Patch Thoughts?

We'll see how AI handles naval invasions, what with "bringing slightly more forces for sneak attacks at high difficulties" and the nerf to BBs.

Pictish warriors just became so much better. Upgrade straight to pikes, muskets and infantry with what essantially is march (or even better, stack it with march) and faith killing bonuses. PHWOAR!

Pictish warriors just became so much better. Upgrade straight to pikes, muskets and infantry with what essantially is march (or even better, stack it with march) and faith killing bonuses. PHWOAR!

IIRC the upgrade path is now Spears - Pikes - Lancers - Anti-Tank Gun - Helicopter

Or something like that...

Well, I like the diplomacy advances and the fact that on a defensive pact they`ll return your captured city to you. It all seems quite realistic and logical. Just wish GDR was an optional `do not use` in the settings.

Well, I like the diplomacy advances and the fact that on a defensive pact they`ll return your captured city to you. It all seems quite realistic and logical. Just wish GDR was an optional `do not use` in the settings.

We'll have to see the diplomacy in action before we decide too much. I'm going to laugh if a civ going for diplo victory liberates my BFF and he goes on to vote for me in the UN for instance. I also have to wonder how the changes with CS's related to diplomacy will change things. It seems you'll be forced to make major civs angry with protection less often and those negative modifiers will disappear more quickly.

In a game where writing leads to poetry, what's wrong with the GDR? The former is actually much less realistic.

I want my Future Era expansion now!

I feel they should do something. The GDRs seem out of place to me. I feel we need to make them feel at home. A new era that fits futuristic techs and units into the game would take care of that issue. :)

I feel they should do something. The GDRs seem out of place to me. I feel we need to make them feel at home. A new era that fits futuristic techs and units into the game would take care of that issue. :)

I think we can agree... the past is over!

They nerfed Happiness from religion and mercantile city-states! That's a good change. Sadly, they did nothing about Ceremonial Burial and actually made Peace Loving work, so the two biggest offenders are still there.

I have nothing against religion giving happiness.

I only have something against the guy who builds one or two shrines and can still get it going though.

Immortal+ has nothing to do with Persia - it's shorthand for the Immortal/Deity difficulty levels.

I was referring to the suggestion that Greek Hoplites will now seem a dangerous proposition, not the difficulty level comment. The currently not-really-viable Hoplite rush didn't get any particular boost; the already-viable Immortal Rush did.

Just wish GDR was an optional `do not use` in the settings.

Can't you just not build them? I've practically never seen the AI build them, so if the player doesn't then to all intents and purposes they don't exist.

I'm going to laugh if a civ going for diplo victory liberates my BFF and he goes on to vote for me in the UN for instance.

As far as I'm aware, a liberated civ is still forced to vote for its liberator (and all the civs I've liberated post-G&K have voted for me) whatever their diplomatic relations, so this won't happen. One bizarre thing that could happen is if a civ liberates another, somehow goes to war with it later in the game, and then captures the last city that would otherwise have voted for that civ...

There's also a need to fix the "civ votes for best friend when it's not in their interest" thing - so no more "Genghis can stop me winning diplo by voting for Nebby instead of me, but votes for me anyway because he's at war with Nebby". This tactical voting always applied in previous Civ games, and it would be good to see it back.

I was referring to the suggestion that Greek Hoplites will now seem a dangerous proposition, not the difficulty level comment. The currently not-really-viable Hoplite rush didn't get any particular boost; the already-viable Immortal Rush did.

How is the immortal rush getting buffed? If anything it sorta got subtly nerfed because everyone else can use it better.

You can't Pillage and then heal, and everyone can pillage and then attack/do nothing.

If anything the Greeks are easily climbing into my top tiers because of the subtle patronage buffs, and both UU units getting subtle easy to use buffs.

Only thing I like about Persia in all this, is that the extra MP during golden ages makes it a little easier to move and pillage.

As far as I'm aware, a liberated civ is still forced to vote for its liberator (and all the civs I've liberated post-G&K have voted for me) whatever their diplomatic relations, so this won't happen. One bizarre thing that could happen is if a civ liberates another, somehow goes to war with it later in the game, and then captures the last city that would otherwise have voted for that civ...

There's also a need to fix the "civ votes for best friend when it's not in their interest" thing - so no more "Genghis can stop me winning diplo by voting for Nebby instead of me, but votes for me anyway because he's at war with Nebby". This tactical voting always applied in previous Civ games, and it would be good to see it back.

Only CS's have to vote for the liberator, but civs always vote for the person they like the most. The bonus is pretty darn huge, but one game I was warring a ton, Darius built te UN, and I started trying to kill his CS allies (we were at war) and liberated Siam. He won by 1 vote, Siam's, since he absolutely hated me for being a "warmongering menace to the world."

