Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

Once again, someone answers and OOC statement, in an IC capacity. :rolleyes:

Poorly thought out statement? You're joking, right?

You see, their is this thing called Steam Power. Steam Power quite easily could allow ships to move up stream, into say, the Great Lakes. From there, through Canal Systems, it wouldn't be difficult by any measure to make it to the Atlantic. This is also 1837. Not 1737. I don't have to run the gauntlet to get to the East Coast. It might not be ideal travel times, but I imagine abundant railways in the next 20 years should make the trip pretty easy.

Stop commenting on stuff you have absolutely nothing to do with from an IC platform, Arya.

@EQandcivfanatic, I banked 23 GSP this turn but it doesn't seem to be reflected in the stats.

OOC: Great update. Typical early westernization attempts by NESers was my only issue, but that's more of a pet peeve than an actual problem :p Also, do all divisions cost exactly the same? I found it odd that an artillery division could cost the same as an infantry division.

To King John IX,

I am writing for twofold reasons: one, as a means of practicing my handle of the written English language, and two, as a means of maintaining friendly correspondence. That I should favor one over the other goes without saying, but I will leave healthy ambiguity as to which is the case, for such mystery is the spice of life.

I have begun reading the finely bound copy of Hamlet you gave to me at our parting, and must report that it is, so far, unfathomable to me. The intricacies of European politics never cease to surprise me, with all of the decorum and none of the substance. It is, as Dunsinane said, in Macbeth, a tale told by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. It is my opinion that Shakespeare was extraordinarily clever, I am not sure if he is so well-received by most men of England.

I should also mention that the game of "cricket" you insisted that we observe during our stay - much to the chagrin of some in our party at the time - was truly fascinating. How do the hitters manage to strike the ball just so? Another mystery, I suppose.

I will close this letter rather short with a small question, as it has been persistent in my mind since you first mentioned it. Tell me, what is a "free society," truly?

I eagerly await your response, and wish you luck in your endeavors as the sovereign of the respectable United Kingdom.

Cordially,
Prince Yiwei

Meh, I guess I will just stay as Prussia. LoE, that means we still have a deal.

To: Poland

Cry me a river, you ain't gettin nothin.

@Immaculate: Well I wouldn't say it's the end of the republic, but while you did give a perfectly legitimate reason for war, that doesn't mean that your people have to buy it. Wanting have money is a perfectly good reason to take it all from someone else in a robbery. Doesn't mean that other people have to like it. As for why, well, it all plays into the fact that I've taken most of the choices out of my hands. I simply determined a number of possible results and that is what occurred.

@warman:

1. You are free to develop a training or regular project of some type to increase either your army or naval quality. The quality of results of such projects may vary.

2. No, the amount you have for the turn is what it says in your stats now.

@TheLizardKing: As you can see in the update, ANY proposal to weaken slavery as an institution would not be favorably received. No room for negotiation on that. And I'd say it's going to be more than the first 20 turns :p . Also, Slavery is indeed legal in the Spanish Empire.

@Lord of Elves: You may be right, I'll have to check. As it turned out the manner in which I did economic matters was poorly arranged. Quite a bit of economic things got mixed up and confused in the process of updating.

@The Tyrant. Milarqui is right. 25% of 20% is 5%. Therefore raising the tax from 20% to 25% is an increase of 25%.

To: Burgundy

You have no say in our internal affairs. Good day.

To Spain
From Milan

While the situation in the New World is unfortunate, we wish to inform you that Milan is behind Spain here. While we are appalled by Spanish actions at this place called 'Jacksonville', we admonish the Americans more for their blatant disregard for International Laws and Boundaries that firmly places Florida in Spanish possession, if the President of the United States cannot control his own citizens then perhaps he should not be ruling a country.

Wile we understand that such a minor and meaningless government such as ourselves pales in comparison to Britain or Spain herself, we simply wished to inform you that, for whatever it is worth, Milan supports you.

To Spain
From Milan

While the situation in the New World is unfortunate, we wish to inform you that Milan is behind Spain here. While we are appalled by Spanish actions at this place called 'Jacksonville', we admonish the Americans more for their blatant disregard for International Laws and Boundaries that firmly places Florida in Spanish possession, if the President of the United States cannot control his own citizens then perhaps he should not be ruling a country.

Wile we understand that such a minor and meaningless government such as ourselves pales in comparison to Britain or Spain herself, we simply wished to inform you that, for whatever it is worth, Milan supports you.

To Milan
From Empire of Holy Spain

We are heartened by your support in the matter of the rebellion of Florida.

To Spain
From Milan

Perhaps King Minh Mang misunderstood your statement, but it seems to me that you believe the leader of a democratic country such as the USA has the power, let alone the responsibility, to control, his/her citizens? I am afraid you misunderstand the principles of a democratic society my dear friend. In a democracy, the leader of a country represents the people, he does not control them.

Stop commenting on stuff you have absolutely nothing to do with from an IC platform, Arya.

I, King Minh Mang, am commenting on the situation as a neutral observer. Did my comment concern you? Then please take your own advice and stop commenting on stuff that does not concern you in any IC capacity.

