Heroes of Might and Wisdom

I uploaded a beta version of V9:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B322622C38FBEFCA!290&authkey=!AJ3ASzhtkErR038
it's not stable enough, if you like to try it out, report bugs here.

V9 ChangeLog:
Fix bug when heroes upgrade to navy units
Use single Unit Model for heroes
You can only upgrade hero in your own territory

Allstars V7 ChangeLog:
Add 5 new Races : Nage, Murlocs, Primal Zerg, Troll and Tauren
Great Person Improvement can improve all resource now
Fix bug that Trade Ship can't improve oil

Only being able to upgrade inside your own territory would be nice. I took a group of heroes to another city as fast knights then swapped then for catapults and swordsman for the attack after cleaning out some regular unit fodder protecting the city. A little OP. :)

I did this as well. As fun as it was, I completely agree it was OP. Fun, but OP.

This mod 'breaks/disables/overrides/whatever' the civilization ribbon for Enhanced User Interface. I posted about it there also but said I would post here in hope you can work together. It's far from game breaking as you can still just use the old single player score list, but, the civilization ribbon (much like heroes) is really an impressive game enhancement. :)

Note: all games played were set to difficulty Immortal (7). This beta has a lot of crashing problems, so no games were completed to the end, but I was able to try out some races extensively.

Murlocs: I really wanted to test this race because of their inability to build ships. However, the first time I tried them, the game crashed during the loading screen. The second time, after a full computer restart, I got it to load fine, but the display for what tiles the citizens were working in the city view was buggy, covering the tiles they were working in a white and red checkered pattern instead of displaying yields. I kept playing anyway, since actual yields were not effected, only the display. The game then crashed shortly after I hit the "next turn" button at the end of my first turn. LUA log from the second game here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=365391&stc=1&d=1385509201

Murlocs try #3: Restarted the computer again. This time, I did it on a duel size map to leave less room for errors. I managed to get well past the 1st turn, but the bug with the civilians working tiles in the city view remained. I was able to try out the race well enough before it crashed (when I clicked on the Civilopedia). They do NOT have extra embarked defense, despite what the race description says. This made it very hard to fend off barbarian ships, since they kill all land units in the water and I can't build my own ships. This will probably be the weakest race without a custom type of embarked defense that is even stronger than the War Canoe and Amphibious promotions that the Songhai Civ receives. LUA log from the third game here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=365392&stc=1&d=1385509201

Naga: I love the loading screen and I hope it doesn't get you in trouble. Heh. This is a fun race, but they are far, far too strong. Getting a free tech AND a free policy for female heroes creates a snowball effect that makes it easier and easier to build more and more wonders containing female heroes. Since two of the three starting Naga heroes are female, I was able to take Pottery and Sailing for free and start working on Skovos from turn 1, guaranteeing that I would not be out-built. Since the first hero is free, I also started turn 1 with Colonialism already opened. The next policy I took was the one that not only boosted wonder production, but allowed me to hire my second female hero for free immediately so that I could immediately get the policy which doubled palace output, also for free. Long story short, I was crushing everyone with my heroic female royal guards, decked out with full Shamanism, before anyone else had gotten out of the classical era. I suggest you either remove the free techs or remove the free social policies to balance this race. One is good, but both is too much. It will need one tiny extra benefit after that big benefit is removed, though. Maybe take away the free tech one, and then also add a slight culture gain for succeeding with Allure, haha.

Tauren: About as powerful as the Naga will be after the Naga are modified as I suggested. A solid race with a superior religious start thanks to the turn 1 great tile providing faith. A smart player will start with a Great Scientist or a Great Engineer. I started with an Engineer to ensure enough production to secure the next wonder. That early extra 4 production was very helpful, but not overpowering, especially when compared to The Dominion's abilities. Good stuff.

