Mod Component Requests Thread

The Zone of control rule from CIv II should be re-implemented.

Firstly, for those not aware, the Zone of Control rule was where if a unit entered a square adjacent to one of your units, it would only be able to attack you, move to a non adjacent square, move into a city or move into a tile containing a friendly unit. It could not move into another square that was adjacent to you.

This rule had it's drawbacks, like the fact a warrior could impose ZoC on a tank, so here I present a design for an updated version of this in the hope that someone with more coding skills than I will take it up. I know there is a ZoC mod component, but it only applies to forts and is in general quite far from what I envision.

Currently, enemies can maraud through your territory pillaging and looting, and retreating into forest/hillsides whenever you try to take them out. The main problem is that there is no way to prevent them entering your territory in the first place, and no way to halt their movement as barbarians and other civ units will move through your forests, and ignore your units to singlemindely reach and pillage improvements.

Instead, I propose the following. If unit A moves through Unit B's ZoC, the owner of unit B should be presented with a choice whether to intercept, or allow unit B to pass. If intercept is chosen, then the units would enter combat with unit A being treated as the defender, but denied any defensive bonuses to reflect that it would be ambushed on the march, and would not have sufficient time to prepare a defense.

In addition, if Unit B is capable of ranged attacks (archer, siege, gunpowder) an additional option entitled Harass would be available as an alternative to intercept. Harass would allow unit B to launch a free strike on Unit A. After the damage from that initial strike is resolved, the owner of Unit A would be given the option to engage Unit B, thus commencing combat between the units, or to march on, completing it's move having suffered soime damage.

For the purposes of calculating the damage of this Harassment strike, Unit A would be denied defensive bonuses, and if unit B is a siege unit, it would be granted a 100% bonus to reflect the stupidity of attempting to ignore a siege unit, rather than assaulting it. Also, if unit B is inside a fort or city, it would gain a 100% bonus for harassment strikes to represent the high vantage point, and the not having to stay out of the enemy's reach due to being behind high walls.

WarKirby

Tribal villages: what if they could yield a galley or a workboat if they were coastal? Rather than warriors and workers.

I hate geting a worker when the scout is far from home, and the poor sod just gets eaten by a tiger on the way home!

Alpha centuari had something like that.

This one is rather a UI/design improvement tahn a content one. Thos of you who played Rome Total War will understand what I am talking about. It wuld be nice if all trade routes were animated, with apropriate graphics depending on the era. You should be able to see the actual small caravans moving along roads from city to city, and fleets moving across oceans.

:) hello, I post this message because I have an idea. Somebody could it make so that one can sell units (military or civil) with other civilizations.
Thank you:king:

Aussie_Lurker said:
I have to disagree with you on Terrorists. Think how many people a single population point represents 10,000 or more. Now the worst terrorist attacks in history kill only a few hundred to a few thousand. Wars kill many, MANY more people. However, what does terrorism succeed in doing? Terrorising people. So terrorism could perhaps hurt productivity of a city directly (by destroying hammers, gold or food) or indirectly by causing temporary unhappiness/unhealthiness. It could also damage military units-but thats about it IMHO.

Aussie_Lurker.

Unless they have a suitcase nuke. ;)

I like the sickness/unhealth idea. That would be the perfect representation of a biological/chemical attack.

Terriorist units should also be able to destroy buildings within a city, too. Would make them more useful.

I have a request:

Would anyone be able to implement Laurier's idea as discussed in this thread? Basically, the idea is to have religion spread in a similar way to ethnicity, as driven by Missionaries, Holy Cities, religious buildings, and so on...

I thought it'd be a good mod, but sadly no-one knew how to implement it.

What about a unit for those poor island based civs? The canoe! Move 1, no attack allowed, zero defense, transport 1, very cheap to make but expensive to maintain, so you have an incentive to build and use it up to move a worker or settler, the get rid of the pesky thing? I used to loathe having my state religion forming in the only civ i had on an island just off the coast, and having to slooooowly get a boat near enough to transport the missionary and cross my fingers that the religion would catch on... and playing the earth map as england is painful...

Has anyone produced a mod component that allows captured Wonders to generate culture?

