitation in the animations.
The Rotten Elephant has the two lightest "Smoke Shades" illuminating the square on the ground under its front feet. The Zombie Elephant has the light smoke shade illuminating behind the Goo Trail from its trunk during the Run. These issues can be easily corrected.

Wonderful! Especially love that trail of bile coming out of the Zombie Elephant's trunk!

As Escape from Zombie Island 2: Complete is well past the design stage, they won't be featured in it. But perhaps in the Prequel.. Virote? :mischief:

Well, there is a zoo which the zombies control from the start of that scenario. Currently all the bonuses go to human factions there :think:

Also, speaking of your Extinct Fauna, I may have use for them, even if only under an auxiliary role :D

Thanks!

Love the wound textures :goodjob:

Those were fun to make and arrange. It's actually the displacement map that makes the wounds believable, I love that feature.

Just to let you know...

the flcs have the extra duplicate frames that Civ3FlcEdit applies to all New Flcs. This causes a hesitation in the animations.

I know about this bug, although to be frank, even if I'm able to detect in-game, I have yet to see when I'm not looking for it. I had some problems with Flicster with I first tried it (back in 2004, I think) and C3F is much more user-friendly. I don't understand why nobody is interested in updating it ; I came to understand the author released the code.

The Rotten Elephant has the two lightest "Smoke Shades" illuminating the square on the ground under its front feet.
The Zombie Elephant has the light smoke shade illuminating behind the Goo Trail from its trunk during the Run. These issues can be easily corrected.

<misunderstanding the actual issue> I saw the issue post-rendering and actually reduced it, the original problem for the Rotten was larger. I've never used the smoke shades so I don't fully understand their impact. I've got a few units with a smoke in them, it might worthwhile to check it. The smoke shades give a gray semi-transparency effect to the pixel ?

<finally seeing the issue> Ah, I see what you're saying with the square! I didn't see it when I tested the unit on a darker terrain but you can't miss on a lighter square, like desert.

It will be fixed.

Well, there is a zoo which the zombies control from the start of that scenario. Currently all the bonuses go to human factions there :think:

Ha-HA!

Also, speaking of your Extinct Fauna, I may have use for them, even if only under an auxiliary role :D

Eye-candy outdoor animatronic tourist attraction mammoth device ? :D

<about sounds>

That would be quite a big challenge...

Yes and no. It's not harder than making an unit, the learning curve should be similar and it asks as much creativity. I had a lot of fun creating sounds in the past but as I'm less fluent in sound editing, it's actually a burden to create new sounds when I've finished an unit: I want to create a thread, show it, talk about it, not launch Audacity and spend additional time keeping it for myself. Sounds are also a bit of a letdown: Obviously, you can't show them on the forum and most people won't download the unit to listen to the sounds. There isn't any immediate feedback and the benefits are delayed: people will notice the sounds in a scenario or a mod and by then, they wont' dig up the thread to comment and talk about it.

But sounds is as important as graphics with you've got to convince the player it's an actual thing they're controlling/fighting against and not just a bunch of pixels and stats. Frankly, I'd like to see a few people take up on sound editing on these boards. But maybe I'm the only unit creator too lazy to actually create or borrow sounds. I know Vuldacon always take the time to do it, but I've never felt anything less than a great admiration towards Vuldacon's patience and meticulousness.

Supa... The reason the smoke shades happened is because the square was not totally transparent and was lighter than the Magenta Background. This cannot be seen when viewed with the .pal palette but can be seen using the Alpha.pal Palette. The easiest way to correct it is to simply open the Storyboard in your Graphics Program and change those Smoke Shades 255, 16, 255 and 255, 26, 266 to Pure Magenta 255, 0, 255 on the Palette then reload your same palette using nearest color matching.

As for the extra Frames... you can copy the entire Storyboard except the duplicate frame and paste all back onto the Storyboard from the 1st Frame. So if there are 11 frames and the duplicate frames are #1 and #2, you copy from #2 through #11 then paste all back from 1 through 10. This leaves the last two frames duplicated. Then you generate a new Flc then generate a new storyboard and reset the number of frames to 10 which removes the last frame.

As for the extra Frames... you can copy the entire Storyboard except the duplicate frame and paste all back onto the Storyboard from the 1st Frame. So if there are 11 frames and the duplicate frames are #1 and #2, you copy from #2 through #11 then paste all back from 1 through 10. This leaves the last two frames duplicated. Then you generate a new Flc then generate a new storyboard and reset the number of frames to 10 which removes the last frame.

The .pcx storyboard generated by Civ3FLC when it creates a .C3F file is fine. There isn't a duplicated column. When I export, with Civ3FLC, a FLC to a storyboard, there is still the same correct number of frame. So I'm little lost to where do I find the flawed storyboard to begin with. At all points, the storyboards are the same size as the original storyboard generated by Steph's SBB (Sandris edition).

What kind of monster zombifies ELEPHANTS?

A lot of zombies and a few days of restless fighting without actual care, I guess ? Or it might be the consequences of an airborne virus. Or maybe the elephant would take a taste of a nearby zombie ?

The .pcx storyboard generated by Civ3FLC when it creates a .C3F file is fine. There isn't a duplicated column. When I export, with Civ3FLC, a FLC to a storyboard, there is still the same correct number of frame. So I'm little lost to where do I find the flawed storyboard to begin with. At all points, the storyboards are the same size as the original storyboard generated by Steph's SBB (Sandris edition).
Every Flc has Frames 1 and 2 the same. If you count the number of Frames that you rendered, they will be one frame less than are on the storyboards.

First Impression: (Tim Allen grunt) Ughh? A zombie elephant? What?

But then think about it. Elephants are one of the few animals other than humans who are recognized to be self-aware, as in being able to recognize that they are an individual personality, they and mourn the loss of a loved one. Only humans, apes, wales/porposes and elephants are truly considered self-aware.

If the horrifying point of a zombie is the mindlessness, then an elephant zombie is terrifying, plus it would take a lot more then just shooting it in the head with a shot gun.

@Supa: Take another look at my user-icon ;)

@Jord: Considered by whom? Personally, I'd consider a greater range of animals to be self-aware: Dolphins, horses, pigs, and dogs all qualify.

Dolphins - quite possibly the closest to human cognitive ability.
Pigs - smarter than dogs according to some sites
Horses and dogs - there are examples of each painting! (e.g. 1:57 in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QFIVxZWVU&feature=related and http://www.ecmagazine.net/Vol7_2/PaintingHorses.htm)
Also, dogs can be taught to copy new behaviors (http://www.video.clickertraining.com/CFVEX11KR03)

Top Bottom