Test pitboss

Ok in, no problems. Here's my start:

Spoiler :

I'm wondering about moving to that hill where my warrior is, to reduce the number of ocean tiles my city has, but that will cost a turn, trade a fish for a clam, add a glacial tile and destroy a potentially useful forest. So I'll probably just settle where I am unless someone posts brilliant reasoning arguing otherwise. :) Either way this looks like a good city for the Moai Statues.

I'm at the south pole so Chimera, we probably won't see each other for a little while.

Good luck everyone.

Attachments

• Test_Start.jpg
    Test_Start.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 277
@grant2004

It's better to settle in place I think, because the fish is a lot better than a fourth clam and you don't want ice tiles or the wasted turn. It's a lot of seafood you have there. Food = good.

I got a error message when I logged on to the game? The game started fine though.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 137
I disagree, clearly its because I'm the most skill full player here. I once beat a game on Warlord...
Omg, you're going to pwn all of us noobs single-handedly then. :D

And I'm actually leading after this turn as well :p
Cool. :)

Here is my start:

Its a decent start. I was lucky enough to pop a scout out of the tribal village next to my warrior which allowed for some extra exploration to the south revealing another resource which was nice. Settled in place with 3 good resources.
Nice... plains-hill start, and on a river too. I always like that. Looking pretty decent with food, especially if that other resource you revealed is another food one. A very good production city.

@grant2004

It's better to settle in place I think, because the fish is a lot better than a fourth clam and you don't want ice tiles or the wasted turn. It's a lot of seafood you have there. Food = good.
Agree 100% with this. Stick with your current location, the food will be very powerful for building a tonne of Workers and Settlers, not to mention whipping power. (Looks like you're at the south pole, by the way.) ;)

By the way, I just had a thought. If Chimera1804 is going to be busy in the weekends, maybe he could arrange so that SilentConfusion could play while he's away? I'll leave it up to you guys, but it sounds like it could be a good arrangement to me. :)

I got a error message when I logged on to the game? The game started fine though.
Do you have any mods or graphics changes applied to your version of Civ4? Perhaps the BUG mod or Blue Marble terrain, or something similar? That's usually the cause of a message like that. As long as the game isn't clearly bugged when you log into it (research times of 1 turn or something) then I wouldn't worry about it too much, although it's best to set any mods such as BUG to only act in single player so as not to potentially mess things up. :)

By the way, I just had a thought. If Chimera1804 is going to be busy in the weekends, maybe he could arrange so that SilentConfusion could play while he's away? I'll leave it up to you guys, but it sounds like it could be a good arrangement to me. :)

That may work. Just so happens that tomorrow will be my busiest for a while (hooray for 72 hour starting timer :D) so after that I may be able to play my turns, but we'll see. I'll get back to you after having played through a weekend on the 24 hour timer. ;) EDIT: Although...at the rate we're going here we'll be on turn 4 or so by tomorrow :p

Also, Daveshack, could you post the civstats link in the OP?

I'm really not sure I should post my start, but in the interest of fun and fair play, here goes ;)

Spoiler :

Corn? Check. Floodplains? Check. Double gold? Check! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No prizes for guessing why I remained unsettled at the end of this turn.

Nice one, v8_mark! :D

See BCLG, I told you I didn't get the best one. :p Plains-hill, same amount of flood plains, two gold, Corn instead of Rice. Yup, definitely better. ;)

Do you have any mods or graphics changes applied to your version of Civ4? Perhaps the BUG mod or Blue Marble terrain, or something similar? That's usually the cause of a message like that. As long as the game isn't clearly bugged when you log into it (research times of 1 turn or something) then I wouldn't worry about it too much, although it's best to set any mods such as BUG to only act in single player so as not to potentially mess things up. :)

I have no idea. I aint got bug installed. And I have no mods in ...\mygames\beyondthesword\mods. I got LoR installed which has an archive ...\mygames\beyondthesword\LoR with revdcm and more but that shouldn't affect bts.

I'm really not sure I should post my start, but in the interest of fun and fair play, here goes ;)

Spoiler :

Corn? Check. Floodplains? Check. Double gold? Check! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No prizes for guessing why I remained unsettled at the end of this turn.

Nice start, and yeah easy choice to move, an extra gold is well worth the loss of a floodplain.

Also thanks for the comments on my start everyone. I will pop in place. I was leaning that way anyway. I almost never move if it costs me a turn.

Nice start, and yeah easy choice to move, an extra gold is well worth the loss of a floodplain.

Actually doesn't lose a flood plain, because although he moved away from one he opened up the one he was standing on.

Actually doesn't lose a flood plain, because although he moved away from one he opened up the one he was standing on.
In fact, if he settled in place, he'd only have 3 available flood plains (settling on a flood plain turns it to desert). So he actually gains a flood plain by settling on the plains hill. That's certainly one crazy start. :crazyeye:

Which one does he move away from? Simply settling 1W gives him all the floodplains he'd have settling in place PLUS the one he's standing on...and then both the golds as well.

EDIT: sorry LP...posts crossed...

Which one does he move away from? Simply settling 1W gives him all the floodplains he'd have settling in place PLUS the one he's standing on...and then both the golds as well.

You're right. He doesn't lose any. I just assumed grant was right when he said he lost one.

So out of interest, here's the breakdown of what teams everyone is from:

Sirius:
DaveShack
Lord Parkin
azzaman333
Allan79
hell_hound
Irgy
champinoman

Mavericks:
Chimera
v8_mark
Ceiliazul

CDZ:
BCLG100
Robi D

Amazon:
nabaxo

Merlot:
Donovan Zoi

Admins:
classical_hero

Undecided:
grant2004

So we actually have representatives from every team apart from Quatronia! That's kind of cool. Almost half of us are from Sirius, which is kind of funny. And if grant2004 happens to join Quatronia, we'll have representatives from every team plus the game admins. (Not that this should influence his decision, though.) :)

I'll be looking forward to my start tonight. Gold is well represented, maybe I'll get silver or furs!

Yeah. It really wasn't a difficult decision to move onto the plains hill in this situation...

Ah, you went to the hill that makes sense. Yeah I assumed you were going to go nw and settle on the other flood plains so as to avoid losing the turn, I like the hill location too.

Ah, you went to the hill that makes sense. Yeah I assumed you were going to go nw and settle on the other flood plains so as to avoid losing the turn, I like the hill location too.

Yeah, the hill for the extra hammer in the city tile, all four flood plains and both golds. I figured it was worth losing a turn, especially with the extra hammer.

A small amount of analysis, for those interested. Feel free to skip this post if it doesn't interest you. :)

Civs

Trait analysis

Tech analysis

Unique Units/Buildings

Anyway, hope this was interesting and informative to some of you. Game on, people! :D

I quite enjoyed this post and look forward to more of this when the private forums are setup for Sirius. Its gonna be some fun :)

Top Bottom