New tech tree

I did fix the bomber from your previous list.

As for no doomstar and planetoid construction not linking to a future tech, it makes me wonder if you're using an earlier version? Because it works on mine...

And I haven't messed with the Civilopedia at all. I have no idea what it takes to set it up properly. I noticed many things in it are automatic though. I do have a harder time getting interested in fixing things like civlopedia entries. :mischief:

EDIT: I see what you mean by not the techs not leading to another in the research popup. That is weird, I don't know why it would do that since they are connected...

As for no doomstar and planetoid construction not linking to a future tech, it makes me wonder if you're using an earlier version? Because it works on mine...

And I haven't messed with the Civilopedia at all. I have no idea what it takes to set it up properly. I noticed many things in it are automatic though. I do have a harder time getting interested in fixing things like civlopedia entries. :mischief:

Indeed. It seems I made a major boo-boo by installing in the wrong place. :blush:

EDIT: After installing in the right place everything seems A-OK. (I especially look forward to using the Invasion transports and Doomstars.) ;)

The transports are great! It's nice to have a ship to move infantry around so you can quickly defend newly conquered stars with a batch of battloids.

I also noticed the collateral damage of the invasion ships doesn't do much at all. Whenever the computer attacked me with invasion ships my marine would always loose but the rest of the marines would be unharmed. I guess they must just heal from whatever damage was done. Let me know if the damage should be increased.

Not sure. I can confirm that a Marine attacked by Invasion Ships (especially with promotions) will loose and that there is some collateral damage, but the planetary defenders (even with their current -1 strength) are pretty formidable defenders. That said, I've lost several systems to a decent invasion fleet surprise attacking me.

tuxu posted this suggestion/question on the main thread:

I was pondering about the similarities and differences between civ tech and moo tech trees.

in civ, when you get a tech - you get it all while in moo2 there can be overruns (pos\neg) for creative or dumb races.

I thought that we could simulate that effect in civ too. :D how?

we know that every leader has traits, lets say that the creative trait was a "flag" of some sort that boosts the % for extra dicoveries.

now, you are researching "Capsule Construction":
Spoiler :
250 RP: Capsule Construction
Battle Pods
Ship Special System that increases available space in the ship by 50%.

Troop Pods
Ship Special System that doubles the number Marines it carries. Useful for performing or defending against boarding attacks; but becomes less important when moderately good shields appear, as shields block boarding raids.

Survival Pods
Achievement (no construction or ship component required) that saves any Ship Leader whose ship is destroyed, provided if at least one of your ships is present at the end of the battle (i.e. you must win for Survival Pods to work; if all your surviving ships retreat, the stranded Leaders die).

you will get 40% chance to discover each type of the pods if you are without the creative trait(Battle Pods=40%, Troop Pods=40%, Survival Pods=40%, ), when you are a dumb race you will get less(Battle Pods=30%, Troop Pods=30%, Survival Pods=30%, ) and when you are creative you will get more(Battle Pods=70%, Troop Pods=70%, Survival Pods=70%, ).

but who does this fit into civ4 engine? with "random events".

if every tech discovery would trigger a random event that would notify the player what had been discovered according to his traits we have pretty much made ourselves a moo2 tech tree system, i think... :)

thought: maybe we could kill the tech screen and completely use the random event dialog box for tech? maybe add the tech pix? maybe make a NIF file that simulates the moo2 tech dicovery screen? im trying to see if i can also make the leaders models and place them in a moo2 diplo room screen. but no promises.

if i manage to have time for it, I WILL MAEK!

tuxu posted this suggestion/question on the main thread:

Interesting, I don't know enough to use that idea yet but I will look into it after I finish what I'm currently working on.

Did they get the random events to work for Final Frontier? I remember a discussion about it being problematic in other forums... I'll have to check into it and update myself.

Thanks for the ideas, they will be checked into.

Thanks for the ideas, they will be checked into.

Well, idk what jon shefer did in FF that might bug the rand events but if i wanted to check how to do it i'd look into the FFH2 or overlord2 mods to reverse engineer whatever they did.

