Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

I'd simply recommend that the European nations involved ought to just ignore the Vietnamese, as they are less than actual good, white people. That'd be more or less in character.

Otherwise there's no real resistriction on who wants to butt into people's business. I should simply state that there's no reason any should respond or yes, even listen to someone who has no connection to an ongoing crisis or diplomatic debate.

Immaculate's Orders said:
Domestic Politics:
Elections take place this year and the population, eager for a strong hand in the face of what they fear could be spontaneous re-ignition of the ‘civil war’ at any moment, vote in a conservative, military-minded president, Miguel Angel Moreno. And one of the first things that Moreno takes on is the run-away despotic rebels of the break-away Venezuelan provinces.

He immediately orders mobilization of the economy for war (represented by taking economic control to 45%) and the training of new soldiers and construction of new ships.
SHAM ELECTIONS RAISE ANGER IN NEW GRANADA. Bogota, Republic of New Granada. Simon Bolivar, hero of the war of independence against Spain, was ousted in what many believe to be rigged elections by his conservative opponent, Miguel Angel Moreno. The great popularity of Bolivar and the obvious support for him made the election results all the more unpopular among the people of New Granada. Regardless, President Moreno immediately announced the movement of the nation to a "war footing," seizing businesses, many of which were frequently owned by political opponents of his faction, and raising taxes to pay for an increase of the military. He has called for the reclamation of the provinces of Venezuela to the larger Republic. Regardless, his actions have led to an effective dictatorship of the presidency, and ending a true republic in New Granada as a war begins to rise. (-2 Stability)

Why did this happen?

I tried to add fluff about why the people would support a war and you turn it into a 'sham election' and the end of a republic.

@Immaculate: Well I wouldn't say it's the end of the republic, but while you did give a perfectly legitimate reason for war, that doesn't mean that your people have to buy it. Wanting have money is a perfectly good reason to take it all from someone else in a robbery. Doesn't mean that other people have to like it. As for why, well, it all plays into the fact that I've taken most of the choices out of my hands. I simply determined a number of possible results and that is what occurred.

I'm sorry but i wrote for my people to hold an election and vote in a conservative pro-military government.

Instead you have basically a coup take place. Where, oh where, did this come from? It simply doesn't make any sense. I can understand my complete failure in all things military- that stuff happens, but you basically ignored my orders and wrote your own.

I'm still waiting for an answer to this.

When i started this NES, i'd never played with your previously but the NES itself looked really interesting. I said as much to several players who will remain anonymous and they told me not to bother playing because you are a 'railroad' mod and you'd just ignore most of the orders and do your own thing. I said, "Well, it can't be that bad... lets give it a try." I want to have faith in you and i want to continue playing this NES but i don't really want to be involved in a game where my orders, which take some time to thoughtfully research and write out properly, are completely ignored or maliciously misinterpreted.

Anyway, if you want to explain what happened, thats great... If you don't want to bother, or you want to just say 'it is the way it is' or something similar, thats fine too. But the current explanation is very unsatisfactory. Sham elections? What the heck?

@Immaculate: You can write in whatever the hell you want. Won't make it true. Other moderators might give players 100% control over what their people think and do, but I have never done that. If that's the sort of NES you want to play, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Regardless, let's break it down step by step from my perspective. You sent me orders asking for a conservative government. I roll the dice to see the reaction of the population towards the establishment of a conservative government, this is something I'd do (and did) with any nation. The reaction of a large segment of your population, according to your dice, was highly negative towards the new government. This is part of removing such judgements out of my hands as they were in prior NESes. Now, you may notice that I said in the update "many believe" that the elections were rigged, not "they were rigged." Likewise, did you see any protests or an actual military rebellion? If you recall in 2000 (and in 1960, and several other occasions), there were acusations of fraud in the United States, didn't make it true. That covers the negative reaction to the election.

Now, the change from Republic to Presidential Dictatorship. I had to pondor over this. This was less random than the prior description, mostly because there was no way to randomize it. I had to take into account several factors. First, the above mentioned results of the election. Second, the change of control from 15% to 45%. This isn't just taxes. This is seizing stores, factories, and farms for the betterment of the war effort. Those resources have to come from somewhere. The authority to do so, while perhaps justified with a war, gives the president quite a bit more power. Therefore the "Presidential Dictatorship" stat. This doesn't mean that you can't (or won't have elections) when they come around again in 1834. It simply means that your president has extreme levels of executive control. For comparison, if I were doing the stats for 1863 United States, that would be a Presidential Dictatorship under Lincoln much like your own (Same goes for Roosevelt in WW2). Throughout history many dictators have started this way, and the real test is if you choose to return power to the masses upon the conclusion of the crisis.