I like the voting as is, and would like to see civs given more power in the vote. Tactical voting would cause diplo victory to be even more about buying out all the CS's (since the civs would always avoid voting for you to keep you from winning as you got more CS allies). It worked ok in CIV because it wasn't simply one vote per civ and CS, as it is now (though it was still silly that taking over half the world was the best way to win a diplo victory). Heck, I'd like to see the human player further restricted, such as having to vote for a civ that you have a DoF with first, if any.

A lot of people seem to be focussing on the fact that a health boost from pillaging is going to be amazing. But i think it's going to be even more amazing trying to prevent it.

Rather than constant sieges we're actually going to have field battles now. If you want to stand a good chance of keeping a city you'll have to face their army and at least weaken them before they can break through to yours lands. I've found all too often an archer in a city is enough to last through most conflicts...

As for the diplo victory, i think a civ should vote for the civ they most like. Why would a civ vote for someone their at war with to lead the world peacefully? Why should they concern themselves with the metaphysical concept of "winning" when they simply wish for a world where their people run as freely and as powerfully as the computer used to generate them?

I liked most of it. I shouted "good!" at my computer more times than I should admit (so, at least once >.>).

Only letdown is that I didn't see a fix for the Ethiopian UU that I read about which makes them as weak as warriors when they're away from the capitol. That's the one civ I haven't tried playing as yet because I was waiting for them to fix it.

Actually, I also didn't like seeing that coups will be more than twice as likely if there's no defending spy. There's enough coup spam as it is, I'd rather they just make a coup more unlikely if there is a defending spy.

Otherwise, mostly good news. And some extremely good news.

Do Yoink achievement now before patch because I never see AI's build more than 10 units. Also Sacred Water not include cities next to lake? >_>

You can presumably give them a bunch of units and then Yoink! them back.

Patch seems good, but I have a few problems.

1) Why in the world did it take so long? It's taken VERY long to come out, and there's been basically zero communication from Firaxis.

2) Will coups be fixed? They're by far one of the most frustrating things in the game. The patch notes state that there were some changes, but will they still end up being too disruptive? It sounds like the AI will attempt low-success coups less often, but coups still shouldn't be as easy to pull off as they are, yet it sounds like that may not have changed.

3) No changes to espionage in general. It feels underdeveloped, and will continue to feel that way.

4) Will the AI be competent? On Emperor or worse, they're a pushover. On Immortal/Deity, they're still beatable, but they just feel cheap to play against.

I'm intrigued by the patch, but I wish it didn't take this long to even get an announcement about it. Who knows when it'll actually release.

Actually, I also didn't like seeing that coups will be more than twice as likely if there's no defending spy. There's enough coup spam as it is, I'd rather they just make a coup more unlikely if there is a defending spy.

Otherwise, mostly good news. And some extremely good news.

Well, the preceding sentence in that note said they were reducing the amount of coups AI's will take so coup spam shouldnt be as much of a problem. But they will more than likely be successful. Gonna have to start paying more attention to who the allies are in CSs. But it should also let your own coups be more successful too, if you know if another spy is there or not.

Patch seems good, but I have a few problems.

1) Why in the world did it take so long? It's taken VERY long to come out, and there's been basically zero communication from Firaxis.

Presumably the team they have on it is very small. The patch is also very large.

2) Will coups be fixed? They're by far one of the most frustrating things in the game. The patch notes state that there were some changes, but will they still end up being too disruptive? It sounds like the AI will attempt low-success coups less often, but coups still shouldn't be as easy to pull off as they are, yet it sounds like that may not have changed.

Don't overlook that you can now park a spy in a high priority CS (or your shakier relationship allied CSes) and greatly reduce their chances of success.

Will it be fixed? I don't know. But it looks like they targeted it to fix.

3) No changes to espionage in general. It feels underdeveloped, and will continue to feel that way.

It is and will remain a marginal feature. Unfortunate that it was so hyped.

4) Will the AI be competent? On Emperor or worse, they're a pushover. On Immortal/Deity, they're still beatable, but they just feel cheap to play against.
Define competent. There are still people who struggle with Prince.

They have AI improvements on the list, but I can't imagine it will be all that much different - at this point, the AI is what it is. If they ever release the C++, modders will likely improve it fairly dramatically, but barring that, don't expect a serious change. If that's a dealbreaker, well, that's a dealbreaker.

This patch looks awesome. It fixes my two biggest complaints:

1. Fixed an issue where citizen management focus on Production (and possibly others) could lead to starvation.

2. Advanced settings are now persisted across multiple single player games.

I also really like this:

Added "Restart Game" option to game menu. This option lets you restart the game and generate a new map using your current pregame settings. It's only available at Turn 0.

Top Bottom