Sulla's Civilization IV Walkthrough

Sullla or Sirian,

What would you suggest for my two SG's? Civilization to try, level, VC?
I'd really like each SG to get completely different views of the game.
Maybe you could post in Who-1 since this thread is overcrowded.

Thanks for so many people answering my question so thoroughly! ^_^

What I meant was more are their direct advantages to having a purely secular civ, to choose it over actually having a religion? Like a financial benefit or having techs that you can only get to research if you DON'T have a religion in your civ, and so on. It matters not really, clearly religion is a big influence in the game and to choose not to have one at some point would be to deprive yourself of many other aspects. So I understand why there isn't this choice now.

Thanks.

what a great read... thanks for taking the time to write it all up!! I was bummed when I got to the end of section 2 :(

Can't wait for the next installments and the outcome of your Civ!

Just wanted to echo the thanks from everyone else. It's quite good, thanks for doing that!

Sorry to bombard you with religion questions, but here's another: if you found two or more religions, would there ever be any reason to have the second or third be your state religion? It seems that the first one you found would always be more widespread in your cities, and thus it makes more sense to keep that one.

I confess to being one of those people that thought, and said to everyone that asked what I thought, based on what I had seen and read of the game so far it had been dumbed down and streamlined for RTS-dom. But reading Sullas walkthrough gave more enlightenment to the game then hundreds of pointless screenshots, previews and reviews.

Perhaps it might not not suck after all :)

But I'll have to wait until the 4th of Nov before the stores overe here get it in stock.

Question;
If two units can co-exist on the same square. What happens if war is declared between the two while they share a square or a city? Is combat resolved or do one have to exit the square and then attack again?

Nice introductory walkthrough.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the game reasonally balanced? Between traits/factions? Between the main core strategies conqueror/builder? Is it easy to be shafted with a poor starting location?

2. How hard is the game? What difficulty evel can you usually win at given a typical start?

Sulla, I echo the other's comments and thanks. The walkthrough is concise and entertaining. I'm sure it will be read and reread for quite a while. When you are finished posting all the installments, go paperback with it and put me down for a first edition, signed of course.:)

Sulla, thank you very much for your hard work with this. Your GOTM stories is what got me to buy my third Civ game. Perhaps you or any of the lucky ones who has picked up their copy can answer a small question for me; I'm trying to figure out how good the built-in world maps are (if any). I never did find any decent world maps for civ3...somthing I missed greatly from Civ2

Cheers

absolutly fantastic... thanks for a great job and wilingness to share.. it is just a shame that there will always be a few who fail to appreciated the time it has taken you to write all this down so well just so you can share it.. Thanks again

:goodjob: Sulla, your write ups are awesome. I will not receive Civ4 until next week:sad: so I look foward to each days new section:D. Your write will certainly give all of us who have and will read it a good head start on playing competitively.:thanx:

oh, and please, just keep on reporting Sulla. Even after I get the game, I will keep on reading your reports!!!

Let's see if I understand this re: multiple religions.

If you found more than one religion, each gets a holy city (possibly overlapping?). Each one can then build a shrine. If they spread their religions to your cities (and foreign cities), the shrines each get their revenue from the cities, even if the second and third (etc) religions are small percentages. And there is no unhappiness from multiple religions in a town?

In cost, you've just spent multiple prophets in building shrines, and you've had to set up extra missionary-producing buildings as well as extra missionaries. You've also had to devote a lot of research to the techs, at the expense of other techs and possible stunting of your empire.

Is all of this correct?

Awesome read Sullla, thanks a lot.

By the way, are the old 'exploits' from Civ 3 still there to any degree? Can you still get a right of passage, move all your troops next to their cities, and then declare war? Even if the diplomatic consequences are very bad, this is still the most efficient way of wiping a civ out if you're the most powerful in the world.

How about the mass upgrade trick? I know most players considered this a viable strategy, but I thought it was a bit stupid. If I remember properly you can build a lot of low-tech units for less shields, but only BEFORE you research the higher tech. I mean, if this is a viable strategy, why shouldn't you be able to build low-tech units later on, just because your technology is more advanced? It just seems a very artificial way of turning gold into shields. IMO upgrading a unit should require it to sit in a city and get 'rebuilt' with shields (for a slightly lower shield cost and retaining its experience).

Great Job:goodjob: Look forward to part two. A nice diversion till the game arrives and the new video card. :D

Hey Sulla... you scored a mention in the manual.

Too cool, dude!

For those of you without the manual, you should see the Religion disclaimer box:

"We're game designers, not theologians."

Now I am going to go play.

:D

Hey Sulla,

great work. It's going to be a while before I get the game over here, so this'll keep me going.

Stonehenge looks like it's centred the mini-map. Is that another of the benefits? Quite a good one considering the excellent new mini-map system.

One point:

"As you can see, Mecca is producing 11 shields/turn"

Old habits die hard, eh!

Top Bottom