Fall of Rome (Scenario)

Is this achievement broken? A couple of days ago I captured Damascas on turn 65 while playing as the Celts at the Prince level. Didn't get the achievement, and don't know why.:confused:

It shouldn't be broken; but you need to ensure the city was owned by the Sass and not
one that E Rome had captured.
(But the report is that if the Sass captures a city that starts in E Rome then capturing it as Celts does count.) There's no difficulty level requirement (people have gotten this achievement on Settler.)

It shouldn't be broken; but you need to ensure the city was owned by the Sass and not one that E Rome had captured. (But the report is that if the Sass captures a city that starts in E Rome then capturing it as Celts does count.) There's no difficulty level requirement (people have gotten this achievement on Settler.)

Damascas was bright red -- which, according to the running score, was the Sasunids(sp?). Getting there was most of the fun.:crazyeye: I made a beeline for southern Gaul, annexed two Roman cities there & started building triremes. While most of my forces spent most of the 70 turns fighting off the Franks, I assembled a little force which were excorted by about a dozen triremes, and started East. Had to capture Syracuse on the way just to have a place to heal. Finally saw the first RED city -- Damascus -- a couiple of tiles inland next to Byzantine Caesarea, and landed my troops at about turn 62. Damascas fell a couple of turns later, but the achievement didn't pop. Stuck it out to win the scenario (again), but still no "Missed History Class" achievement.

To much unimproved land and not a lot of workers like all civ 5 scenario's Bad implented.
a wast of time in my opinion.

To much unimproved land and not a lot of workers like all civ 5 scenario's Bad implented. a wast of time in my opinion.

Well, yeah, the scenario is a little tedious -- but unimproved land & lack of workers has never been a problem for me in more than a half-dozen playthroughs. I've played as most of the barbarians at one time or other, and eventually will play as the Eastern and/or Western Romans.

Did you know that you could build workers? Did you know that these workers can construct roads & mines & farms and such?

Also, once in awhile you can capture a worker even.

Well, yeah, the scenario is a little tedious -- but unimproved land & lack of workers has never been a problem for me in more than a half-dozen playthroughs. I've played as most of the barbarians at one time or other, and eventually will play as the Eastern and/or Western Romans.

Did you know that you could build workers? Did you know that these workers can construct roads & mines & farms and such?

Also, once in awhile you can capture a worker even.

I'm not retarted my friend :rolleyes: I know what workers do and you can built them

The problem is it is a way to large map and to much cities to manage proparly as the romans it isn't fun. I could see the scenario beeing fun as the barbarians though

Damascas was bright red -- which, according to the running score, was the Sasunids(sp?). Getting there was most of the fun.:crazyeye: I made a beeline for southern Gaul, annexed two Roman cities there & started building triremes. While most of my forces spent most of the 70 turns fighting off the Franks, I assembled a little force which were excorted by about a dozen triremes, and started East. Had to capture Syracuse on the way just to have a place to heal. Finally saw the first RED city -- Damascus -- a couiple of tiles inland next to Byzantine Caesarea, and landed my troops at about turn 62. Damascas fell a couple of turns later, but the achievement didn't pop. Stuck it out to win the scenario (again), but still no "Missed History Class" achievement.

I just got it 6-18-13 Tuesday, the wording of "capture any Sassanid city" was not quite correct, probably should be "any starting Sassanid city". I took the top two Frankish cities then went due east past some wheat fields then southwest to the water. Embarked the whole army and arrived north of Trebizond which was flying Sassanid colors. I took it, but no prize. I replayed to the landfall and went east overland to north of Artaxata and took it with the achievement flashing on. I rechecked and found Damascus and Palmyra are both in Theodora's starting empire. If you continue east 5-6 tiles from Damascus you can take Palmyra. From the northwest corner of Palmyra moving 5 tiles to the northeast puts you on the river 2 tiles south of Nisbis (a Sassanid city). Hope that helps.

I plan to use the huns to capture Rome and Constantinople next, then do Theo on deity after that. That will leave we are family as my last pre-BNW achievement.

That will leave we are family as my last pre-BNW achievement.

That one is broken on Single Player. You have to start a Multiplayer game for that one to work.

That one is broken on Single Player. You have to start a Multiplayer game for that one to work.

Thanks Joncnunn,
I have done the hotseat version a couple times with Celts and Gandhi. Controlled all the capitals as catholic but never got it to pop. I even did the trick where I converted his capital and let it revert then reconverted it. (standard map no barb or CS)

I heard of a guy playing "Into the Ren" as England who forced the Turks to offer him Jerusalem in a peace offer. He had the city but no prize. He then liberated it and then retook it and got the achievement. do you think that would work for the Celts if Theo had gobbled up the Sassanid cities. (capture liberate and recapture).

Gotta work hard now, I broke down and took steam's 10% off deal so I'll need to get those prizes in the next 2 weeks.:)

Spoiler :
[/IMG]
This is probably the best I've done. Emperor difficulty, going for double KO achievement. By the time turn 70 hit I had a few more cities.

I also got "Have a city ransomed by barbarians" achievement next turn by capturing that city and then those rebels capturing it back. :)

Attila brought in both Rome and Constantinople for both achievements so now its family and Pax left to do. Working on Pax, but my Vandals were way stronger than those in Robert Smith's case. seem to getting a handle on things, but 8 cities to recover.

With the points each turn for the cities you control as rome do conquered cities count?I've been taking over the franks as western rome and i'm not sure if i should raze the cities to control happiness or keep them for the score bonus.

