[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tested the new additions a bit because I had a suspicion that two things might have gone wrong. I found one issue and fixed it while the other was false alarm. To my knowledge the speed improvements should be bug free.
I would have had a better feeling to release this next week, if some more people would have tested.
But everything should be fine anyways. :)
Actually I did test something and I even fixed the issue I found. I would have tested it more if I had more time, but my past few weeks really got screwed up with it comes to mod development and I ended up doing nothing at all.

Actually I did test something and I even fixed the issue I found.

I know. :thumbsup:
But there have been several changes again since then ...

It was not meant as accusation or anything like that.
It really only wanted to say that I would have liked to get a bit more feedback.

I would have tested it more if I had more time, but my past few weeks really got screwed up with it comes to mod development and I ended up doing nothing at all.

Everything should be all right with the upcoming release. :)
I have tested a lot and Schmiddie tested as well.

I have made some changes of the mod for my personal taste and due to the fact that some players also mentioned that it would be nice if some small things could be changed (the train for example), I have decided to release a small Mod-Mod of the next version of RaR which is going to be released on short notice.

Great. :goodjob:
(Don't forget to post some screenshots when you publish it. :) )

Why is a railroad available for me to build in 1591???

My main reason to introduce this feature was gameplay on Gigantic maps simply needs some way of fast transporation on land.
Trains seemed to be the most appropriate solution for me.

I am absolutely aware, that it is not historically correct considering actual historical timeline.
But on the other hand Civ4Col is a bit alternative history anyways.

Some people really like the feature others don't. :dunno:
But nobody forces the player to use it, so it might simply be ignored.

I feel like this ruined release 1.5 for me.

Don't worry. :)
Schmiddie will publish a small modmod for the upcoming Release 1.6 that will replace trains.

Why is a railroad available for me to build in 1591???

I feel like this ruined release 1.5 for me.

Don Senglar provided this edit to remove railroads:

CIV4UnitInfos.xml has a tag <Builds> where described all BuildTypes (_ROAD, _PLASTERED_ROAD, _RAILROAD, _FARM, etc) that the unit can build.

To deactivate railroads for each unit you have to find these lines

Code:
<Build>
<BuildType>BUILD_RAILROAD</BuildType>
<bBuild>1</bBuild>
</Build>and exchange 1 on 0.

This is a bit tedious because there are so many units, but I felt it was ultimately worth it.

Btw I play on humungous maps

This is a bit tedious because there are so many units, but I felt it was ultimately worth it.

As I said, Schmiddie will provide a small modmod that will replace Railroads. :)
All you need is a bit of patience. :thumbsup:

@team and mod-modders:

New revision available in SVN.

Thanks to Nightinggale, we could finally find out what caused the freezes we had been reported several times. :goodjob:
(It was a bug in the feature "Forts". "Monasteries" had a similar bug.)

Now, everything should be fine again. :)
(Tested both features intensively.)

Release 1.6 will be published, once our friends at infracta have time to upload it.
(Should be within the next days. Maybe even tomorrow.)

Schmiddie has included the warpaint graphics for Pine Leaf from Saibotlieh to our mod.
(Displayed when she is angry.)

It is really looking good. :goodjob:

It is just a pitty that Pine Leaf is the only of our Native Leaders that has this feature.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 163
Release 1.6 is available here for download now.

------------

It is an improved version of Release 1.5.

1) Many small bug fixes, balancing improvements, graphical improvements, AI improvements, ...
2) One major bugfix to a bug that occassionally caused game freezes.
3) Performance and speed improvements (most noteable optimizations from Nightinggale.)
4) New Advisor Screen from Nightinggale

------------

Savegames from Release 1.5 are not compatible.
Please start new games and also clean cache.

------------

Enjoy. :)

Very cool (and earlier than expected)! Thanks Schmiddie, Nightinggale and raystuttgart for all your time and effort! I'm going to try it right now.

Kudos to Ray and Team.:goodjob:

Downloaded it and played a bit last night.

Too early in the game to see if its going faster or not

I found an interesting Feature with respect to "Great Generals":

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14154

It gives completely new functions and effectiveness to Great Generals.

I think it sounds very interesting.

Maybe one of our modder is interested to implement such feature in RaR? It needs some programming and I think also in the DLL.

I wound take care regarding all needed graphics.

Maybe one of our modder is interested to implement such feature in RaR? It needs some programming and I think also in the DLL.
"@MOD Commanders" appears 72 places in the source. It's not an overnight job to move it to RaR. It's not unlikely that I will take a look when I'm done with my current task, which is to recode Journeyman modcomp and move it into M:C. That's not trivial either. I don't have a timescale on when I might be done with this, if I even manage to figure out how to move CIV4 code into CIV4col.

Also I only looked at 2 files out of 11. The others might contain nasty surprises, but I don't want to investigate too much right now as it may corrupt my fresh memory of Journeyman coding.

- Unit art styles of England changed into „red“
- Unit art styles of England in revolutionary era changed to „Continental style“ - but this is optional (file path's have to be changed manually in the beginning of the revolution)
- Unit art styles of England Ships in revolutionary era (also optional)
I like the idea, but hate manually editing files to do something like that. I looked at doing it automatically like AoD does it. However that system is not only flawed, it also failed to work at all.

I just had an inspiration. What if the player's cached their unit art?
While it might be a bit faster (it's likely so minor that nobody will notice), the real bonus here is that during revolution we can write something else in the cache. That "something else" can then be new data in XML, which is not used by anything other than the cache generating code and the game will be able to switch graphics without file modifications.

I haven't checked the code to see how well this would work, but if I remember correctly, it would be within reach to do something like this. On the other I'm not 100% sure it will work.

I like the idea, but hate manually editing files to do something like that. I looked at doing it automatically like AoD does it. However that system is not only flawed, it also failed to work at all.

I just had an inspiration. What if the player's cached their unit art?
While it might be a bit faster (it's likely so minor that nobody will notice), the real bonus here is that during revolution we can write something else in the cache. That "something else" can then be new data in XML, which is not used by anything other than the cache generating code and the game will be able to switch graphics without file modifications.

I haven't checked the code to see how well this would work, but if I remember correctly, it would be within reach to do something like this. On the other I'm not 100% sure it will work.

Creating a feature that changes the graphics after Revolution should not be impossible.
But the real issue is the graphics and not the code in the DLL.

You will need (Revolutionary-)UnitArtStyles after declaring Revolution for all Euopeans.
Schmiddie has created only the ones for England.

Edit:

You could also try to introduce "Era-Specific graphics". (Revolution is an Era)
(I think the feature exists in Civ4 BTS and might be a good solution.)

Thus the feature would be reusable for many other mods.

Edit 2:

Take special care of performance. (Probably no need to mention, but I do it anyways.)
Such a feature could really ruin performance in a mod with a lot of graphics if it is done wrong.

You will need (Revolutionary-)UnitArtStyles after declaring Revolution for all Euopeans.
Schmiddie has created only the ones for England.
That's not the tricky part. If the new info is missing, then use the non-revolution UnitArtStyle. I'm more concerned with the question on how to tell the this unit uses UnitArtStyle X during Revolution, but for England only. I haven't quite figured out how it would be best to write that info in XML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom