Poland Immortal Policies

KingKong76

Warlord
Is Poland can handle Tradition and Liberty opening even at Immortal level or it becomes a full trad oppening like all other civs?

You can do the Liberty to free settler then Full tradition with Poland. If you snag the Oracle, which you should build right after the NC you might even get a policy or 2 in commerce(or Patronage & Aesthetics) before Rationalism.
With any other civ other than Poland I try to time the completion of Oracle with me entering the Medieval era, on Emperor this isn't risky but on Immortal it is.

Getting Oracle + Medeival Era free policy to get Commerce opener and Mercenary Army is pretty nice. They upgrade directly to Winger Hussars, which really make them even more of a beast UU.

Is Poland can handle Tradition and Liberty opening even at Immortal level or it becomes a full trad oppening like all other civs?

For the standard openers like you mentioned, Poland isn't different in what's needed for them to do well, it will simply given that situation do it better than other civs would.
(In case of Tradition, getting ultra-early Free Aqueducts;
In case of Liberty, getting an ultra-early Free Great Person)

It's when you finish the first tree that Poland becomes somewhat different because you now have 2 or 3 additional policies you'll reach before being allowed into Rationalism compared to anyone else. So at that point, you'd make a choice between trying to finish a second full tree before Rean era or alternatively cherry picking several policies for multiple trees under standard rules.

I'd probably open Tradition for the culture + faster border expansion, then go Liberty to the free settler and faster settler production as suggested earlier, then complete Tradition, perhaps taking the 15% wonders production bonus policy first once I return to filling out Tradition to help get the Oracle + a few other wonders, if you enjoy building wonders as I do (which is the reason I don't play Deity). You'll hard-build your monuments (I chop these usually), and get free Amphitheaters in your first four cities, and of course free aqueducts later on as well. At that point I know it's tempting to complete Liberty but I wonder if it's efficient to do so unless you'll be going quite wide. I'd skip completing Liberty -- by that time you can usually open Renaissance era policies and those are quite valuable to certain victory conditions. Rationalism opener + Secularism are must-haves for me, even when going for a culture victory.

I'll add that doing the above does slow down the founding of your second city slightly IF you wait to build settlers till you get free + half price, but that's not usually a big problem overall, and if you build enough scouts (I'm a fan of building several scouts), you can secure your preferred expansion areas if you find an AI settler headed that way. Plus, the Liberty opener does slightly increase culture production, so I find it's not a long wait till that free settler arrives.

For the standard openers like you mentioned, Poland isn't different in what's needed for them to do well, it will simply given that situation do it better than other civs would.
(In case of Tradition, getting ultra-early Free Aqueducts;
In case of Liberty, getting an ultra-early Free Great Person)

It's when you finish the first tree that Poland becomes somewhat different because you now have 2 or 3 additional policies you'll reach before being allowed into Rationalism compared to anyone else. So at that point, you'd make a choice between trying to finish a second full tree before Rean era or alternatively cherry picking several policies for multiple trees under standard rules.

very helpfull
thanks

Liberty Rush, Depending on difficulty level get a great engineer to rush perhaps the sistine chapel OR if going for a domination or science victory, a great scientists university could also be a great choice. Fill out tradition as much as you can, hopefully finishing it. If you get the oracle you might even get mercenary army in commerce. That's a great one.
Than all out go for rationalism as to finish that before Ideologies. Congrats, you now have the tools to create what I call The Core :D. Adopt Order and than begin your conquest.

Alternatively you could fill out Tradition and Patronage and Rationalism so you can go diplomatic. I usually find Autocracy the best for a Diplomatic victory, but freedom also works very well, especially if you have a low warmonger status.

Culturally, your probably better off with another civ but poland can do a mighty fine Piety, Aesthetics, and Patronage (Or Commerce) and than adopt freedom. I know many experts will say that Tradition and Rationalism are a must have, but honestly, it is the same old thing again and again.

If you somehow fail to get enough culture to finish your ideology because you rushed three social policies (Absolutely worth it) than you need to adjust your gameplay around Culture production, because that is what makes Poland the tank it is.

I've just rolled an interesting map as Spain in which I didn't build any settlers but settled 5 cities. I tried the Liberty/Full Tradition mix, and thanks to having pagodas and mosques in every city very quickly I was able to unlock Commerce after Tradition but before Rationalism. Add in that I managed to get 'Natural Heritage Sites' passed on the first vote...

Also, another cool poland combination I've tried for warmongering.

Honor-Commerce-Rationalism-Autocracy

I find this pretty great for supporting large and advanced armies with slight benefits. Honor lets you piss off those AI that try to take all the land with the free general, commerce lets you support larger military, and Rationalism gets you the science you need for new cutting edge tech.

Autocracy is the final touch up which gives your army that nice new finish as to burn other civilizations to the ground. Alternatively you can use order, which is if you plan on keeping a ton of cities...

BTW this is my last post because I feel like this should be its own topic and not discussed here.

I rarely had succes with no Tradition or Liberty games, but I can see the idea behind this opening... might try it.

I was browsing this thread and thought this looked pretty interested compared to the standard Tradition > Whatever > Rationalism route. Just wanted to say that you should really try this out, I just had one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

Opened Tradition (thanks to a ruin), then went Liberty to the free settler, closed Tradition, closed Liberty, Honour, Autocracy. It was a super fun start spamming out settlers in between NW's. Wound up with 9 settled cities (standard size continents) and two enemy capitals by the time renaissance rolled around. Then with Autocracy and all those cities just pumping out experienced units the steamroller got going to blanket the earth in Polish red. I haven't had that much fun in a game in quite awhile. I was surprised how little happiness problems there were with that many cities (nearly 20 founded cities in modern), I'd just raze and rebuild anything without a wonder, build military and production buildings and every city was a net positive for happiness after a short time. Felt really sweet having a big sprawling empire instead of the four core cities then adding some puppets throughout the game.

Top Bottom