Anyone has a detailed walkthrough/advice for the Deity achievement? Only YT LP of it of the huns. Its a pity that scenario's are barely covered, cause they are actually fun

Tough achievement for sure. Learned the hard way to check that the huns are the ones to borrow theodosipolis, since persia would run away in victory points when having it since its positioning combined with swarms of units constantly pressing from the east makes it suited to be one of the last cities to reclaim.

I have a question. I am new to Civilization, but am loving every minute of it. I recently played this scenario as Western Rome on King difficulty. I ended up loosing, but I don't understand why. It says that Empires gain victory points for control of imperial cities. Well, I had control of all of my cites (I lost some, but took them back eventually), and even took 3 more, 1 from the Goths, 1 from the Franks, and 1 from the Vandals. I would think this would help my score, as it increases the number of cities I control beyond what I am expected to maintain. The Goth's and the Huns went to town on Eastern Rome, but I was able to retake all the cities the East had lost to the Goths, but I couldn't do anything about the Huns because they were so far away. Plus, I was busy fighting my own battles as well as helping take back land the East had lost to the Goths.

The ranking was 1) Huns 2) East 3) Me.

The Huns crushed the East, so I can understand why they did well. But I can't fathom why I had a lower score than East Rome. In fact, my score was closer to that of the Sanssanids than to East Rome. :confused: The Sanssanida were almost completely destroyed this game!

I really enjoyed this scenario until the end when I found out that I didn't understand how the rules worked apparently. I am wondering if I lost because I kept my population low. I did this to try and deal with the insane amount of unhappiness that would result from a growing empire with this many cities. The rules did say that bigger cities count more, but I thought this only applied to the Barbarian Tribes when they took cities. If I do have to let my cities grow large, then I have no way to prevent unhappiness. I will eventually get hit with a -33% combat penalty from so much unhappiness.

How the in the world is my score calculated? Why was my score worse than East Rome and nearly as bad as the Sanssanids? Did taking those extra cities give me any points at all, was it a complete waist of time? I assumed that once I took them they would become "imperial cities" and increase my score. Was this wrong? What the hell am I supposed to do about the Huns? Am I to believe that not only do I have to defend my land from 4 different invaders, but I have to send units all the way over to the other side of the map to defend the borders of land I don't even control? WTF! :eek:

I am attaching a picture of the starting map, my end game map, and a screen shot so you can see the final score.

Can someone please help me understand how this scenario works. I would love to play it again, but I see no point if the description of the rules are so vague that I have to guess at what they are. :mad:

I kinda think that you've gotta have the high score to win, and it looks like Theodora has out-scored you.
Yes, I know that. My question is "how is score calculated for this particular scenario?" I know what it says in the mission briefing, but that explanation is not descriptive enough. I already tried to maximize the number of "imperial cities" that I controlled, and this was the result. There must be more to the scoring formula that I don't understand.

Normally, you can move your mouse over your score in the diplomacy menu and it gives you a breakdown of how your score is calculated, population, land, technology, etc. However, when I do that in this scenario every entry is zero except for technology, which accounts for my entire score. Science is disabled for this scenario, so I would assume that this scenario's score calculator is drastically altered and the results of this new formula are displayed under the technology heading. The problem is that this makes it impossible for me to get a better understanding of how my score is calculated, and thus how to improve it.

Yes, I know that. My question is "how is score calculated for this particular scenario?" I know what it says in the mission briefing, but that explanation is not descriptive enough. I already tried to maximize the number of "imperial cities" that I controlled, and this was the result. There must be more to the scoring formula that I don't understand.

Normally, you can move your mouse over your score in the diplomacy menu and it gives you a breakdown of how your score is calculated, population, land, technology, etc. However, when I do that in this scenario every entry is zero except for technology, which accounts for my entire score. Science is disabled for this scenario, so I would assume that this scenario's score calculator is drastically altered and the results of this new formula are displayed under the technology heading. The problem is that this makes it impossible for me to get a better understanding of how my score is calculated, and thus how to improve it.

This is not the word of God, but as near as I can tell. E or W Rome only get points for their own original cities that they control. If East Rome loses a city the barbarian that takes it gets a bonus of roughly 200 to 800 points depending on the city size. Say it is 3 pop and they get 600 points. You (East) rush in and rescue (retake) the city. You get no bonus points nor does the barbarian lose any points. However the turn after you lose the city your new victory point score increases by 3 points less than earlier turns. (example, before lost the city you earned 48 per turn you lose the city and only get 45 points that turn) If West Rome were to retake your city from the barbarians they get no bonus and you regain the city and the points it will produce. The next turn after the West wins should still show you getting 46 or 47 points.

The trick is, the winner is the "team" with the highest point total. Both Romes are a team and each barbarian is each a one man team, as are the Sassanids. The Sassanids score both from taking your cities and holding them, plus points from their own cities. But they get more points per pop than the Romans.

As long as you have more points than the other Rome, you get credit for all his points versus the other groups.
if the raw scores were:
Huns 2000 points
Vandals 1900 points
East Rome 1801 points
West Rome 1800 points

The Rome team would have 3601 points and East Rome would be the winner.

Do the others agree with this?

As long as you have more points than the other Rome, you get credit for all his points versus the other groups.
if the raw scores were:
Huns 2000 points
Vandals 1900 points
East Rome 1801 points
West Rome 1800 points

The Rome team would have 3601 points and East Rome would be the winner.

Do the others agree with this?

The splash screen does appear to operate that way in both this & the Korean scenario.
This is though out of sync with the achievements, which in this case if the other Rome is higher but you combine to be higher than all others you can still get the achievement.

Top Bottom