OOC: You had no problem when Poland commented on it. Stop singling me out because of OOC reasons.

Once again, someone answers and OOC statement, in an IC capacity. :rolleyes:

OOC: It had no OOC tags, and it seemed to be both IC and OOC. Not only that, but you had mentioned how the spanish colonies would be worth nothing without american trade/workers/etc, and those previous times were quite obviously IC, and I was in fact responding to the whole issue regarding american trade and its effect on Spanish colonies, not a single statement, that may or may not have been intended to be IC or OOC.

Poorly thought out statement? You're joking, right?

You see, their is this thing called Steam Power. Steam Power quite easily could allow ships to move up stream, into say, the Great Lakes. From there, through Canal Systems, it wouldn't be difficult by any measure to make it to the Atlantic. This is also 1837. Not 1737. I don't have to run the gauntlet to get to the East Coast. It might not be ideal travel times, but I imagine abundant railways in the next 20 years should make the trip pretty easy.

You do realize that Steam Powered ships were not in any massive amounts of quantity at this time right?

And in any case, I do not believe that there is any water connection between the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes at this time.

Not only that, but the price of transportation would be increased dramatically, and you would lose one of your largest markets in New Orleans.

To Holy Spain
From Austria:

We have recently acquired a coastline and navy. We wish to send some of our naval officers to be trained in Spanish seamanship who would then return to reform the Austrian navy. Is this acceptable to His Catholic Majesty?

To: Spain, United States, All whom it may concern

We believe this situation has gotten out of control and, not because we are in an alliance with Spain, we agree with Spain in this situation. Also if a country that is 'ruled by the people' can't manage and control themselves then perhaps the United States should think of turning to a different method of government?

Portugal sees it in the best interest for everyone involved that the United States doesn't get into Spain's business. We would be disappointed to see violence stem from these verbal altercations, we may not agree completely with how Spain operates but it is their nation to do with how they feel is needed and that's their business and nobody else's.

EDIT: Not worth it.

To: Spain, United States, All whom it may concern

We believe this situation has gotten out of control and, not because we are in an alliance with Spain, we agree with Spain in this situation. Also if a country that is 'ruled by the people' can't manage and control themselves then perhaps the United States should think of turning to a different method of government?

Portugal sees it in the best interest for everyone involved that the United States doesn't get into Spain's business. We would be disappointed to see violence stem from these verbal altercations, we may not agree completely with how Spain operates but it is their nation to do with how they feel is needed and that's their business and nobody else's.

Okay, so its divided by color. Red:

...Perhaps Portugal is unfamiliar with the concept of Democracy. King Minh Mang, as in myself, is also slightly unfamiliar with it since it is not instituted yet in the great country of Vietnam. Yet, it does not take a Genius, nor a lifetime studying and experiencing democracy to understand how idiotic that last statement by your country was. Vietnam may try to be neutral in this 'crisis', but your talk was merely...idiotic.

The government DOES NOT exist to control the people. That would be a dictatorship, no? Not only that, but the 'people' in question were not even in their country at the time. They were living in the Spanish colony of Florida. And yet still, you fail to recognize that Humans are independent beings capable and willing to act for themselves. Talking of a government controlling its people would require the burning of the american constitution and bill of rights. Perhaps in Portugal and Spain, you may wish to control what your citizens do and deny them vital rights, but I can assure you, that most countries do not follow this barbaric policy of yours.

Tell Ming Mang, how would you propose the american governm,ent, within the confines of its laws and the documents it was founded upon and dependent on the sovereignty of Spain, control the actions of its citizens within the borders of Spain?

Yet not only did Spain fail to even give them a trial in Spain, let alone in their home country of america, they failed to give them a trial PERIOD, then continued to execute them. Tell me, King Minh Mang of Vietnam, what kind of emperor, especially one that follows the albeit heretic faith, yet loving faith, of Catholicism, orders the execution of an entire town?

As to the blue:

It is also the business of the USA because of the fact that their nationals, or in other words, citizens of the United States of America, were the ones executed for an act that should barely warrant a few arrests, a trial, and a few months in jail, if that. Instead, Spain committed GENOCIDE of American citizens. How is that NOT the business of the country those people came from?

To: Vietnam

I believe you misunderstood me, I wasn't saying their government should control them I was merely saying the people can't control themselves. Also I don't agree with how Spain killed them I am just saying I don't suggest that the United States get involved, you first said they were living in the Spanish colony and yet they're citizens of the United States yet if they're in a Spanish colony they should be considered Spanish citizens.

Yes I believe the Spanish should have gone about the situation completely different but that is not for me to impose on them. I'm suggesting that the United States just not get involved with Spain in this situation, we would support the United States purchasing the colony from Spain because I believe it would be better for the people of the colony.

OOC: Why does Vietnam care about what Portugal is doing and vice versa? :p I haven't paid much attention to this, but it all seems rather silly that Vietnamese nobility would care much about Spain and the United States. Whatever.

And EQ, do all different divisions cost the same?

OOC: Arya likes to stick himself in other nations business, no matter where he is.

Top Bottom