Troll: Played this one on a duel map as well. Heroes that start as Shadow Priests correctly receive the two Medic promotions and the March promotion, but heroes that are promoted to Shadow Priests only receive the Medic promotions, no March. This can be solved by getting a magic ring, but those take time to get, and heroes are missing out on a core ability until then. I was in the middle of building up for an early war when it crashed for no reason at the beginning of one of my turns. LUA log for that game here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=365393&stc=1&d=1385509201

Primal Zerg: Spain + America. Like Spain, they're great if you can manage to find a natural wonder that isn't claimed yet. Without that, they are a tad lame. I noticed that you moved the zerglings from Kerrigan to Zurvan, which makes complete sense. I like the idea you had with the Spawning Pool, but I don't think it's enough. Zerglings are very good by scout unit standards, but still technically weaker than warriors. 2 free units is not enough to make war with, and even if you just want to explore, you're still mainly using heroes to claim goodie huts since the heroes are the only ones who can choose the benefit. To get the true "zerg rush" feel, I think that Spawning Pool should create 3 or 4 zerglings rather than 2.

Attachments

• Lua2.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Lua3.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Lua4.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 171
V9 beta3 Update:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B322622C38FBEFCA!290&authkey=!AJ3ASzhtkErR038

Besides bug fix, this update changed some Talents/Aritfacts/Ability, aim to improve balance problems.
Aritfacts:
Add base Might/Wisdom requirements for all artifacts, heroes can on longer equip all artifacts, instead, they get those best for their own class
Abilities:
Reduce skill damage by around 10% - 20%
All spell range start at 3
Change FireBlot to Knockback, a battleMage use his magic staff to knock an enemy back and deal some damage, very useful for clear barbarian camp and enemy unit in city
Talents:
The Might/Wisdom talent now increase bas Might/Wisdom by 1 for each level
Frenzy not longer ingore cooldown, but grant 20% extra skill damage
Add Eagle Eye as the level 2 Secondary Wisdom talent, grant +2 spell range

After these changes, skills are no longer much more powerful than spells, and each class of hero should use artifacts and abilities best for their class.

Downloading and testing now. Spells are good if used properly - especially the combination of allure and haste to clear a barb camp. Haste is a aura I know but still.

However I will be testing this right away and will be thrilled to see more balance in the trees. I would like to suggest tying the firebolt staffs power to wisdom not might rather than changing it to a club - that would give wizards a better chance of surviving and gaining xp until they are powerful enough to be useful.

Question - does base might increase range damage like from an archer? Switch that to base wisdom might help balance the classes so people stay on the intended upgrade path.

Also, there are several systems out there that include changes to the base unit promotion system that would be cool to work with - e.g. have pray allow you to choose x promotions so you could get stuff like whoward's (like terrain crossing -- http://www.picknmixmods.com/mods/4f184876-e029-4aad-98a4-10e5334ce52e/mod.html) without you (the mod author) having to know they exist?

This mod 'breaks/disables/overrides/whatever' the civilization ribbon for Enhanced User Interface
I think I have a way to make the mod and the DLC able to coexist without steeping too much on each other's toes. The attached zipped modification suggestions are for the V9 beta mod version. Since you're the one doing the asking, you need to do the testing... Instructions:
  1. Exit Civ V
  2. Remove the "NotificationPanel.lua" and "NotificationPanel.xml" files from the mod's "UI/WorldView/" folder
  3. Download and extract the attached files
  4. Place the attached "HeroNotifications.lua" and "HeroNotifications.xml" in the mod's "UI/WorldView/" folder
  5. Replace the "Heroes of Might and Wisdom (v 9).modinfo" in the mod's root folder with the attached replacement
  6. Try it out...

since both mod change UI heavily(the unitpanel, the tarven, and so many other UI), the only choice is the merge Enhanced User Interface, I'll do this after my mods stable, merging two mods that updating frequently will be bad
That would be a configuration management nightmare... The only thing which really interferes badly is the NotificationPanel. If the solution to be tested by Hambil works, that would much more convenient.

Alright, first things first: it does work - thank you.

