What MOO2Civ should look like (when you start up)

Agent327

Observer
Following a question posed some time ago, here's some shots of what you should see when everything is working properly.

The first thing you should see after starting up a new game (using either the Play Now or Custom Game settings): your selected civ (the right screen attached below). After clicking you should see your initial colony or homeworld (left screen below). Notice how there are no active unit buttons; this is because the only unit you start with cannot move off-world (it still has zero move points). What you can do is select your homeworld and start production of a unit that can move: the Probe. Also, in the top right is the accompanying Tutorial pop up (the Tutorial mode can either be switched on or off).

Finally you may note that, althoughyou can build Spies, you cannot assign Espionage; this is because there's no race to assign it to. (In other words: you cannot spy on anybody.)

In this case the homeworld is Fieras, because I'm playing the Mrrshan. (If I'd chosen the Trilarians, the population would be size 2, as all Trilarian colonies start at size 2.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ - Opening Screen0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Opening Screen0000.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,096
  • MOO2Civ - Civ Opening Screen0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Civ Opening Screen0000.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,786
The third screen is an example of your Science Advisor, as another thing to do on the first turn is selecting the advance you want researched (if you do not do this on the first turn and end your turn, a screen will pop up on turn 2 asking what you want researched).

Note: the screenshot is actually not from the first turn (you cannot research Cold Fusion when you first start, unless you used the Advanced Start option).

When you click on your initial colony you get the The System Screen, as the Tutorial pop up indicates. Unfortunately the Tutorial screen opens up right on top of your listed planets. (If it weren't there, you'd actually see the planets contained in the system. You can, however, drag it to the left so that the explanation makes more sense.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ -Researching Cold Fusion0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ -Researching Cold Fusion0000.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 988
  • MOO2Civ - System Screen0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - System Screen0000.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,043
If you've selected building a Probe initially, this will happen on turn 2 or 3: your first spacefaring unit is built. You can actually start by building a Spy, but the Probe has a 3 square visibility range. (Which shows in that you can now see 3 squares from your homeworld, unlike in the first screen.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ - First Unit Built0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - First Unit Built0000.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 739
Another thing you can do is to use the Detailed Graphics option (press Escape, select Advanced, then Options), making your colony detail how fast it is growing and producing, so you'll know when a population point will be added and when your build order will be finished without actually going to the Colony management screen.

(If you compare it to the first screen, you may note that the Detailed Graphics option is turned off there; there is no indication when the next population point will be added.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ - Detailed Graphics0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Detailed Graphics0000.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 580
Obviously, with a Probe ready, you'll want to go exploring. In doing so you'll encounter Space Wrecks (like Villages in regular Civ), which, when explored, may grant you extra Credits, a free unit, or even an advance as shown below.

(Notice in the bottom left that there is a Scout active with still 1 movement point left; the Scout is the next advanced scouting unit after the Probe.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ - Free Discovery0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Free Discovery0000.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 475
With enough scouting, you'll run into your first contact, resulting in a pop up screen like the one below. You may also note that, having met another race, you can now assign Espionage, once you've finished the diplomatic greeting.

Another thing you're bound to run into are Alien ships (barbarians), but that's not likely to happen prior to turn 40. (You might want to keep that in mind, although I've seen the AI send unaccompanied Colony Ships even in mid-game.) The shot below is from a first Alien encounter - in turn 41.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ - Meeting The Gnolams0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Meeting The Gnolams0000.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 707
  • MOO2Civ - Barbarians0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Barbarians0000.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 612
Before that happens, you'll likely have uncovered several star systems. If you want to know exactly how a system looks like, you can double left-click on the star in the middle to get the view below.

Now, if you´ve built a Colony Ship you can found a new colony by using the appropriate button. (In this case I´ve sent an Invasion Ship along, carrying 1 Marine unit on board, to be dropped in the system as primary defender.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ - Star System Discovered0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ - Star System Discovered0000.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 622
  • Founding a colony0000.JPG
    Founding a colony0000.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Colony founded0000.JPG
    Colony founded0000.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 441
I hope, this post does not disturb anything but...

In this case the homeworld is Fieras, because I'm playing the Elerians.

Fieras is (in Master of Orion II) the homeworld of the Mhrshan. Homeworld of the Elerians is Draconis.

Thanks for posting this. (I think I'm the original person who asked the question.)

It does seem that my installation is bugged, since my starting city produces no production or food at all, and your screenshots seem to suggest that no special actions are needed to produce these things, but just to make sure, what should the city manager screen look like for a properly working game?

You're welcome. (Actually I thought it might be useful for anyone wishing to try out MOO2Civ, hence the thread.) BTW, screenshots are actually from MOO2Civ 5.0, which I'm working on right now. Also,

:newyear:

Since there was a question about it and it´s both rather basic and essential I´ve updated post #7 with 2 pics of founding a new colony.

Top Bottom