Currently if you capture a city with a wonder you gain the benefits of that wonder except for the culture it produces.

What I would like to see is a mod that does something like this.

1. On capture you initially get no culture from the Wonder.

2. Either after a specific number of turns, say 40 turns you begin to receive culture from the wonder.

Or when you have generated a certain amount of culture of your own in that city, say 100 points you begin to receive culture from the wonder. (My preference).

3. The amount of culture you receive is half the amount of the original the wonder gave.

Religions and Missionaries

Hello,

I actually have a small little request. Can someone help with a little piece of code to unable the dice check for Missionaries.

I always spam my own lands with lots of different religions and it is very annoying that more often then necessary the missionaries simply fail to succeed. I simply want that all missionaries are always successful.

Another idea :

Simply get rid of all these missionaries. How ?

Whenever my city has a trade connection with another city that hosts a religion not present in my city, then I can build a mission, which provides me the religion.

An example.
Hattusa has a trade route with Memphis. Memphis has Judaism, but Hattusa has not. Now I can build a Jewish Mission in Hattusa, that will just provide Judaism to Hattusa when it is finished. If I want to get rid of Judaism again, i simply destroy the mission, easy.
Other example, Hattusa is connected with Niniveh, my own city, per network. Niniveh has Hinduism but Hattusa has not, so again Hattusa can build a Hindu mission.

Also I would like if the automatic spawning of religions is not stopping after a city already has a religion and the spawning rate should be increased (doubled at least).
An example :

Hattusa has now Judaism and Hinduism, but suddenly spawns Christianity , that is coming from my German trading partners.

Workers and Improvement

I do not like workers, they are annoying. Too much unneccessary micromanagement that just increases the time, my turn takes - who needs this ?

So what will we do ?

Automatic building of improvement

Just for clarification : There will be no unit worker anymore, neither will the AI use workers. Everything is happening just in the interface.
Whenever a city is working a tile, the AI will start to build an improvement. The improvement is taking its normal turns, the animation used is that of a worker working on the tile like now.
Of course the improvements can be razed and can not be rebuild until the hostile unit is leaving the tile. This will happen automatically.
Whenever i want to change an improvement I simply right click on the field and I get a menu stating which improvements can be build instead of the existing one. The new improvement will take its normal turns and destroy the old one in the meanwhile.
When the Ai is starting to build an improvement(when the city is starting working on it) it will chose by itself, but i can change its choice.
If an city stops working on a tile, the finished improvement will stay, an unfinished one stops to be processed.
The same is true for sea tiles, we have to define working rounds for fishing nets and other stuff of course.

Last but not least roads and railroads. Whenever a new city is founded it will get automatically get connected to the nearest city by a road or later railroad. This will happen tile by tile. The new city and the old city both will start to build roads in their adjacent tiles until the roads reach each other. To build a road it will take its normal two turns.
If two or more old cities are the same distance to the new city they will all start roads.
I can order a city to build a road to another city.

Whenever railroad is invented the same things is happening. My cities will start to connect to each other by railroad as long as i have coal.

Resources and military roads are tricky. There are two options:

1) Resources do not need to connected by roads anymore. Whichever resource I have in my cultural borders and which has its respective improvement will be available.
Railroads do not give boni anymore to mines and lumbermill.
Road and railroad networks simply enhance transportation and connect cities. All Units get double movement, so basic units 2 points, mounted units 4 points etc. sea units are in anyway too slow. In this way military units can also campaign in areas away from the roads. Other options, all units get double speed only within our cultural borders.

2) The AI will automatically connect resources with nearest town, using the same engine as by connecting the cities. The AI will also build roads in all the worked tiles around a city, in the whole inner ring around a city (to enable rush out of my troops in case of attack) and last but not least on the whole coastline in my cultural borders in order to increase my possible reaction time during an invasion.

To chop down a forest we simply need to right click it and give the chop order as long as the city works the tile (there have to be humans to do the job, right)
It should be possible to regrown a forest on a tundra, plains or grassland tile. Rightclicking and it will be done, but it will take lots of turns !

A few examples.