There are two issues I can see (and I realize this is not your mod and this may have just been a quick proof of concept) - The first issue is the custom notification graphics and sizing are lost (given the purpose of Enhanced User Interface I am sure you can understand why looks might matter to epicss. The second is that it doesn't degrade gracefully. If you remove the DLC the custom notification graphics and sizing do not return.

Both solvable issues, and I can play it just fine (and will, with much gratitude).

Nope it does not work at all. The whole point of this patch is to replace the "generic" bland notifications generated when the game does not recognize the notification type, with Epicss's notifications exactly as intended with the proper graphics.

I would need to have a look at your lua.log file to understand what's going on.
If it says somewhere "Failed to setup hero notifications", not good but it's a start.
If it says somewhere "Successful setup of hero notifications", then I will need to put more "prints" in the code to understand what's going on.
If neither of these messages happen, then it's a problem with the .modinfo file which should be very easy to fix (or perhaps you did not place the files in the correct folder).
Also did you get texture load errors ?

OK I think I know what's going on, the .modinfo file includes these lines:
Code:
    <EntryPoint type="InGameUIAddin" file="LUA/HeroesEvents.lua">
      <Name>HeroesEvents</Name>
      <Description>Born, die, rivive, burning, confused ...</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
    <EntryPoint type="InGameUIAddin" file="UI/Popups/TavernHeader.lua">
      <Name>Tavern</Name>
      <Description>Where you hire Heroes</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
That does not seem to be correct "InGameUIAddin" entry point types (they are not lua UI contexts, only lua scripts), and probably crash the UI's "InGameUIAddin" manager.
Try removing these lines... or moving this section:
Code:
    <EntryPoint type="InGameUIAddin" file="UI/WorldView/HeroNotifications.xml">
      <Name>HeroNotifications</Name>
      <Description>Hero notifications</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
at the beginning of the <EntryPoints> section, before the instructions which cause the crash.

Nothing in the logs, and this is all firetuner has to say about it:

Code:
HeroesEvents: nil
 HeroesEvents: InitAllHeroes----------------------------------------
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_JAPAN	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_INDONESIA	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_INCA	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_VENICE	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_AMERICA	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_SONGHAI	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_GERMANY	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_ASSYRIA	3
 HeroesEvents: CIVILIZATION_SHOSHONE	3
 Advisors: Marking  as seen
 NotificationPanel: Unknown Notification, Adding generic 2

We are much closer but I'm still seeing some bugs:

Code:
HeroNotifications: Successful setup of hero notifications
 NotificationPanel: Unknown Notification, Adding generic 2
 HeroNotifications: Show Tavern for first Hero
 HeroNotifications: Tavern hired, available, forhire: 	0	3	3
 Runtime Error: C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Heroes of Might and Wisdom (v 9)\UI/WorldView/HeroNotifications.lua:50: attempt to call a table value
stack traceback:
	C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Heroes of Might and Wisdom (v 9)\UI/WorldView/HeroNotifications.lua:50: in function 'HideChooseHeroButton'
	C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Heroes of Might and Wisdom (v 9)\UI/WorldView/HeroNotifications.lua:62: in function <C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Heroes of Might and Wisdom (v 9)\UI/WorldView/HeroNotifications.lua:58>
 HeroNotifications: table: 5A0D3638	TXT_KEY_HERO_WASHAKIE
 TavernPopup: Change to single unit model for hero 	TXT_KEY_HERO_WASHAKIE	UNIT_WARRIOR_HOMW
 TavernPopup: TXT_KEY_HERO_WASHAKIE	32770	false
 TavernPopup: SaveHeroReviveInfo	0:32770	TXT_KEY_HERO_WASHAKIE
 TavernPopup: GetHeroTrait	HEROTRAIT_EXPLORER3
 TavernPopup: Call back to Born Hero for Human Player
 NotificationPanel: Unknown Notification, Adding generic 3
 NotificationPanel: Unknown Notification, Adding generic 4
 Runtime Error: C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Heroes of Might and Wisdom (v 9)\UI/WorldView/HeroNotifications.lua:50: attempt to call a table value

Top Bottom