[MOD] Colonization: 2071

requires a low amount of effort or thought.
Oh that's clever.

Also I feel as if I didn't help you guys to fix my problem enough, so now I'm going to give you all the snippets that I took when the error occured just now when I did redownload it.

This is the order that the errors appear in, and here is where the progress bar stops during initialization.

And I didn't mess with any of the files, I just extracted the "Colonization 2071" folder to the mods folder. Is there some step I'm not doing?

It was night time for me.

Now it is strange that no one else has experienced this issue...

I am gonna try and downlload the latest version from the link here and see if it happens to me.

EDIT:

Have you downloaded the latest patch, 1.41b from the very top of the first page?
OR
Did you only download the patch and not the whole mod?

Yeah you just need to put the 1.41b patch inside the 2071 folder.

See the very top of the first post.

I just downloaded the whole mod, and just now I extracted the patch and, it, did it, again.

I don't know why it's doing it either, would it be because my Colonization was from a jewel case?
That shouldn't matter because the game works fine when I don't try to load this mod.
Is it Windows 7?

Well I just did it once more and all those other errors aren't happening, just MEMORY_MISSIONARY_FAIL.

This isn't the old snippet, this is post applying patch, the loading bar starts with the Colonization background the the mouse symbol with the globe turning, but then this effer' shows up.
:sad:

'Punt' is an american football term, for a long kick at goal, usually attempted as a last ditch attempt to get a field goal on a 4th down.

It is a phrase used to describe a long shot or an action that is low in probability of success, but requires a low amount of effort or thought.

Just noticed this, good try :mischief:.

Punt is actually a team's attempt to kick the ball towards an opposing team's goal line in order to give said team poor field advantage, thereby making the team's advancement of the ball difficult.

Example: The Eagles are 4th and 10 on their own 40yrd line ( I. E. their end of the field) and elect to punt. Their punter hangs a nice 58yrd punt into Cowboy territory with no return, thereby giving the Cowboys 1st and 10 on their own 2yrd line. Poor field position indeed.

What your thinking of from your example actually is called a field goal. It also usually happens on 4th down, but usually inside the 50yd line (the closer the better) in order for the FG team to gain 3pts.

I don't know why it's doing it either, would it be because my Colonization was from a jewel case?
Is Colonization patched to the latest version?
I suspect this to be the problem as well.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11915

It makes me wonder if the mod can display a warning if the exe is outdated :think:
The vanilla approach appears to be looking at MIN_VERSION in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml, but it looks like this error shows up before this file is loaded.

That shouldn't matter because the game works fine when I don't try to load this mod.
Is it Windows 7?
It works fine in windows 7 and I have been told it works in 8 too.

I'm embarressed.
I patched the game and it work's fine.
I'm so dang sorry for bringing forth such a mind boggling problem with just, such a simple answer.
I did punt it.

Also in task manager the process is stuck at below normal, I can raise it to normal when I alt tab but the moment I go back to playing it goes back to below normal. Any kind of launch option I can use to fix this?
edit :
Help fixing this new problem would be nice, the game takes almost a minute to load a turn now.

Also in task manager the process is stuck at below normal, I can raise it to normal when I alt tab but the moment I go back to playing it goes back to below normal. Any kind of launch option I can use to fix this?
edit :
Help fixing this new problem would be nice, the game takes almost a minute to load a turn now.
First hit when search on google. Looks like it is worth trying. I wonder what would happen if I set the game to realtime. If I read it correctly, the game will actually gain a physical CPU core it will not have to share with any other processes. That could be interesting, but as it says: don't do that unless you have multiple cores.
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/143958-Civ-4-Priority-fix

Thanks a lot clanky4 that is an awesome LH :cool::goodjob: - I wish more people would put out more cool/innovative scifi LHs like that, rather than tons of historic kings etc of which there are already so many. I actually do have a fairly decent set of potential scifi leaderhead nifs I've been collecting (in addition to the ones in the current 2071 mod); I've uploaded what I have so far for potential leaderhead bases so you can take a look.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwrARpL9eZDGV3UxUDdUem5BSUE/edit?usp=sharing

I've worked on a few simpler reskins myself (eg the ones in my sig) but some more ambitious ones to try would be getting some more good scifi themed and non-human leaders out there (ie reskin of _Alien/birdman in this set to look more natural/convincing; and maybe somehow reskin _Alien/bearman or another base to look like a good Wookiee or Sasquatch leader) With this set plus the ones in the current 2071 download, I think there are actually enough LH models collected to use as a decent base for scifi modding in general, so making new leaderheads isn't a high priority, but a few more or improved skinning for existing ones would be icing on the cake.