Hattusa has :
1 tundra field, 3 coastlines, 1 fish (in second row , only available after cultural borders increase), 1 hill, 1 bananas in jungle, 1 plains (with fresh water) and 1 grassland in its potential city radius
I have discovered agriculture, pottery, ironworking, wheel

So Hattusa got founded :
the first tile the Ai is working on is the grassland.
There is no fresh water, so the AI builds cottage. The next fields will be plains, there the ai builds farms.
Now the cultural borders increases and the ai changes to fish tile. The cottage is already finished but the farms is not. In anyway my govenor emphasises on food, so the ai leaves the plains and goes to fish.
The works on farms stops (but can later be finished). The ai starts to build fishing nets (takes 8 turns).
later the ai works on the jungle field. I already have iron working so the ai chops down the jungle and builds cottage.
Then I discover calendar. The Ai instantly checks for potential resources in my city tiles and starts to build plantation on the banana field, destroying the cottage in the process.

Now I found my second Niniveh city 5 tiles away. Instantly the Ai starts to build roads. It will take 5 turns to complete the whole road. Why ?
Bot cities works their adjacent tiles step by step. It takes two turns to finish one road on one tile, so after 2 turns we have two roads , one starting from Hattusa and one from Niniveh. After 4 turns we have 4 roads, two starting from Hattusa and two from Niniveh. The last missing field can be worked by both cities so it takes only one turn.

India of course needs a new UU, but we certainly can find something suitable, maybe they can get Fast Settlers.

Rod said:
Workers and Improvement

I do not like workers, they are annoying. Too much unneccessary micromanagement that just increases the time, my turn takes - who needs this ?

So what will we do ?

Automatic building of improvement

I actually dreamt of this years ago (and having the game appearing as a hologram you could walk around in, striding past the buildings like a collosus) but the implementation... i think it would be quite hard.

Still, i'll play test it. At the moment, whenever i auto my workers, they build towns everywhere and try to wander out alone in the wilderness in order to link up an isolated city founded by a scout, only to be swarmed by barbarians.

Could anyone make modcomp wich allows to play intro movies in mods -

1. it could be played before main manu,

2. but also cool would be playing intro movie after choosing start of scenario - you know this initial screen about sun shining on your people, and with face of the lider - would it be possible to replace this screen with initial intro movie - please help - probably it could be setup somwhere in python :)

Expanded Diplomacy

I've been trying to mod this myself though haven't had luck since I'm inexperienced.

The concept is to add two new diplomatic options and revise Open Borders et al.;

Non-Aggression Pact;

Creates a state of 'permanent' peace, like it would be if you signed a peace treaty during war for 10 turns. A Non-Aggression Pact would last 10 turns of enforced peace (after that treaty would remain until cancelled- if canceled civs would automatically sign a peace treaty for 10 turns) and only be offerable if the civs were already at peace and not subject to a peace treaty. The minimum level of diplomatic relations would be that of one better then the current Open Borders, such that it would be easier to obtain.

Trade Treaty;

Creates a partial version of Open Borders which is offerable if the civs currently have a non-aggression pact and would last 20 turns of enforced peace (after that treaty would remain until cancelled- if canceled civs would automatically re-sign their non-aggression pact for 10 turns). The minimum level of diplomatic relations would be that of the current Open Borders.

A Trade Treaty gives all benefits of Open Borders except the benefits that regard units... your units can not enter that civs borders unless that unit is excempt (like caraval). Civs that don't have a trade treaty can't trade tech with each other (if using TechLeak mod then that would start here with trade treaty and the trade routes with it).

Open Borders;

The standard Open Borders you're all familiar with, which is offerable only if the civs currently have a trade treaty. The minimum level of diplomatic relations would be that of one higher then the current Open Borders such that it's harder to obtain. If canceled civs would automatically re-sign their non-aggression pact for 10 turns.

(if using TechLeak mod then the leak would be double at this point).

Other Standard Treaties;

If any other treaty such as defensive pact and all those goodies are canceled the civs would automatically re-sign their non-aggression pact for 10 turns.

=-=

In closing, basically this would allow the ability to have more reasonable peace. You wouldn't go from a defensive alliance to war in one turn. Any treaty higher then a non-aggression pact has you resign the non-aggression pact for 10 turns, which itself when canceled has a peace treaty for 10 turns. Therefore civs have 20 turns of tense peace before any war would start (unless they recently signed a trade treaty in which case they'd have up to 40 turns notice).

