Anyone care to advise?

Tidy

Chieftain
Playing an extremely interesting (to me, anyway) Aztec game on an East v West map, Prince difficulty. I'm really little more than a novice, and find myself sandwiched between several factions in multiple directions.

I thought there might be some difference in opinion in which way to go with this game.

Historically, I've had trouble getting on with England and Japan, but have been reasonably friendly with the other civs.

If anyone's interested in having a look, advice (and helpful criticism) would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Aztecs.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
May get more comments with screenshots.

If diplomacy is your game, check global politics for the most denounced Civ. Don't declare friendship with them and consider denouncing them if the risk is low.

Sorry, I thought the "upload a save game" approach was standard practice. I'll remember to use screenies next time.

Thanks for the tips too!

Save games work too, require a bit more effort thorough :) You aiming for any particular victory condition ?

Here is what I noticed:

- Onondaga has nearly all the wonders. Go take them ;). You have the biggest military, so just get 2-3 more trebuchets. Greece has some nice luxuries too.
- You have little science. Leave the jungle tiles and build universities. Universities not only increase science themselves but jungle tiles give an additional 2 science when worked if you have one in your city.
- You should build more culture buildings. The social policies are really powerful when they add up.
- You should discover the civs in the east. This gives additional trading possibilities (at least the cheap 50 gold for open borders) and helps your science because you get a reduction on science costs the more civs you know know the desired technology.

Actually you seem strong enof to overtake everything that is on your side of the canal :).

This is just my 2 cents, but I am certainly not a deity player - immortal only.

Save games work too, require a bit more effort thorough :) You aiming for any particular victory condition ?

Well, I'm a useless planner with this game, to be honest. I don't set objectives and follow them through based on a situation, I just tend to see how it pans out. As long as I keep a reasonably good military I'm probably overly casual about where to go with it.

Thanks for those tips, Bob. I've played a bit more, prior to your post, and found that the entire other-side of the canal is completely empty - it's a massive continent with only barbarians roaming around on it! Definite job for myself is to get a settler over there asap!

I have managed to wipe out Japan and take both Osaka and Kyoto. One's a puppet state, I think I've annexed t'other.

I also wasn't aware of the jungle-science thing. Note to self for next time - keep some jungle!!!

If Hiawatha makes himself unpopular anytime soon, I'll also make sure to go for his capital!

Thanks again!

I'll help ya... give me a day or two.

I've gone past the point of that save game so I wouldn't want you to waste your time.

I'll probably start a new game soon (keep meaning to play one as India for some reason)....I'm sure when I'm stuck I'll get the screenshots ready. :)

I've gone past the point of that save game so I wouldn't want you to waste your time.

I'll probably start a new game soon (keep meaning to play one as India for some reason)....I'm sure when I'm stuck I'll get the screenshots ready. :)

Nah, I can do savegames too. I also think I could give you a bit more pointers about the game itself.

If you don't mind, it would be much appreciated!

Alright, I've finally gotten around to playing this for five to six turns so far. Some thoughts and observations...

Spoiler :

1) The first was the most glaring. Why only two cities and a puppet? Someone earlier on has pointed it out, but with such a tight space, you could have gone warmongering on the Songhai, Arabs and English in the first 100 turns or so with Composite Bowmen to get more cities than your current setup

2) Only 106 beakers per turn at 1700 AD? Even at Epic speed, this is seriously bad juju, and you did not even build any Universities to staff. Bad stuff, especially as you are chugging into Industrial because techs will get a lot more expensive. Next time after you unlock Education, straight away build them in your production cities or if they are busy/super low on hammers, rushbuy them. Your pop has grown into a powerhouse capable of supporting Uni staff plus production focus to wonderspam, make use of that.

Spoiler :

3) Why did you declare war on your friend... and then not conquer him at all, or at least take his capital and leave him to one city? Again, this is a bad move - its bad enough that "declare war on leaders you've made DoFs with" modifier is permanent and ingrained into every other civ from that moment, its a nightmare you left him alive (to take revenge)!

Next time if you want to do that, make sure you take some of your "friend's" cities up to and including his capital.

