Ask Dennis Shirk about Civ V: Gods & Kings (submissions closed!)

I think you might've misread my post, I wasn't commenting on the waiting, I was responding to the post above me, who was very criticizing of the the post above his.

Correct, I misread your post. I'll update it.

All we want is new info.

If all of the answers are gonna be "we can't discuss it yet" then people will be angered.

Haha, oh no I definitely agree. I want to hear too. :D

I can just imagine what would happen if they "confirm" a new feature that they can't use (for whatever reason) in the final release . . .

Haha, oh no I definitely agree. I want to hear too. :D

I can just imagine what would happen if they "confirm" a new feature that they can't use (for whatever reason) in the final release . . .

Actually, they technically finished the game, and are now polishing the stuff out so it woks nicely. I heard that in one of the articles or Ed's interview.

Haha, or else . . . what? Honestly, it's that kind of attitude that will keep them from trying things like this or wanting to say anything. Why do you think they are afraid to give specific release dates for patches any more? Because of that one time something happened in the last minute and they had the nerve to delay it by a few days and people started acting as if someone ate their puppies.

You know, I originally only wanted to write the first sentence, but then I though, "I can't just make a 1 sentence post; I need to write someting else." So I quickly typed up the second sentence without giving it much thought.

Believe me, I didn't mean to give off a sense of entlement. I don't feel that Firaxis/2K is obligated to give us any information before the XP is released. But, OTOH, I have seen on other games' fansites where they have an "Ask the Devs" segment and most of the answers are along the lines of, "Gee, I wish I could talk about that, but I can't." Then when I'm done reading, I am left with a sense of "well that was pointless. I didn't learn anything new." I hope Dennis doesn't do too much of that (although I'm sure he'll have to do a bit of it). This fansite does tend to be more mature, educated, and sophisticated than most of the ones I have seen.

You know, I originally only wanted to write the first sentence, but then I though, "I can't just make a 1 sentence post; I need to write someting else." So I quickly typed up the second sentence without giving it much thought.

Believe me, I didn't mean to give off a sense of entlement. I don't feel that Firaxis/2K is obligated to give us any information before the XP is released. But, OTOH, I have seen on other games' fansites where they have an "Ask the Devs" segment and most of the answers are along the lines of, "Gee, I wish I could talk about that, but I can't." Then when I'm done reading, I am left with a sense of "well that was pointless. I didn't learn anything new." I hope Dennis doesn't do too much of that (although I'm sure he'll have to do a bit of it). This fansite does tend to be more mature, educated, and sophisticated than most of the ones I have seen.

Well, rereading my post, I see it came across as a little more "mean" than I intended. Sorry about that--I think I read you wrong.

Personally, I'd be happy with a broad overview of what things are and how they'll work, instead of getting into the details that I'm sure others want to know (and might get tweaked still anyhow).

Well, rereading my post, I see it came across as a little more "mean" than I intended. Sorry about that--I think I read you wrong.

Personally, I'd be happy with a broad overview of what things are and how they'll work, instead of getting into the details that I'm sure others want to know (and might get tweaked still anyhow).

I'm anxious to find out the 3 other new civs, although they'll probably release that info slowly as a built-up to the eventual release. Everything else I can wait for in a more patient manner.

I remember when Civ 3 was announced and the Civ 3 website would have a write-up on a new civ every Friday until the game came out. I enjoyed reading about the history of the new civ and its leader before I left work on Fridays. This game and this forum have tought me so much great stuff about different civilizations over the years.

I'm anxious to find out the 3 other new civs, although they'll probably release that info slowly as a built-up to the eventual release. Everything else I can wait for in a more patient manner.

I remember when Civ 3 was announced and the Civ 3 website would have a write-up on a new civ every Friday until the game came out. I enjoyed reading about the history of the new civ and its leader before I left work on Fridays. This game and this forum have tought me so much great stuff about different civilizations over the years.

Haha, I was actually going to mention that! The "Civ of the Week" or whatever it was called . . .

Yeah, I think Civ3 did it right. One a week for 9 weeks would be fun. It'll drag things out to pretty close to the game too. They can include some pretty graphics and, ideally, even videos with the leader.

Even though the first five weeks wouldn't even reveal a new civ, they could tell us UU, UA, etc. to make up for that. Maybe even a quick walk through like they did for DLC.

Yeah, I think Civ3 did it right. One a week for 9 weeks would be fun. It'll drag things out to pretty close to the game too. They can include some pretty graphics and, ideally, even videos with the leader.

Even though the first five weeks wouldn't even reveal a new civ, they could tell us UU, UA, etc. to make up for that. Maybe even a quick walk through like they did for DLC.

I wouldn't want vidoes of the new leaders (maybe in-game though, but not leader screens) because I wanna savour the pleasure of seeing it for the first time myself.

Same was with Portal 2, when I saw all the vidoes I was kinda annoyed, because it just wasn't as fun (and then I ended up spoling myself accidently the whole game)

Well, you can always not click on them. Before Civ5 was released and they had them, it was fun watching them.

And that's why we don't have answers yet. If they released the questions and answers right now it would be a long list of "We can't talk about this right now".

I garauntee that they promised exclusivity to various media outlets in exchange for publicity. If they just dumped out all the answers, the media outlets wouldn't have anything that would make you click their links and give them advertizing dollars. So they won't do anything to help Firaxis with publicity if Firaxis stabbed them in the back by giving out the media outlets' goods (exclusive info) for free.

Not to mention the "if I tell you now, but change it later, I will look like a liar" business. Nothing is set in stone until the product is shipped.

They could just do it on the gaming site.

They could just do it on the gaming site.

Well, I know personally that if they "confirmed" a feature that ended up not being in the game because it didn't work correctly at the time of release, I would feel slightly betrayed.

my interest in civ5 has been reignited by G+K, which is good, but i do find the older i get, the less patience I am (I'm sure it should be the other way round;))

so as a way keeping me sane, any chance you could drip feed the Questions which 'we' have submitted :)

Anyone else feeling like they're going to release the game first, then answer the questions? :lol:

Errr... can you set up a joke for April's fools before the actual day?

Anyway, don't think so, it's just standard administration delaying procedure.

You could release the list of accepted and rejected questions. We could gain some information (speculate wildly) based on this alone.

Top Bottom