These numbers are not set in stone but sound good. :goodjob:

This would work great in tandem with the DeadCiv and TechLeak Mods (which are awesome). :)

Any thoughts? Any takers? :D

It always bothers me that, on a real world map for example, Greece, as it's own territory and room for growth is very restricted, always ends up founding cities here and there randomly up in Siberia or elsewhere far removed from its own rightful sphere of influence.

Wouldn't it be more interesting and fun if settlers were not allowed to pass through other civs territories, even with open border agreements. Thus, civs with severly limited room for expansion, such as Greece in my example, would not waste time and resources founding useless cities far from home that will ultimatly succumb to a more cohesive civs culture, but would instead be forced into more immediate aggressive action in order to expand - that is, war.

Wouldn't this be more realistic as well.

I would really love to be able to see an overlay on real world maps which would label major geographical features such as rivers, deserts, mountain ranges, etc.

Since this is such an educational game, and we all spend so much time on it, wouldn't such a feature be enjoyable for all?

Conqueror Worm said:
I would really love to be able to see an overlay on real world maps which would label major geographical features such as rivers, deserts, mountain ranges, etc.

Since this is such an educational game, and we all spend so much time on it, wouldn't such a feature be enjoyable for all?

hello,

this feature is already there but only very few people use it.

The naming of region, peaks, rivers and so on is definitivly part of TAM as already in TAM for Civ III it was in common use to name these objects.

Other Mods that use it I am not aware of right now. Maybe you should send an pm about this to Rhye or post it in the RFC Forum as it would certainly belong to his Mod most.

The Airport Icon

I'd like to see a mod that adds an icon to the city bar whenever this city builds an airport. It should be easy to tell which city can airlift and which can not. If you have a big empire it's tedious to open the city screen, see if there is an airport, and then go on... same with the national wonders, there should be icons for them too. It's not so pressing on them though as the wonders are limited to few cities and mostly stacked. That would be cool !

Mod request:

3 Result Battle System: Win, loose or stop battle.

Add a new number - the survival or disengage factor - along with the strength factor. Combat goes as normal. When a units hit points (whether attacker or defender) are reduced by the survival/disengage amount, the unit disengages and battle stops.

The logic: Normally, if you make one unit powerful, it easily kills its counter. For instance, making the Trebuchet powerful makes it harder to defend against them. With this system, the Trebuchet can be powerful while also allowing the defenders to stand their own ground without getting slaughtered. How? The Trebuchets would have a survival factor as would the Longbowmen. If the Trebuchet gets on top of the battle, the Longbowmen would disengage. The disengage ability could be set to high for the Longbowmen so that they can disengage several times before being defeated while the Trebuchets might only be able to disengage once.

Praetorian: Strength 8; Survival Factor: 90. The Praetorian would disengage if it's health dropped by 90 points.

Keshik: Strength 5 (lowered); Survival Factor: 40. The Keshik would disengage if its health dropped by 40 points. This means the Keshik could disengage 2 times (at 60 HP, then at 20HP)before being defeated - which reflects their ability to evade.

Longbowmen: Strength 6; Survival Factor: 30. Can disengage 3 times.

Trebuchet: Strength 4 (and the 100% city attack bonus); Survival Factor: 90. Can disengage once.

Benefits:

*Heavily promoted Musketmen flukes it with a Gunship, the Gunship doesn't have to die. Instead, the Gunship stays alive as does the Musketmen.

*Be the absolute answer to the Spearman vs Tank issue. By having it so that each age of unit adds some 'native' survival factor to it, more advanced units will - even if they have a really bad roll - disengage from battle.

*Allow for a way to represent a very strong unit versus a very difficult to kill unit which isn't strong in itself. The Keshik would be weak relative to the Praetorian but the Keshik would have a much better ability to disengage from battle if the battle goes bad.

I have been wanting something like this for a very long time. I have no idea of why Firaxis has never made a 3 result battle system. It solves most of the frustrating problems that a 2 result system creates - namely, if high powered unit cannot beat heavily defended unit, then high powered unit dies, whereas it should be that both live.

Top Bottom