Wow it's good to see people are still downloading & playing this mod, and are interested in developing it and potential other scifi offshoots like Star Wars etc. Just so people know I've not yet been abducted by aliens :assimilate: I've been traveling to a series of conferences for my job & away from my modding pc. I was actually in Denmark a short while, I should have dug up some bones of Kailric's Viking ancestors or made a side trip down to Stuttgart to see Ray. :viking: I'm in the process of potentially getting a new job (wish me luck!:p) and if I manage to get it would be moving to a new city; but after this would hopefully be able to resume doing more later this year.

About improving the slow turn times and various annoying bugs with the old mod DLL (Research Lab startup bug etc), fortunately these issues now seem to be wonderfully resolved by Nightingales/Kailric's improved DLL which is a main reason for developing the new 2071 version currently on sourceforge. Although my personal progress atm may be galactically slow, if anyone is willing to help out in getting the new version going it would help tremendously to keep things moving forward at warp speed :king::scan:

If PatriotNorwood, clanky4 or anyone else wants to help out on the mod (with a view toward creating a solid base for any future scifi modmods) I am posting a list of the basic next steps for getting some of our set of scifi graphics into the mod and tested (will also copy this to the top post on this thread).

Stability Testing / Debugging / DLL Compatibility

Actually the most basic and important step would be to download the 2071 mod branch and the new current DLL from sourceforge and test their current stability together. With there being so many ongoing changes to the M:C DLL and gamefonts, having been away I'm not sure of whether the 2071 on github is currently still working seamlessly with these or may need some debugging to stay compatible.

To do this, first install Smartgit and download and install the current 2071 version from sourceforge using Nightingales tutorial (also other tutorial links at the top of this thread).
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=349050&page=29
Then you can get the mod running on your pc (make sure to also download the DLL file from this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=529266) Once it's running and stable you'll also be able to start trying out making changes to the graphics and XML.

Scifi Gamefonts

Another great thing for any graphically-inclined modders to help on would be work on the Gamefonts graphics file to enable some good scifi icons to show up in game (maybe this should start once the new gamefont format by Nightingale is finalized which it sounds like it will be soon). Once the new gamefont format of M:C is final, it'll be good to update this with scifi icons that could be used for this and other scifi-themed mods, which can be made much easier using the Civ4 Gamefont Editor as pointed out by NG & Kailric. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429541

An easy approach would be to take some of the existing buttons and resize these to the appropriate gamefont format (using GIMP/Photoshop or other software) and perhaps do some minor artistic touch-up to get them to show up nicely in-game. I have made buttons for all of the Yields (in Assets/Art/Buttons/Yields on sourceforge) and also a huge selection of scifi-themed buttons (see 2071 Buttons Pack in my sig) from which you could select whichever ones you like to convert to icons. I've so far lacked the graphical flair to be able to convert these well to gamefonts but think anyone with some graphical interests could be able to do this nicely. :goodjob:

(One general comment about Gamefonts icons: one potential problem with mods like RaR/M:C/new 2071 with lots of new Yields is that the many new tiny gamefonts icons can be hard for new players to always easily visually identify what they mean. (ie you see a wide variety of new little icons in many places and as a new player may have no idea initially whether they mean Leather Armor, Furniture, Dye, or what have you). I'm not sure how to best deal with this, but maybe planning a general system with some degree of color-coding could make things easier and more intuitive for players. Ie perhaps the advanced "processed" Yields produced in towns could have some distinguishing feature such as a gold border, while raw Yields harvested on the map could have no border.

In 2071, taking a look at the design document showing the Yields; there are several categories that go naturally together. For example: Actinides, Isotopes, and Rare Earths are geologic yields produced by the Expert Geologist; while Nucleic Acids, Amino Acids, and Tissue Samples are biologic yields produced by the Expert Lab Technician. If these categories could have some distinguishing feature (such as a blue interior border, or overall blue tint, etc) they could become easier & more intuitive for new players to identify. Anyway, just an attempt to get a discussion going but I'm thinking some system of color-coding could be useful here. Also I think it could help all mods in general if more of the tooltips showed the name of the Yield as well as its icon).