Lastly, about military orders. I don't believe you were asking about this, but yes, as I discovered with my updating process, no plan survives making contact with the enemy.

thank you for taking the time to explain the process.

From the Caliph
To Yemen

We are very disappointed in you. Bad Yemen. Bad.

To: Poland

We will gladly accept this agreement.

To: Austria

The Papacy recognizes Austria's control over Venice, and would like to invite the Austrians into the Catholic League, but we will not condone further advances into Italian states by Austria.

To: Sardinia

While we will investigate any claim of clerical corruption, we will never condone cutting ties from Rome. Such an act is heretical, and will lead to the plague that is Protestantism infecting Sardinia. We will not stand by and passively accept your actions.

To: Korea

Your execution of Christians within your borders shall earn you a place in hell. Ask for forgiveness from the Lord, and turn away from your sins.

OOC: Did I miss anything?

To: Papal States

We have no intention of embracing Protestantism. Despite that we can no longer afford to have any religious influence within our government. It is clear to use that you need to get your own house in order.

thank you for taking the time to explain the process.

OOC: I also want to mention that the sensation of being "railroaded" in EQ's NESes, once a salient observation*, is not a good indication of what actually happens. Many times in the past when I felt some of my decisions were incidental to a "plan" that was already conceived and generally already being executed, I brought the issue up with EQ and received a pretty satisfactory account of what happened. I honestly don't believe EQ to be a railroad mod.

*EQ admits that he was too lenient in TWTUD, specifically when it came to America.

We have no intention of embracing Protestantism. Despite that we can no longer afford to have any religious influence within our government. It is clear to use that you need to get your own house in order.

We define Protestantism as a form of Christianity separate from the Church of Rome. This separates Catholicism from, say, the Anglicans (along with their embracing of divorce). Thus, as you have separated yourselves from the Church of Rome, you are likely to fall to Protestant heresy, which we will not accept blithely.

No worries, as long as you say when you're not able to do orders, we're all good.

We define Protestantism as a form of Christianity separate from the Church of Rome. This separates Catholicism from, say, the Anglicans (along with their embracing of divorce). Thus, as you have separated yourselves from the Church of Rome, you are likely to fall to Protestant heresy, which we will not accept blithely.

To: The Papal States
CC: Sardinia

The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies hopes that our Italian brothers can sort out this issue peacefully.

We however do fail to understand how removal of Papal advisors constitutes a fall to Protestant heresy. Sardinians have always been good Catholics and we are sure will remain such for all time.

To: Austria

The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies is concerned by the recent Austrian invasion of the Republic of Venice. We note that any further aggressive actions into Italy will garner more than a verbal response.

To His Holiness Pope Pius VIII
From King Francis of Austria:

We accept your gracious invitation into the Catholic League. Heathens and heretics alike will no longer threaten the fabric of the Catholic world should we all hold strong and united against them.

To His Majesty King Ludwig of Bavaria
From King Francis of Austria

We invite you to join the Catholic League and secure ourselves from the possibility of protestant meddling in our affairs.

This would be the 71 hour warning.

We would be interested in joining the Catholic League if the offer is still on the table.

This would be your 44 hour waring

EQ, you said wanted to discuss stuff with me but then, once the relevant stuff was sent, nothing was discussed.

