Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

The following comes from the BUG Mod "Read Me" file, with slight changes to make it specfic for the Mac. You still need to make the patch in post 172. (The dots are only there to indent the folders to show what is inside what, because I could not figure out how else to make the indents.):

2. INSTALLATION

WARNING: You should never modify or replace the original BTS Assets files.

To install BUG as a mod so that you must load it to play, place the folder that contains this README file into your BTS's Mods folder.

~/Applications
...../Civilization IV
......./Beyond the Sword
........./Mods
.........../BUG Mod

To install BUG so that it is always active with your games (this will allow you to use it with succession games and games you open from the CivFanatics forum), you must first copy the files and folders from the Assets folder in the unzipped BUG Mod download into your CustomAssets folder. Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets and copy the Info and UserSettings folders into it. Finally, copy the files inside PrivateMaps into BTS's PublicMaps folder.

At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

~/Documents
...../Beyond the Sword
......./CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
......./BUG Mod <-- create this folder
.........../Info <-- copy these two folders here
........../UserSettings <-- copy these two folders here
......./PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

In both cases, you need to create the BUG Mod folder. It does not already exist. I have mine installed in CustomAssets, where it works fine. I cannot vouch for the method using Applications folder.

double post, please delete

Ok well I found the python folder and was able to get it to work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction AlanH I appreciate it.

Also the directions you give on page 3 does not say to put it in the applications path, it clearly says to put it in the documents path, so now I am even more confused. I am just guessing you got it mixed up?

Sorry for the confusion, I should have read my own post more carefully. The Page 3 instructions actually relate to installing the BugMod into the THIRD optional location - CustomAssets. If you have followed those instructions then you should find the file you need to edit at ~/Documents/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py

[X-Posted] Glad to see you worked it out. It's confusing having three places where everything can be installed, isn't it!

Sorry for the confusion, I should have read my own post more carefully. The Page 3 instructions actually relate to installing the BugMod into the THIRD optional location - CustomAssets. If you have followed those instructions then you should find the file you need to edit at ~/Documents/CustomAssets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py

[X-Posted] Glad to see you worked it out. It's confusing having three places where everything can be installed, isn't it!

Yes... and it does work in single player. But I just tried to play a multiplayer game and had the same problem!
Has anyone had this problem?

Hi fine Mac folk,

I've been lurking in these forums for what seems like forever. Obviously my first post had to be about something like this.

Anyway, I just got BtS, fashionably late I must say. AlanH, in the #172 post, you refer to Python 2.3 - I've got 2.6.1 - does it even matter? I'll try with and without patching / deleting the function later I guess.

All the BAT/BUG references over at SourceForge is totally PC-centric - the latest BAT, does it work on Mac? And what about the Blue Marble Terrain Mod, anyone got that working?

Excuse me if this is all answered earlier, I do however appreciate a nod in the general direction ;)

PS: I've always loved the CIV series, and the sheer intelect and abiance in these forums. Just discovering that it has an active programming/dev community as well -- icing on the cake! KUTGW!!:goodjob:

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Yes, I have only versions 2.4 and 2.5 installed in Snow Leopard. However, that's irrelevant. Firaxis couldn't assume that Python would be installed in Windows, so they shipped a Python library (DLL) with the game, and linked to that. Aspyr have gone along the same path, perhaps to ensure that a known version is always in use.

I think the first version that Firaxis shipped with vanilla Civ4 was 2.3, and even though Firaxis replaced it with version 2.4 for their later releases, Aspyr have stuck with the original one leaving us with mod coding incompatibilities. And since Aspyr have hard-linked to the Python library, you can't replace a separate framework in the package to get the later version.

Re. BAT and BleMarble, there are threads in this forum relating to these. BAT is not a current Mac project. BlueMarble works fine here.

Thanks for the reply and the links.

I started diving into the code a little after downloading BAT, ran into some xml errors - there were only two as far as I could tell (civ4diplomacytext.xml, referenced twice, and "female missionaries_civ4gametext.xml" - referenced with all lower case obscurities, but xml seems well-formed). Who knows what the implications might've been. Certainly not me.