Scifi NIF Graphics Importing and Testing

Lastly I have also uploaded recently for PatriotNorwood a megapack of scifi nif graphics for Units, Buildings, Improvements, etc I've collected over the years.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwrARpL9eZDGQVc0UmpDNHRiYzQ&usp=sharing

This contains lots of NIF graphics which hopefully should be fairly easy for even novice XML modders to start getting into the game and testing out. You can browse through some of these using Nifskope; let me know how you like them, there's so many they won't all get used in the mod but there is some great stuff in there including lots that can be reused for a Star Wars modcomp once they're in the game.

As far as buttons, I recently cranked out a huge set of scifi buttons & uploaded them to the link in my sig. Since there are over 2000 buttons with a lot of diversity I'm hoping this will provide quite a big resource for SF modders to work with.

Since lots of graphical content has already been gathered, a lot of the critical work needed to start getting these into the game is going to be stuff that an XML modder could handle (especially if you have even beginning graphical experience), like:
1) Browsing through the collected graphics to identify what you think is the most appropriate graphic to fit each unit/building etc.
2) Adjusting folder names for those graphics to match what the Artdef XML looks for.
3) Test them out in game to verify that new graphics are loading appropriately without crashes/glitches.
4) If you notice problems, you can use some minor graphical and XML troubleshooting to work out any kinks in how the graphics are loading/appearing in-game. For example, if graphics appear at the wrong scale they can be resized by adjusting the scale in the XML Artdefs file.

Usually when importing nif graphics (either leaderheads or units/buildings/etc) into Civ4Col it's usually gone relatively smoothly. Some things to keep aware of are:
* With Deliverator's tutorial you can often use nifskope to easily resolve many glitches in imported units.
* I've been told that in many cases if there are issues loading graphics in game, sometimes simply importing into Blender and re-exporting can easily resolve this, though I've as yet had a hard time getting it to do this correctly on my pc. If you're able to install Blender this may help greatly in getting scifi graphics working in-game.
* Lastly, when importing graphics from other mods or Civ4Bts, remember they're often looking to load DDS textures from that mod's /Art/Shared directory; so the number one easy solution for many problems can be to make sure shared art isn't missing. For 2071 and other scifi mods, perhaps the best thing is to make an /Art/Shared directory that contains everything from the /Art/Shared folders of scifi mods like Final Frontier and Dune Wars, this will minimize these kinds of problems.

If anyone is able to help out with graphical and XML stuff like that it would be awesome, and hopefully should make fairly quick progress in getting good scifi graphics into the game, which can then be easily used in any scifi themed mod.

Happy modding to everyone.. may the force be with you, live long and prosper and the truth is out there! :borg::scan::goodjob:

I'm terrible at reskinning.

Spoiler :

just awful

But I would be willing to give it a try. No promises though. I can maybe convert a Wookiee from the same source I got general grievous from. His fingers probably won't move but neither do any of the leaderheads I convert :lol:

Scifi NIF Graphics Importing and Testing

Lastly I have also uploaded recently for PatriotNorwood a megapack of scifi nif graphics for Units, Buildings, Improvements, etc I've collected over the years.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwrARpL9eZDGQVc0UmpDNHRiYzQ&usp=sharing

This contains lots of NIF graphics which hopefully should be fairly easy for even novice XML modders to start getting into the game and testing out. You can browse through some of these using Nifskope; let me know how you like them, there's so many they won't all get used in the mod but there is some great stuff in there including lots that can be reused for a Star Wars modcomp once they're in the game.

As far as buttons, I recently cranked out a huge set of scifi buttons & uploaded them to the link in my sig. Since there are over 2000 buttons with a lot of diversity I'm hoping this will provide quite a big resource for SF modders to work with.

Since lots of graphical content has already been gathered, a lot of the critical work needed to start getting these into the game is going to be stuff that an XML modder could handle (especially if you have even beginning graphical experience), like:
1) Browsing through the collected graphics to identify what you think is the most appropriate graphic to fit each unit/building etc.
2) Adjusting folder names for those graphics to match what the Artdef XML looks for.
3) Test them out in game to verify that new graphics are loading appropriately without crashes/glitches.
4) If you notice problems, you can use some minor graphical and XML troubleshooting to work out any kinks in how the graphics are loading/appearing in-game. For example, if graphics appear at the wrong scale they can be resized by adjusting the scale in the XML Artdefs file.