4) Two scouts that are not doing anything. Send them over to the east, even if there is only city-states (this is East vs West where every major civ is crammed on one side, amirite?)

5) I also noticed that your puppet and your core cities are not linked, and that there is an Incan puppet capital in between. This is the moment where you should flex your military muscles and thrash the Incans good. Their man cities are blocked by hostile Greeks and your former Japanese friends, so they should not have much if at anything at all in that puppet.

Now this is WHAT you can do to ensure the Incans are distracted for good:

Spoiler :

You had a ton of potential friends and warmonger attack dogs, all willing to do your dirty work for really cheap prices (66 gold on Epic!). Be more aware of your diplo surroundings - rummage through the diplomacy screens of every individual leaders and the overview to see how you can play The Great Game.

6) Now, with the Incans distracted by a huge margin (Napoleon presumably has his Musketeers by now), we come to warmongering and the Power of One Trebuchet:

Spoiler :

There's a lot of jungle in the way, but there are some hills south of Gao. You want the Trebuchet to be really safe, so bring in a ton of forces and put it in a rough place like that jungle tile right above that northern Incan Pikemen:

Spoiler :

The Incans happen to have a tiny garrison in Gao, but this should be dealt with your Pikemen, Crossbows and use your horse units to conduct Zones of Control on them.

Also note the power of a Trebuchet in bringing down Gao's 22 strength (now 19 without garrison) defense:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The scout was there for no reason other than to create what I like to term "Target Paralysis" - giving your opposition too many targets to hit, it will end up hitting the most weakest and obvious one. So in this case, the scout died so your other stuff can continue besieging Gao without much concern

Also see that Knight above pillaged farm? Do that regularly to all your future target cities - it will starve down pop growth in a puppet considerably, especially if all farm and wheat tiles have been burnt, and you will get gold out of it too! Also if this was an AI production city, it will slow down whatever units they may want to produce to throw you out.

Spoiler :

Now here is another way of creating Target Paralysis: forcing down the city defenses with one of your melee meatshields. AIs will tend to pick off your most heavily wounded stuff, like this wounded Pikemen, and saving your more precious siege engines or ranged units from immediate extinction. Don't be afraid - a Treb is pretty tough and it would take at least something like a strength 60 city plus ranged garrison to one-shot it in rough terrain like that jungle tile.

Spoiler :

With the city defenses whittled down to red, I can now use my crossbowmen to pick it off even further to zero health and take the city with another Pike.

Spoiler :

This example only applies when your foes are not rolling with superior units (Gatling guns/cannons) or a big chunk of them (more than 5 units). Always bring more siege engines and ranged units to cover your melees - here's a tip: it is possible for you to bring down an Industrial city at strength 60. Just bring a lot of them (4-5 would be good, especially if backed by a GG and meatshields), make use of Target Paralysis and ranged units to cover your melees, and you can carve your own empire of glory.:king:

Spoiler :

Finally, I noticed that you have a religion and yet its not being properly utilized. There are great stuff like Peace Loving, Interfaith Dialogue and Growth If Not At War, but if its not even majority religion in your own two cities, then don't bother with religion at all. Don't be afraid to go to war with your fellows if they happen to spam a Great Prophet(s) or Missionaries your way, keep your religion safe, build more temples when you can spare the time and make Taffism the dominant one for all time, in all games.

Hope this helped :)

Thanks...I'm not the one who asked for help, but nevertheless, this forum is very interesting and gave me a lot of material to play around with. Will definitely try the save, at some point.

Hope this helped :)

Wow, you've certainly put some time into that post - most informative. There's stuff that goes on in this game that I don't even see half the time.

I'll have to dissect that bit by bit to get to grips with it all, but you certainly know what you're talking about.

Thanks for the help!

Wow, you've certainly put some time into that post - most informative. There's stuff that goes on in this game that I don't even see half the time.

I'll have to dissect that bit by bit to get to grips with it all, but you certainly know what you're talking about.

Thanks for the help!

Yep, same here...definitely gonna be fun. Thanks for starting the post!

Top Bottom