Quick Questions and Answers

@all - thanks again for the answers. I just now made it through the end of page 14 and found the same exact question I asked, asked almost the same way. I shoulda been more patient with my reading. On the bright side. WOW! Those trade routes make such a huge difference, I can probably bump up my game another difficulty now.

@GreenEyedZombeh - Are they injured? Check the lower-left hand corner of your screen when you have a unit selected. There's a box to represent the Unit. If it has a border that looks like a red, yellow, green, etc, bar with some black at the top, it's injured, and as you lose health, the number of your units visually drops from a group to fewer and fewer.

How do you start a scenario? I've created a map where certain civs start with certain units on specially assigned locations. But I cant start the game with these settings (like a scenario).

I am however able to start it as a map, but the starting locations is randomized that way, and the special units civs start with are gone.

How do you take over a city with a ranged unit? I can reduce the health of the city with ranged attack then move the unit onto the tile of the city but all that seems to do is trigger another ranged attack but the unit doesn't move.

How do you take over a city with a ranged unit? I can reduce the health of the city with ranged attack then move the unit onto the tile of the city but all that seems to do is trigger another ranged attack but the unit doesn't move.

I dont think Ranged Attack only units can capture cities.

Is there maintenance on roads now? (how much?) Do I still need to use roads to connect resources to the city inside the border? What about to give my empire access to iron for example?

Kind of an urgent question : Can you use an engineer to rush Utopia?

Is there maintenance on roads now? (how much?)

Roads cost 1gold for 3 tiles. At least on standard length game on huge map.

No, great people work differently than Civ IV. Engineeers give a +3p bonus to any tile or golden age. Besides, Utopia is more of a project, so it wouldn't even if it was able to rush buildings like Civ IV.

How do you start a scenario? I've created a map where certain civs start with certain units on specially assigned locations. But I cant start the game with these settings (like a scenario).

I am however able to start it as a map, but the starting locations is randomized that way, and the special units civs start with are gone.
You need to not use advanced set up for it. When you go to load it, use the basic set up screen, and you should be able to select your map. When you do that, there is a "Load Scenario" box to check.
No, great people work differently than Civ IV. Engineeers give a +3p bonus to any tile or golden age. Besides, Utopia is more of a project, so it wouldn't even if it was able to rush buildings like Civ IV.
First, no you cannot use an engineer to rush the Utopia. Engineers can rush buildings and wonders. on top of the two listed by Mark. When rushing they give 600 + 30*(population number of city) hammers toward the project. At least I think that's the formula.

My question: Who pays for a road I build in a city states land?
The city state does. If a road is in any civ's or city states boundaries, they pay for regardless of who built it.
Roads cost 1gold for 3 tiles. At least on standard length game on huge map.
This is tied to difficulty level. On Prince and above roads are a base 1 gold for 1 hex.

I conquered a city state as part of a mission and annexed it thinking I could change my mind later. The city state is useless. It's in the middle of the desert with no resources or means of production. It will take 47 turns to build a courthouse! How do I get rid of it?! I can't raze it because it was the capitol city. How do I create a puppet state out of it? I've tried everything I can think of in the city screen and the civlopedia has nothing to say on the matter. Please help!

First, no you cannot use an engineer to rush the Utopia.
Thanks, I take it engineers can't rush projects in general right?

When rushing they give 600 + 30*(population number of city) hammers toward the project. At least I think that's the formula.
That furmulae didn't work for me. My capitol had a population of around ~19 and I used the engineer to rush Cristo.. It gave me exactly 780 hammers on the 1200 needed to complete the buildings. (Standard speed, standard size map.) So it might be 600 + (20 * pop).

I conquered a city state as part of a mission and annexed it thinking I could change my mind later. The city state is useless. It's in the middle of the desert with no resources or means of production. It will take 47 turns to build a courthouse! How do I get rid of it?! I can't raze it because it was the capitol city. How do I create a puppet state out of it? I've tried everything I can think of in the city screen and the civlopedia has nothing to say on the matter. Please help!
You can't make it a puppet or raze it. Once you annex a city, it can't be a puppet. If you want to get rid of it, sell it to an AI, that's the only way at this point.
Thanks, I take it engineers can't rush projects in general right?
Not sure what you mean by this. An engineer can rush any non-unit except the Utopia as far as I'm aware.
That furmulae didn't work for me. My capitol had a population of around ~19 and I used the engineer to rush Cristo.. It gave me exactly 780 hammers on the 1200 needed to complete the buildings. (Standard speed, standard size map.) So it might be 600 + (20 * pop).
That may be right. It's some strange formula along those lines.:crazyeye:

What does the fire Tuner do and what happens when I allow it to connect to my game?

@GreenEyedZombeh - Are they injured? Check the lower-left hand corner of your screen when you have a unit selected. There's a box to represent the Unit. If it has a border that looks like a red, yellow, green, etc, bar with some black at the top, it's injured, and as you lose health, the number of your units visually drops from a group to fewer and fewer.[/QUOTE]

No they are not injured. It always has been single unit graphics. But I cant find anywhere how to change it to multiple units

Not sure what you mean by this. An engineer can rush any non-unit except the Utopia as far as I'm aware.

I am pretty sure I've come across a couple other wonders that an engineer cannot rush, but I don't remember now what they were (think one was the space program wonder).

Yes, those are called projects. They are not exactly wonders or buildings.

I am pretty sure I've come across a couple other wonders that an engineer cannot rush, but I don't remember now what they were (think one was the space program wonder).

Yes, the projects can't be rushed.

The Manhattan Project, Utopia Project, and I think the Apollo Program.

When I started playing last week, I am pretty sure I would get the combat box when my city is bombarding an enemy so I could see how much damage it will do (estimated of course). However, for the past few days, I do not get the combat box when bombarding with a city. Can anyone confirm if they do get the box or not, and if you do, any way to enable it (keyboard shortcut I hit by accident maybe)?

Top Bottom