Military Strategy(960AD)- How Far Into India?

Donovan Zoi

The Return
How far do we want to expand into India?

-Do we want to claim the southern mountains and then see what Ghandi has to offer for peace?

- Do we want to reclaim the North, get some free dyes, and ride out the duration of our alliances(14 turns still) setting up a defensive stance?

-Wtih the possibility of Smith's Trading Co. on the way, should we start slowly phasing out military production for marketplaces, banks and aqueducts?

-Or shall we not rest until Dehli falls?

Here are tentative battle plans from the Military Deputy. For defensive purposes, I believe this is the very least we should do. I am undecided as to how far we should proceed from here:

RIGA/SATSUMA
Preturn
1. Send knight in Valhalla to pick off sword south of Androbius

2. Send Androbius knights to Riga

3. Send Nocsfiedera knight to Riga

4. Send HENGEST to proposed city to build wonder(hopefully)

5. If needed send Civanatoria knights to Riga for attack on turn 1

Turn 1
1. Attack Riga with knights

2. Send remaining knights toward Satsuma. Repeat ;)

GANGES
1. Hopefully the four knights will be enough

LAHORE
(We need to take this city so that India has no chance for saltpeter)

1. Send 2 Pensacola knights to Lahore

2. Send knights from Grandmastoria, Zorgonzolia and Serenity(4 total) to Lahore

CHITTAGONG
(There are 5 knights in area - 3 in Fukushima, 2 just north of it. Also Army is just north of Fukushima on mountain. They are about 3-4 turns from striking range. Fukushima is solely defended by the 3 knights.)

1. When finished next turn, send workers from Hakodate to build road on Plex Mountain(mount 2 tiles south of Plexenburg); fortify Army on Plex Mt. to protect workers.

2. Rush spearman(56g) in Fukushima; put 1 knight each on squares S, SE and SW of the city. So we don't lose knights to a culture flip(maybe we don't have to do this. I am not sure what the risk is.)
3. Send any knights built in Hafen land to Plex Mountain.

4.When road is built, proceed to Chittagong!

These are all we can consider taking with our current troops. Please post any ideas or concerns along with what you think our objectives for this war should be.

> “How far do we want to expand into India?”

I would press the case for pushing as far as can be managed during the course of the alliance. We’ve unleashed powerful armies into the battle other than our own. If we don’t keep moving, they will claim the spoils. At the least, we should clear the first layer of cities west of the mountains. Calcutta controls the spices in this part of the continent and Pune, Chittagong, and Lahore are needed to secure its flanks. Having both Jaipore and Calcutta gives us a defendable border facing Bombay, which would be the launching point for any serious attack on us from China.

> “Tentative battle plans from the Military Deputy.”

> RIGA/SATSUMA and LAHORE

Solid. Any infantry on hand to cover against counterattacks?

>CHITTAGONG
>“1. When finished next turn, send workers from Hakodate to build road on Plex Mountain(mount 2 tiles south of Plexenburg); fortify Army on Plex Mt. to protect workers.”

As an alternative, how about putting the road through the hilly gap just to the SE? Should take half the time.

>“4.When road is built, proceed to Chittagong!”

You might feel the need to wait for reinforcements, but that road-building could last the rest of the war.

Feodor

I believe that our armies will be strong enough to take almost every cities Ghandi controls up to Delhi itself.

Take all that we can without disturbing future development of our nation. Don't let all our towns build knights, let some build something else than military. If our war disturbs the above, then get all we can from Ghandi.

These would be my options:

Indian cities to take:

Lahore (Saltpeter)
Chittagong (Incense)
Calcutta (horses & Incense)
Pune (border)
Jaipur (just to fill it out)

If the Chinese and Iroquois don't get them first, then:

Dehli and Punjab

We should definately take Riga and Satsuma in the north. We should not pass up our chance to secure Ganges and the dyes. I think we should also secure the fertile plains of Calcutta and nearby cities if we can. Depending on how quickly we can advance we may want to accept peace when our alliances are finished, especially if it means we can get some free techs from Gandhi.
I do think that we should be able to start building some infrastructure now. Perhaps half our cities can be devoted to military production and the other half to aqueducts and markets and such...

I think Chieftess' list of cities are nearly sufficient. I would like to add Indus to the list if we can get it. Once the jungle is gone it will be a - what was the name again? - a powerhouse.

Anyway, as the Indians sure will be destroyed by the forces we have set in motion, I suggest we grab as much of India as we can.

I think Chieftess pretty much covers it. I agree with Cheetah that Indus could be very beneficial if we can clear the Jungle again. I would also like to sign some alliances to hit India from the south.

Cheiftess and Donsig have provided good detail for the next set of rounds. I would added that it seems imperative that we move infantry and workers forward ASAP to secure the new frontier, and production should be working on this.

If we don't raze any cities, we might not need settlers, but should have at least one on hand in case it's needed to secure territory.

Does this war-ravaged area need a military governer? I'm between jobs.

Feodor Ardent

Personally, I believe we should take as much of India as we can, especially Dehli. There is some great land down there with a lot of resources. I would gradually work my way south taking Ganges first, of course. Then Pune, Lahore, Jaipur, Chittagong, Calcutta, Bombay, Dehli, Bangalore, Madras, Bengal, and Punjab. The proximity of allied troops might alter that plan (we wouldn't want them taking our territory). But I say let's take it all.

Personally, I believe we should take as much of India as we can, especially Dehli. There is some great land down there with a lot of resources. I would gradually work my way south taking Ganges first, of course. Then Pune, Lahore, Jaipur, Chittagong, Calcutta, Bombay, Dehli, Bangalore, Madras, Bengal, and Punjab. The proximity of allied troops might alter that plan (we wouldn't want them taking our territory). But I say let's take it all.

We seem to have a clear majority wanting to push on.

I would advocate moving forward with more speed, of not waiting for stray units to get done with their business in distant corners of the map. The way into the Indian heartland is down the road from Traders Inn to Lahore to Calcutta. We should be moving knights and infantry from our considerable reserves in that direction this turn and every turn, attacking when a sufficient force is built up. The forces from Riga and Ganges can catch up to the battle when they are available.

Feodor

Well there is only two options:
- take as much as we can of India
- let our allies take as much as they can of India

It's clear that we must take what we can to make sure that we continue to be the best.

Top Bottom