Battle of Changhcaran
Date: September 12-18, 1830
Attacker: Persian Imperial Army (8 Infantry Brigades 8 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades, Unknown Irregular Tribesmen)
Losses: 1 Infantry Brigade broken under attrition, 2 Cavalry brigades reassigned after the charge, 1 Cavalry Brigade lost in initial actions
Defender: Durrani Imperial Army (15 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades)
Losses: 2 Infantry brigades broken under attrition, 3 Infantry brigades smashed by the Second Charge, 3 Infantry Brigades lost to rout, 2 Cavalry Brigades lost in rearguard actions
Leading to the Battle: The area of Changhcaran is in flux since April, when the tribal war exploded into all out civil war in the area between the supremacy of the Tajiks and the Kakars tribes. This is, of course, a simplification; for any tribal conflict in Afghanistan is as complicated as a game in CIV with 200 civilizations, or more. However, this action, as well as recent hostilities with the Kazak Khanate and the Maratha Confederacy has locked the Durrani Army on various peace-keeping powers.
The Persian Imperial Army saw their chance at gaining a greater empire, or at least securing the collapse of a rival. They marched into the borderland on June, and bought the allegiance of the local Tajik. While the Durrani Army scrambled to assemble at Kabul, the Persian Army calmly secured a logistics train and the bribery machine at the border.
It was July when both armies began stirring out of their bases, having finished regrouping and eager for battle. While the Persians were slowed by the Tribal Warfare, it also gained them various Irregular recuits when they stood to intervene. The Durrani Army was demoralized by the loss of the border garrison and the civil war ahead, but eager nonetheless for battle. After a month’s march, their scouts meet near Changhcaran in September 12, 1830.
Changhcaran was a rather strategetic town; it was almost perfectly halfway between the Persian Borders near Herat and the Durrani Capital at Kabul. In addition, it guarded the foothills of the Hindu Kush range, leading to a low-mountaion pass then led to Baluchistan. It is around this town which the first major battle started.
The Battle: Both Armies were not expecting to meet the other this early in the year, but neither were they surprised. They were, after all, marching on the same road towards each other. While the Persian Imperial Army secured the town and its fortress on September 13 in a hard-fought skirmish, the Durrani Imperial Army arrived first on the bluffs outside (September 14) of town and prepared for the enemy attack.
On September 15, infantry skirmishes begun while the Persian Artillery Train was being unloaded under the bluffs. It was during such skirmishes where the Tajik Guides of the Persians proved their worth, negating any defensive knowledge which the Durrani held and overrunning some forward positions crucial to the letter battle. In the mean time, the rearguard reinforcements of the Durrani Army was ambushed by a Kakar raid and wiped out, and although it was possibly the result of a minor tribal feud, it too will have major impact on the battle.
September 16 was the calm before the storm as the Persian Artillary began pounding Durrani positions on the bluff. Their commanding terrain is almost useless without long-ranged weapons, although they did easily defeat various probing assaults. Meanwhile, the forward bases were being stocked with Persian troops as well as more mobile guns and mortars.
September 17 is the first day of the ‘Actual Battle’. After a huge bombardment, the infantry of the Persian Army surged up the bluff, catching the complacent Durrani infantry unprepared. In a hardfought struggle the Persians were repulsed. However, while the Persians retreated in good order, the Durrani line was broken, and without reinforcements were forced to leave the back of the bluff unguarded to repulse the next day’s assault.
On September 18, the Persians once again attacked the line, this time at the steep northern flanks. With more infantry marching behind the assault. they seemed to be trying to break the Durrani supply camp behind the bluffs. Suddenly, from the forward positions, the bombardment shifted to the southern edge of the line, which caused the Durrani infantry stationed there to break from their formation. The Persian Cavalry, lead to the bluffs by a Tajik Guide, exploited the collapse and rolled up the line, smashing the Durrani flank.
Faced with these double threats, the Durrani General had no choice but to order a retreat. However, hard pressed by infantry near the road, cavalry rolling up the southern flank and relentless artillery, the rest of the army broke and fled, and might have been destroyed except for the 3rd Kizilbashes Cavalry Regiment. They fought a deadly rearguard action ,to the death, at the pass. Only after repeated charges, bombardments and flank attacks lead by Tajik guides they were broken. The damage was done, however, and the main Durrani army escaped in one fashion or another to Kabul.
*The Bluffs is a ridge leading from the south to the northern edge of Changhcaran. The northern edge is tall above the road to Kabul, but the southern edge slowly smoothes out, which eventually gave the Persian Cavalry the chance to sneak to the Durrani Flanks with their Tajik guides. The back of the bluffs leads to a plateau and foothills.
Aftermath: This battle had many short-term consequences for the Durrani Empire. At its most basic level, it destroyed the moral and the cream of the Durrani Imperial Army and may have even caused its defeat at the hands of Persia. In addition, the Durrani Imperial Army gained respect of the Islamic Organization Style epitomized by the Persians, who made better use of Gunpower, Cavalry, and Artillery compared to that of the Durrani army. Finally, as the small fragments of the Imperial Army regroup at Kabul, they had new feelings about either sticking to tradition or changing to meet their foes.

@Shadowbound: Because it wasn't needed. You seem to have a good grasp on it, so all's well.

Top Bottom