Usually when importing nif graphics (either leaderheads or units/buildings/etc) into Civ4Col it's usually gone relatively smoothly. Some things to keep aware of are:
* With Deliverator's tutorial you can often use nifskope to easily resolve many glitches in imported units.
* I've been told that in many cases if there are issues loading graphics in game, sometimes simply importing into Blender and re-exporting can easily resolve this, though I've as yet had a hard time getting it to do this correctly on my pc. If you're able to install Blender this may help greatly in getting scifi graphics working in-game.
* Lastly, when importing graphics from other mods or Civ4Bts, remember they're often looking to load DDS textures from that mod's /Art/Shared directory; so the number one easy solution for many problems can be to make sure shared art isn't missing. For 2071 and other scifi mods, perhaps the best thing is to make an /Art/Shared directory that contains everything from the /Art/Shared folders of scifi mods like Final Frontier and Dune Wars, this will minimize these kinds of problems.

If anyone is able to help out with graphical and XML stuff like that it would be awesome, and hopefully should make fairly quick progress in getting good scifi graphics into the game, which can then be easily used in any scifi themed mod.

So basically take a look around the mod and replace any weird/out of place unit/building/improvement graphics with more appropriate ones? Any specific units/buildings/improvements in mind? I haven't actually played the mod in nearly a year.

Happy modding to everyone.. may the force be with you, live long and prosper and the truth is out there! :borg::scan::goodjob:

:)

Edit:
I just downloaded the mod and it doesn't have any of the unit graphic swaps:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12703493&postcount=211

Stability Testing / Debugging / DLL Compatibility
For now I recommend using the master branches of source and python. The reason is that master is always set to the newest release of M:C. This mean it is supposed to be fairly stable, which is just what we want for a mod without programmers.

Scifi Gamefonts
Yeah I'm currently working on GameFont (well I haven't really been doing that the last few days :p).
None of this work is in any master branch yet meaning it shouldn't affect col2071. Having said that, it is a good idea to plan ahead because eventually col2071 will have to use the new system.

I think the easiest approach is to just wait for my work to finish and then copy GameFont.tga and GameFont_75.tga from M:C. This way there is no move between systems. Instead there is a working solution, which is plugged in right away. I have been thinking of expansion when I made it and more than half of the slots are free (often blank). I think col2071 can fit in it without adding more.

Modifying the content of each slot should be done in GameFontEditor
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429541
It makes the task a whole lot easier. You just click on the slot in question and click import and select the file you want to have in that slot. It will be resized if needed. The best part about this is that it removes the risk of corrupting GameFont.tga.

There is a little bonus in copying GameFont. Right now it has all the Cyrillic characters. We can just keep them and it will work out of the box if somebody starts to translate to Russian. We have 286 slots, which are reachable by city billboards (icons not on city billboards appears to allow at least 24k, not really a problem). We just need symbols, yields and mission icons meaning we will not run out of room unless the number of yields and civs combined are more than 200 even with 64 Cyrillic characters.

Ok, it's best to wait for the final version of gamefonts. I don't mind much either way about additional characters, but would just want to make sure its definitely a final version before trying to get gamefont icons working (which at least to a non-artist like me seems daunting, although hopefully made a lot easier by Gamefont Editor). Do you think it's feasible to also show the Yield names next to the gamefont icons in most of the python tooltips and pedia screens (at least in places where this would fit)? Otherwise I'm thinking that new players will have a hard time recognizing all the new icons.:gp::science:

clanky4 wrote:
I'm terrible at reskinning.

But I would be willing to give it a try. No promises though. I can maybe convert a Wookiee from the same source I got general grievous from. His fingers probably won't move but neither do any of the leaderheads I convert

So basically take a look around the mod and replace any weird/out of place unit/building/improvement graphics with more appropriate ones? Any specific units/buildings/improvements in mind? I haven't actually played the mod in nearly a year.

Edit:
I just downloaded the mod and it doesn't have any of the unit graphic swaps:
clanky4, the mod is being totally redeveloped separately from the old (still downloadable) version to enable all-new graphics, new unit/building/tech content, and an improved DLL codebase that avoids previous bugs and slow turntimes. It is in a pre-alpha stage available here; Nightingale made a tutorial on how to download this new version from sourceforge if you are interested. The new version currently uses generic placeholder graphics; I've collected a wide assortment of scifi NIF graphics and buttons at the links in my last post, in addition to your updated graphics above; so the next stage would be to start selecting graphics to use for the units/buildings etc and getting these into the game.

Top Bottom