Eternal War: milking a defeated enemy

Here is what I was writing about:
New peace deals. Now 9 AI levels instead of the previous 5 (so one new level added between each of the earlier ones). Peace levels are now:
0: White Peace (give up nothing)
1: Armistice (1/2 gold, 1/2 of max GPT)
2: Settlement (all gold, max GPT)
3: Back-down (all luxuries, all gold, max GPT, open borders)
4: Submission (all resources, all gold, max GPT, open borders)
5: Surrender (one city)
6: Cession (1/4 city value, 1/2 gold)
7: Capitulation (1/3 city value, all gold)
8: Unconditional Surrender (all but capital, all gold)

I understand that it's unverified. I'm just commenting on the possibility.

Even if Loki is right, it seems like a bad system without some sort of cassus belli system to counterbalance it. If someone attacks me, steals a worker, kills my troops, invades my lands, etc., I don't think I should be under any obligation to accept "peace for peace."

I understand that it's unverified. I'm just commenting on the possibility.

Even if Loki is right, it seems like a bad system without some sort of cassus belli system to counterbalance it. If someone attacks me, steals a worker, kills my troops, invades my lands, etc., I don't think I should be under any obligation to accept "peace for peace."

Civ absolutely needs a Casus Belli system. I can't even imagine it would be that hard to implement. E.g.:

Borders touching = Casus belli.
Caught spying = casus belli.
Built a wonder I coveted = Casus Belli.
Warmongering = Diplo hit.

Civ absolutely needs a Casus Belli system. I can't even imagine it would be that hard to implement. E.g.:

Borders touching = Casus belli.
Caught spying = casus belli.
Built a wonder I coveted = Casus Belli.
Warmongering = Diplo hit.

I completely agree. It drives me crazy that the AI is allowed to get away with things you couldn't do without generating diplomacy hits. If I catch a guy spying and otherwise being a tool, I shouldn't be considered a warmonger for declaring war. Or at least it should reduce the diplo hit somewhat for each act that contributes to just cause.

It feels broken that I have to goad an AI into declaring war on me in order to avoid the diplo hits. It feels like I'm gaming the system. I wish the diplomacy feelings between AIs were visible. It feels like the AI constantly does things that should get them in trouble, without repercussion, but maybe I only think that because I can't see the diplomatic status between two AIs. Sure, I've seen Gandhi denounce England for attacking me, but realistically, that's not such a bad thing for an AI to be denounced.

Like, I'm not really convinced it hurts an AI to have bad diplomatic status the same way it hurts a player. Don't get me wrong, I like that diplomacy is important, but I wish it didn't feel... broken.

I completely agree. It drives me crazy that the AI is allowed to get away with things you couldn't do without generating diplomacy hits. If I catch a guy spying and otherwise being a tool, I shouldn't be considered a warmonger for declaring war. Or at least it should reduce the diplo hit somewhat for each act that contributes to just cause.

It feels broken that I have to goad an AI into declaring war on me in order to avoid the diplo hits. It feels like I'm gaming the system. I wish the diplomacy feelings between AIs were visible. It feels like the AI constantly does things that should get them in trouble, without repercussion, but maybe I only think that because I can't see the diplomatic status between two AIs. Sure, I've seen Gandhi denounce England for attacking me, but realistically, that's not such a bad thing for an AI to be denounced.

Like, I'm not really convinced it hurts an AI to have bad diplomatic status the same way it hurts a player. Don't get me wrong, I like that diplomacy is important, but I wish it didn't feel... broken.

It has to be this way or else diplomacy (for those that pay attention to it) would be even more advantageous for the human player, being able to do more things without negative consequences.

Psst. "Udder" isn't an adjective synonymous with "absolute". "Utter" is...and "utter cheesiness" isn't a pun. :D

Milk comes from udders, that's what I was getting at. Then milk turns into cheese.
Sorry for the bad pun, everyone...

Here is what I was writing about:
New peace deals. Now 9 AI levels instead of the previous 5 (so one new level added between each of the earlier ones). Peace levels are now:
0: White Peace (give up nothing)
1: Armistice (1/2 gold, 1/2 of max GPT)
2: Settlement (all gold, max GPT)
3: Back-down (all luxuries, all gold, max GPT, open borders)
4: Submission (all resources, all gold, max GPT, open borders)
5: Surrender (one city)
6: Cession (1/4 city value, 1/2 gold)
7: Capitulation (1/3 city value, all gold)
8: Unconditional Surrender (all but capital, all gold)

Does anyone know how the AI calculates defeat? Is it based on how many units they still have? Or your average damage output against them? I'd like to know.

Sounds interesting...I don't think that you get a penalty hit when you refuse peace. That would be stupid and outrageous, for the many reasons that have already been posted.

Milk comes from udders, that's what I was getting at. Then milk turns into cheese.
Sorry for the bad pun, everyone...

Some of us got it the first time, without the need for explanation or apology....

Top Bottom