The Pros and Cons of an Early Manufactory

Not quite true. It will hook up any strategic resource but not any of the luxury ones. So when it comes to mining, it won't help with Gold, Silver, Gems, Salt, or Copper. But go ahead and plant it on Iron, Coal, Aluminum, and Uranium (or Horses and Oil).

Uh, are you quoting the right post?

I thought alL GP tile improvements connect luxury resources? I know for a fact that the great prophet does.

If you are cranking out experienced units, then why not let the AI build the wonders for you?

Oh, Mesix, not everyone can control units as well as you can. :lol: Some of us would rather have a guaranteed wonder than the off-chance that our military strategies don't work.

Uh, are you quoting the right post?

I thought alL GP tile improvements connect luxury resources? I know for a fact that the great prophet does.

Maaaaaybe the Prophet hooks up luxuries, but I'm 100% positive other great people don't. Learned this the hard way a few games ago when I put a landmark on a luxury and lost 4 happiness :(

Great Person tile improvements hook up strategic resources which appear under the tile improvement (i.e. iron, coal, etc.). They do not hook up luxury resources (i.e. marble, dyes, etc.) which are on the map at the beginning of the game. If you have already improved a strategic resource (e.g. coal with a mine) then replacing the intended tile improvement with a Great Person tile improvement will cause you to lose access to this resource. I haven't tested whether they hook up strategic resources which are present on the map (but not yet improved) when the great tile improvement is placed.

Generally is it better to place a manufactory (or any GP improvement, really) onto an already good tile or onto a less-useful tile? I'm sure there are a lot of factors to consider here, but is there a general rule of thumb?

For example, GE spawns near capital, I want to plant him. Would it be better to put him onto an unimproved Desert or Marsh tile, or onto an unimproved plains Riverside hill?

Generally is it better to place a manufactory (or any GP improvement, really) onto an already good tile or onto a less-useful tile? I'm sure there are a lot of factors to consider here, but is there a general rule of thumb?

For example, GE spawns near capital, I want to plant him. Would it be better to put him onto an unimproved Desert or Marsh tile, or onto an unimproved plains Riverside hill?

For a GE specifically, I want it on flat land. On a hill, I could get a mine for more production anyway. On flat tiles near a production city, a GE is the difference between having tons of hammers from that tile or having little or none.

With GA's and GS's, I always think it depends more on how my empire looks. I want them where the national wonder will make them even better. Prophets, I normally put on otherwise poor land, so if I need faith, it's there but if I get everything I want with faith for a time, the improvement doesn't need to be worked because it's on a nice riverside tile, nor does it prevent a nice alternate improvement.

You also want to have the :c5food: from working the tile. Place it on a grassland for 2 :c5food: and 4 :c5production: or place it on a plains for 1 :c5food: and 5 :c5production:.

I wouldn't place it on a desert tile unless you have Petra in that city. A marsh tile could be good, because building the Manufactory will remove the marsh (making it a grassland).

Placing it next to a river will also give you 1 :c5gold: from the tile. I like to place them on plains near the river because grasslands next to the river all get farms in my games.

What about a banana? You still get the bonus food from a granary right? That's 4 food and 5 production.

PS

If you settle on a marsh, you get the 'bonus' of instantly clearing it when planting.

You also want to have the :c5food: from working the tile. Place it on a grassland for 2 :c5food: and 4 :c5production: or place it on a plains for 1 :c5food: and 5 :c5production:.

I wouldn't place it on a desert tile unless you have Petra in that city. A marsh tile could be good, because building the Manufactory will remove the marsh (making it a grassland).

Placing it next to a river will also give you 1 :c5gold: from the tile. I like to place them on plains near the river because grasslands next to the river all get farms in my games.

Sorry. I didn't see this before posting. Yes this sums it up perfectly. Although Mesix, I'm curious as to what is your opinion about planting GP tiles on hills?

I generally put mines on my hills.

Here is a screenshot of a recent OCC cultural victory. The great person tiles near the river were farms for much of the game which were replaced with Landmarks towards the end of the game when growth was no longer a priority.
Spoiler :

Here is a screenshot of a recent OCC cultural victory. The great person tiles near the river were farms for much of the game which were replaced with Landmarks towards the end of the game when growth was no longer a priority.
Spoiler :

Interesting! Can I ask what was the map type and difficulty level?

This was a test game for GOTM-44. As such, I tried to replicate the settings as much as possible. The map type was unknown in the announcement so I used a standard continents map. I did not use map maker to replicate the starting position so the land and resources in my OCC position are not representative, but the other settings gave me a feel for Korea OCC Cultural Victory at Warlord difficulty. I think this test game was accidentally generated on a small map size rather than the standard map size of the actual competition.

Spoiler :

Faith from foreign followers?

+2 :c5faith: per wonder (for every wonder) plus several :c5faith: producing buildings/wonders (i.e Pagoda, Mosque (free from Great Mosque), Stonehenge, etc.)

Top Bottom