Civilization 5 Rants Thread

I have to agree that turn times in the late game seem to have increased after the patch. I have a good computer, didn't have any problems with the game prior to the June patch using the same settings.

I play with (and played) with 12 AIs, huge map, usually Pangaea. After the March patch, the game ran without any slowdown all the way to the end. Now, it seems turns start taking longer and longer - usually sometime around turn 650 or so and get slower as the game moves forward.

Nowhere near as long as prior to March, but still very noticeable - and slow enough that I have to find something else to do for at least a minute between turns.

Any news on the SDK? It's been nearly 10 1/2 months now.

I thought Civilization 5 was going to be highly moddable? :confused:

Of course it's highly moddable - for the devs, like it should be. Every few months there's another pay2play civilization available. And mere mortals can say mod in-game clock, or other exciting features. :D

Oh, and let's not forget about the patches a'la MMO where devs really have no idea how their game should look like and every time there are buffs&nerfs, hoping that maybe this time the game will be fun:
"- ok, so no more Horsemen, is it fun?"
"- well, I was hoping more for strenghtening other units..."
"- ok, so no more libraries scientists, cool eh?"
"- nope, not really, that's not what I was thinking...."
"- aww don't worry, here's some sweeeeet El Dorado and Potossi Mines! How about Fountain of Youth? Ah yes, check this out - The Hanging Gardens!!!"
"- :rolleyes: so much for balanced play. Also, you've killed Stonehenge. Ah, who cares, I'll go and play Fallout2 I guess"

Of course it's highly moddable - for the devs, like it should be. Every few months there's another pay2play civilization available. And mere mortals can say mod in-game clock, or other exciting features. :D

Oh, and let's not forget about the patches a'la MMO where devs really have no idea how their game should look like and every time there are buffs&nerfs, hoping that maybe this time the game will be fun:
"- ok, so no more Horsemen, is it fun?"
"- well, I was hoping more for strenghtening other units..."
"- ok, so no more libraries scientists, cool eh?"
"- nope, not really, that's not what I was thinking...."
"- aww don't worry, here's some sweeeeet El Dorado and Potossi Mines! How about Fountain of Youth? Ah yes, check this out - The Hanging Gardens!!!"
"- :rolleyes: so much for balanced play. Also, you've killed Stonehenge. Ah, who cares, I'll go and play Fallout2 I guess"

That's a pretty good analogy actually. :shifty:

Civilization 5 is like an MMO in a way. Well, except for the non-functioning multiplayer that is. Lol

Maybe is it is a SMO. Steaming mass online?

can't stack units, no religion, not enough mordern units, game isn't long enough, so many things that could have made this 'game of the year' a million times better!

Civ3 complete is still the best in my opinion.

anyone recomment a good mod as im now bored with standard game.

anyone recomment a good mod as im now bored with standard game.

A good mod for Civ V?

If you're using Windows XP, Add/Remove Programs.
If you're using Windows Vista/7, Programs and Features.

In both find and click on Sid Meier's Civilization V and choose to Remove/Uninstall.

Your Windows operating system has now been modded and the steaming pile is gone. Windows will thank you.

How poorly does this game run?
Why does it take such a long time to process turns?
What is the game really doing?
What is the reason for this?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. :mad:
Not very poorly at all. Quite well in fact.
Well, "long time" is a relative term, but I don't consider 10 seconds long.
Running multiple, multiple level AIs. Moving Units. That kind of thing.
It's needs to do those things, or the game wont progress.

There is a "rants" thread btw ;) .

I don´t care about patches. This game is poorly made.
"Patches are making it faster/slower"! -What were they doing in the beginning?
This is a turn based strat. game, what is it for the computer to process?!??
Why is it more demanding than SC2 or Wow?

I don't know why, but the game prefers SSD. First time, I installed on 1TB HDD and I was wondering about the lags (Q9550 @4Ghz, 4GB RAM, ATI 6850), after installing on my Intel Postville, no more remarkable lags. Ok, starting and loading needs some seconds, but in game it works fluently.

A good mod for Civ V?

If you're using Windows XP, Add/Remove Programs.
If you're using Windows Vista/7, Programs and Features.

In both find and click on Sid Meier's Civilization V and choose to Remove/Uninstall.

Your Windows operating system has now been modded and the steaming pile is gone. Windows will thank you.

Lol. I believe that is called addition by subtraction. :lol:

I say we nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be safe. ;)

@Grievous: I'm sure you can find some mods in the creativity and customization forums for Civilization 5. I can't personally recommend anything.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395

I think this is because of a terrible programming of the game. My CPU is not great, and I´m running the game in the worst setup possible.

Of course you do. And of course you are. If you are missing the obvious logical misstep here, I'm not even sure if an assume computer would help you! Rofl.

Bottom line is this: there are MANY people who run this game without any trouble at all, regardless of the setting. I wonder why your experience is different? Must be bad coding, right? Ha ha.

Use less AIs dude...the more AIs = the more units there are = more processing = in between turn times are long. And no, I am not a rocket scientist.

Ofc this is Rant!
Pointing out he obvious!

We got screwed!

Stop being obtuse. CivIV had the same problem. Too many AIs and you have a lot of units moving around, making turn times slower. Everyone should be able to guess what the problem is.

SC2 doesn't require as much unit pathing and the like that CivV does. Again, anyone who types out full sentences would know this.

Buy a better computer.

Use less AIs.

Or stop complaining.

All your problems is being caused by you, not the game.

i play on large maps with 10 civs and i think turn times are good , no worse (maybe better) than previous civ games , they very quick at the start , impressively quick now. You gotta expect a little wait between turns as the game goes further on.

I've got a GTX260 and a dual core with 4 gig which isnt anything great and i find it runs fine. My one complaint with graphics is how it has too load them into memory before its smooth , so switching around the world takes its time to 'draw the graphics' that isnt good. I have high settings but AA off though , that made a big diffrence for me at 1980*1020 and doesnt look much diffrent.

How quick do you expect late game tunrs to take on large maps with lots going on? theres alot going on and you gotta be realistic , a game like this is never going to have quick turns at the end , i dont think waiting 10 seconds is a problem , takes me longer than that to think about what im going to do.

Top Bottom