What's with all the hate?

Console games are teh suck. The only purpose of a Civ game is to modify it. Can't modify a console game!

Wtf do you mean:confused: :confused: Civ games are not only for modding. Only twisted minds think that

IMO the trouble with CivRev is if it represents the future of Civ. Would you really want Civ5 to incorporate simpler features and focus so much on the cartoonish eye candy? If this is just a quick deviation to stir up interest for the Civ series that's alright and I'll just happily ignore it, but I have a feeling it's more than that simply because other strategy series have gone in the same direction.

i wonder if you get advanced starts? (or start in a different era, because i like starting in classical).

IMO the trouble with CivRev is if it represents the future of Civ. Would you really want Civ5 to incorporate simpler features and focus so much on the cartoonish eye candy? If this is just a quick deviation to stir up interest for the Civ series that's alright and I'll just happily ignore it, but I have a feeling it's more than that simply because other strategy series have gone in the same direction.

There is NO WAY that this is even close to what Civ V is going to look like. They are going to do what they've down every single time a new REAL Civ game comes out. They go back, see what was really fun put those things back in. Take out the bad parts and add a lot of new things. I've said it before and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to have to say it again. THIS IS NOT FOR OTHER CIV PLAYERS. THIS IS GOING TO BE MADE FOR NEW PEOPLE TO ENJOY AND FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED TO BUY. Other people don't even have to take a second look if they don't want to.;) :lol:

Those who claim this is for a new audience and that Civ fans need not buy it are right. Those that say it won't affect Civ fans are probably wrong. Like it or not (and I don't) there is far more money in console games than PC games. Games for consoles can be fun (I do some gaming on the PS3, though I primarily use it as a Blue-ray player), but the games tend to be different than PC games--faster, more twitch based, less strategy, less thinking, more interested in rewarding the player than in challenging him or her. Aside from the fact that more effort gets placed on developing console games (resulting in fewer PC games), these concepts spill over into the PC games that do get made. A good example is Oblivion. Its predecessor, Morrowind, was a great RPG designed for the PC that was also ported to XBox. Oblivion, though a fun game to play, was a step back for PC RPG fans. In direct contrast to Morrowwind, it was developed primarily for XBox 360 and ported to the PC, which showed in its clunky PC UI. And the gameplay was far more twitch based than traditional PC RPGs. Similarly, WoW, though on the PC, ruined MMORGs by dumbing down EQ to appeal to the console crowd. Financially, it is understandable what Firaxis is doing. And I cannot guarantee that there will not be a worthy Civ 5--I sure hope there is. But I don't think anyone can really guarantee that Firaxis will spend the money for that project when it can turn a much bigger profit by producing dumbed down games.

May I ask - how long will last a game?

It sounds like Battle For Middle Earth 2.

How does it sound like BFME II?:confused: :confused: I don't think so because CivRev is a turn-based game while BFMEII is a RTS game.:confused:
Please say why.:confused:

I'm pretty sure they said around 2 to 3 hours a game.:( ;)
Yet they also said after adding everything in it probably be more like 4-5 hour game.

Really? where did it say that. I'm not really following CivRev too much so I probably missed the news release.;) :D

A good game if you travel with bus. Not a serious game, thought!

i think that PC gamers are such elitists that any game that was born/spawned on the PC must NEVER. EVER. EVER. make it to a console, or in their eyes it will demean gaming because of all the "kiddies" and "idiots" will play it and think "Durrrrgh PC's Are ST00pid"

I'm a Console Gamer, i think the general amount of hate towards console gamers is disgusting, if you don't like Civ Rev, go back to your Civ 2 Board.

/Rant

i think that PC gamers are such elitists that any game that was born/spawned on the PC must NEVER. EVER. EVER. make it to a console, or in their eyes it will demean gaming because of all the "kiddies" and "idiots" will play it and think "Durrrrgh PC's Are ST00pid"

I'm a Console Gamer, i think the general amount of hate towards console gamers is disgusting, if you don't like Civ Rev, go back to your Civ 2 Board.

/Rant

I think you're just going to make them all madder. I play console games and even though I like Civ a WHOLE lot better, console games are ok.;)

PC Gamer, a very serious PC-magazine.

Where did you hear that? :mischief:

Swedishguy

[WIKI]PC Games[/WIKI]

A wiki link. Now my argument is undefeatable.
I'm not sure what in that wiki link you're pointing to...

In any case, THIS is from [WIKI]Video Game[/WIKI]:

The NPD Group tracks computer and video game sales in the United States. It reported that:

* Console and portable software sales: $6.2 billion, up 8% from 2003[30]
* Console and portable hardware and accessory sales: $3.7 billion, down 35% from 2003[30]
* PC game sales: $1.1 billion, down 15% from 2006[31]
Now that doesn't give figures on games sold, but it's pretty clear what is doing better, considering console games made $6.2 billion and PC games made only $1.1 billion. Not only that, but the numbers are increasing for video games and decreasing for PC games.

I'm not sure what in that wiki link you're pointing to...

In any case, THIS is from [WIKI]Video Game[/WIKI]:

Now that doesn't give figures on games sold, but it's pretty clear what is doing better, considering console games made $6.2 billion and PC games made only $1.1 billion. Not only that, but the numbers are increasing for video games and decreasing for PC games.
That's from the United States only.

Top Bottom