Anyway, reading the post you linked to, updated yesterday, i guest I'd better give up on that one, eh?

I'll test the BUG and BlueMarble stuff now :)

EDIT: Diving into it, and as I'll try to make both mods load as default (via CustomAssets) one of my least favorite features of OSX *nix file system kicks in: the inability to easily merge folders and folder contents. Good thing CIV told me how to cope with micromanagement.. Any tips on what to keep, duplicates to look out for, or the best order of doing things? I'm all ears.

EDIT II: Eh, ok. There were no duplicates. Almost like this was thought through. :p Looking fw to testing. :D

The BAT thread first post was updated yesterday at my request.

Xyth had thought he updated it a long time ago to say BAT for Mac was no longer supported, but someone tripped over the broken link to the old mod yesterday. I don't think fixing the XML is sufficient to get it working. As I understand it, there are some graphics bugs as well, and they may not cause problems until you are well into a game.

Yeah, read through it and saw your comments at the end there. As a software dude myself, I kinda envisioned a world of trouble and unloaded promptly. :)

The BUG mod was overwhelming, but it looks really good. It might help me to finally push my game beyond Noble. Looking forward to diving into it. Thanks for the help!

Btw, as I loaded the first quick game, there were some horrible graphic bugs, the leader animations were FUBAR. I think I remember something like that from playing BtS on PC some years ago, I guess it's unrelated to the modding.

Check out our FAQ. We've been around the block a few times in this forum, so most issues have been addressed at some point. Leaderheads with missing faces (if that's your problem) are related to a non-zero setting for anti-aliasing in Graphics options.

Thanks, I'll read up on it. It's kinda nice not being an early adopter sometimes, you lot all did the hard work ;)

I suggest you post in the BUG Mod forum. That's where the experts live.

I suggest you post in the BUG Mod forum. That's where the experts live.

Yeah I did that and received zero replies..
So I am just going to reiterate exactly what my problem was incase anyone else encountered the same thing and fixed it.
I installed the Bug Mod, tried to play and got the problem with the game opening in the tech advisor screen and then when I exited out there was no interface.
So I found AlanH's instructions in post 172 and followed them. Fixed the problem, in single player games.
In multiplayer games the problem remains.

I am surprised you are getting no help there. Have you followed EmperorFool's instructions in that forum for setting up logging and providing a debug log trace?

So I found AlanH's instructions in post 172 and followed them. Fixed the problem, in single player games.
In multiplayer games the problem remains.

I did not understand this to be the problem. I assume you installed BUG as a Mod and to CustomAssets, correct? Otherwise it shouldn't be active in multiplayer.

If that's the case, you'll need to apply the same fix to the same file in the "Mods/BUG Mod x.x" folder. I'm not sure where that folder is on the Mac, but I suspect it is wherever the application itself is installed.

I did not understand this to be the problem. I assume you installed BUG as a Mod and to CustomAssets, correct? Otherwise it shouldn't be active in multiplayer.

If that's the case, you'll need to apply the same fix to the same file in the "Mods/BUG Mod x.x" folder. I'm not sure where that folder is on the Mac, but I suspect it is wherever the application itself is installed.

At this point I have just removed the mod entirely because I do like to play multiplayer, but yes I tried installing the mod both ways, as a mod you have to load and in the custom assets folder. In both cases I corrected the appropriate file. And in both cases the same effect, though installing it as a mod I had to load I could only play games that where started with the mod loaded that way, I assume that is normal.

Also when you install it in the custom assets folder as far as I could tell there was no Bug Mod x.x folder in the applications/civilization 4/beyond the sword/mods.
It either lives in one place or the other so there is only one file to fix.

I am surprised you are getting no help there. Have you followed EmperorFool's instructions in that forum for setting up logging and providing a debug log trace?

No I didn't do that, at that point I had pretty much given up trying to fix it and just deleted the bug mod.
Not only did I not receive help there btw the only post I got was someone making fun of macs.

Top Bottom