FF runs on the same exe as they are so i hope no big problems are encountered.

anyway, if you find a specific issue that seems to throw a wrench in our wheels tell me what it is and maybe to heads together can solve what otherwise might look impossible. :)

Here's one thread that talks about problems with random events:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=330399
That's not where I originally read about the problem but just for a heads up that the FF engine will probably give us grief at random events scripting.

Here are some more of my thoughts concerning the idea:
It would be perfect for creative and uncreative races but I don't like the idea so much for normal races. It would just make them slightly luckier versions of uncreative.

I like the current system I made in my minimod for normal races, especially because you can go back and research something that you really need later on, it didn't make sense to me that once you learn how to do something you just drop it and not apply it to anything else.

I don't know anything about random events scripting, but if you can somehow merge the two systems and keep the expanded tech tree for normal races and other races get a chance to obtain the new techs like you described I think it would be great!

I only have time to work on things here until the beginning of April where school ends and I will be too busy to do more work until the fall. That's part of the reason I'm making so many changes so quickly for my minimod so I can finish it before I get too busy.

Here's one thread that talks about problems with random events:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=330399
That's not where I originally read about the problem but just for a heads up that the FF engine will probably give us grief at random events scripting.why not change the engine then? FFH2 might be a great infra afaik, if the creators would allow us to use it.

Here are some more of my thoughts concerning the idea:
It would be perfect for creative and uncreative races but I don't like the idea so much for normal races. It would just make them slightly luckier versions of uncreative. Essentially they are, as in moo2, no? maybe a failed tech could be re-researched, idk, i don't find the idea of being able to reaserch everything because then the game would fall into a more liniar pattern in which you always go for the same things and those would be practically guarantied. the *luck&handicap* system makes sure that the aproach for tech would be inhereted directly from moo2, methinks...

I like the current system I made in my minimod for normal races, especially because you can go back and research something that you really need later on, it didn't make sense to me that once you learn how to do something you just drop it and not apply it to anything else.Understandable, but that means that the role of spies is greatly diminished, I remember games in moo2 that I've practically didn't need to research anything - my spies just torrented the galactic inturnetz for me, lol. and on moo3 i was once threatened by a big psilon armada, one which was decimated by my saboteurs and later finished off by my small fleet. Tech handicap due to failed research was one of the gameplay backbones and i would hate to see it dissolved.

I don't know anything about random events scripting, but if you can somehow merge the two systems and keep the expanded tech tree for normal races and other races get a chance to obtain the new techs like you described I think it would be great! I'm currently over my head in textures and models and my own job but I'll consider that as a priority

I only have time to work on things here until the beginning of April where school ends and I will be too busy to do more work until the fall. That's part of the reason I'm making so many changes so quickly for my minimod so I can finish it before I get too busy. I hear you man, i suffer from a similar condition :)

<filler>

Also, deanej succesfully (re)introduced events in his FF-based Star Trek mod at some point, so he might know some answers..

Making spies more valuable is a great point. I do like making the game more diverse instead of only researching the same thing. One way of heping this is adding lots of dimensions like culture, armies, spies, religion, etc.

Also I think it is a great gameplay attribute for an underhanded guy to be able to undermine a stronger guy. Currently in Civ4 and MoO2 civ it's hard to catch up once you fall behind! That's one thing that old games like Starcraft 1, Age of Empires II, Red Alert 1 did excellently is that each unit had something it was weak against and something it was strong against so everything was useful and you could counter enemy armies and still beat them even if they were stronger. I'm starting to like your idea here even more, I'm not sure if I'll be able to help but I'd like to see it happen.

Currently I'm going to finish the promotion rework and changing icons then we'll see from there, I'd like to take some time to actually play the mod for a while. :)

You know, after more playing, I'm leaning away from the normal races not getting to choose what they can have.

I like the normal method of researching for the normal races because first, you get what you choose (as you should). Second, it is easier for new people to learn. Third, as you learn the game you can use spies to do even better.

I'm still going to look into what random events can do though.

Top Bottom