Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Atari

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • A shoebox

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Firaxis, the reason is not that the Wii is unsuited, just that they do not have the manpower in house to do another version simultaneously.

We know. The above rancor has little to do with that, but more to do with shallow thinking.

I pick the Nintendo DS because I don't have any of the others except a PC.

I don't own a Wii, so I don't have any dog in that fight, but your explanation doesn't even make any sense. By what standard is the Wii not a "serious gamers platform?" I have a Nintendo DS, which a lot of people would say is a kids' games platform, does that make it any less serious?

First off, Nintendo DS is a different beast, its marketed to everybody, including my parents (brain drain, or whatever game they play).

Most that know gaming consoles know that the Wii isn't a serious gamers platform. Just look at the types of games that are being issued for the Xbox 360 vs the Wii. The most popular games for the wii are for the ones that utilzie the wand, for all other games they play like normal console games, which are not up to code with either the 360 or the PS3.

Now from personal experiences, I know many people that have either both, or all 3. The Wii gets used for social settings, but when everybody leaves and its time for hardcore gaming, fighting, sports games, etc., the 360 is the platform. I have 2, and when my wife wants me to stop gaming to watch tv in my main room, I ask her to play Wii Sports, as she likes that. Wii is fun, in a limited sense, but not a platform you want if you want to play hardcore shooter, or sporting simulation games. Wii, very cutesy.

Now from personal experiences, I know many people that have either both, or all 3. The Wii gets used for social settings, but when everybody leaves and its time for hardcore gaming, fighting, sports games, etc., the 360 is the platform. I have 2, and when my wife wants me to stop gaming to watch tv in my main room, I ask her to play Wii Sports, as she likes that. Wii is fun, in a limited sense, but not a platform you want if you want to play hardcore shooter, or sporting simulation games. Wii, very cutesy.

Your argument still doesn't carry any water. You're just stating a personal preference. There is no technical reason Civ Revolution couldn't be developed for the Wii. My personal feeling however is there's no reason Civ Revolution couldn't be developed for the PS2 as well. The graphics really aren't that great.

You are correct in that more shooters are released on the 360/PS3. That's more to do with audience and their specific subcultures. However, it's difficult to get over your thought that the Wii isn't for serious gaming. Shooters are a niche that serious gamers choose to play, yet there are many other genres that serious gamers play.

As for sport games on the Wii, 2K8 Baseball is on sale beginning today. And, NCAA Football 2008 is set for release in August. There is a reason why these games are moving back to Nintendo.

As for sport games on the Wii, 2K8 Baseball is on sale beginning today. And, NCAA Football 2008 is set for release in August. There is a reason why these games are moving back to Nintendo.

.. because the Wii is selling very well obviously. However, do you think that the Wii will outsell the 360 in these gaming categories? What do you think the average games sold per console is? There are many reasons for this. Hey, I'm not the only one with this view, its commonly held within console gaming. You'll see many other opinions like the one below.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/07/22/nintendo-wii-not-in-console-war-with-xbox-360-and-ps3/

There is no technical reason Civ Revolution couldn't be developed for the Wii. My personal feeling however is there's no reason Civ Revolution couldn't be developed for the PS2 as well. The graphics really aren't that great.

Read: I never stated what you are claiming I did. I never stated that there wasn't a technical reason for it being developed for the Wii. I lashed out for those who selected 'Wii' for the original question, being what console would people want to play/see CivR on.

If you have just a Wii, then I understand why you want to see/play it on the Wii. But if you have a Wii and another console 360/PS3, or you are buying a console to play it on, the obvious clear choice would not be the Wii.

.. because the Wii is selling very well obviously. However, do you think that the Wii will outsell the 360 in these gaming categories? What do you think the average games sold per console is? There are many reasons for this. Hey, I'm not the only one with this view, its commonly held within console gaming. You'll see many other opinions like the one below.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/07/22/nintendo-wii-not-in-console-war-with-xbox-360-and-ps3/

So, it's not because serious gamers bought a Wii? I don't think it's children and women buying those sport games.

Really. Yes there is a market for these no matter how small the sales number will relatively to be to the same games on the 360/PS3. But if your a serious gamer, you most likely are either buying a PS3/360, or a gaming PC, and not a Wii. Not to say that ALL serious gamers are buying non-wii/PCs, but seriously.

Why don't you do an internet search on the subject. I wonder what you will find. NOT

At the risk of being kicked out of htis forum, you are an idiot. Per capita, I'd say only 1 out of 100 forumers here are idiots. Under your logic, forumers here are idiots.

At the risk of being kicked out of htis forum, you are an idiot. Per capita, I'd say only 1 out of 100 forumers here are idiots. Under your logic, forumers here are idiots.

Ouch. :(

Don't be so thin-skinned.

I just disagree with your generalization.

Ouch. :(

Don't be so thin-skinned.

I just disagree with your generalization.

Its either:

1) you are trying to hit my breaking point by purposely being obtuse
2) you actually have no clue about the console market and you either just have a WII and love it to death beyond reasoning, or just a PCer with no console knowledge either = and making resulting comments on it.

My generalization is correct, though not 100% appicable. But I am talking about the industry as a whole, which is very obvious, and not small immateral pockets who are die hard WII folks. IF you had both as well, you wouldn't be so 'thick' skulled.

Its either:

1) you are trying to hit my breaking point by purposely being obtuse
2) you actually have no clue about the console market and you either just have a WII and love it to death beyond reasoning, or just a PCer with no console knowledge either = and making resulting comments on it.

My generalization is correct, though not 100% appicable. But I am talking about the industry as a whole, which is very obvious, and not small immateral pockets who are die hard WII folks. IF you had both as well, you wouldn't be so 'thick' skulled.

I'm a serious gamer. Because I don't covet shooters, doesn't make me a non-serious gamer. Does "hardcore" equate shooters?

I only own a Wii, as well as a DS and a computer.

Therefore, serious gamers are attracted to the Wii. Perhaps I strayed from your point, but I thought it was that serious gamers only move toward the 360 and PS3 and that the Wii is not a serious gaming console. You also cited sport games as an indicator. In turn, I pointed out two sport titles, that are considered popular by serious sport gaming enthusiasts, that are already on the Wii or coming soon.

I've searched many links, and I see that the Wii and it's software are doing quite well compared to the 360 and PS3. I understand that there are folks who have a 360/Wii or PS3/Wii. I assume they do because of the multiple shooters available on the other two.

I can afford a 360 + a PS3. I don't dislike either of them.

What am I missing?

Wow, 2 sports titles you mentioned are 'coming' or already on the WII.
I fail 2 see your point. 2 you see mine?

Another indicator, go look at how many games sold per 360 vs Wii console? Do many WIIers get past the couple of games that use the wand or the guitar?

seem to be not the only one - try to find a board or blogger saying the opposite

http://boards.ign.com/rayman/b6180/151214542/p1/

or per CNET, hardly sounding like the gamer's choice

Conclusion: ... If you've been clamoring for an all-purpose next-generation multimedia box with blinding HD graphics, the Wii will be a disappointment. But Nintendo didn't intend to compete in that arena anyway: the Wii is focused squarely on delivering fun and innovative gameplay, leaving Sony and Microsoft to battle it out at the high end....

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/nintendo-wii/4505-10109_7-31355104.html

Conclusion: ... If you've been clamoring for an all-purpose next-generation multimedia box with blinding HD graphics, the Wii will be a disappointment.
By that criteria, the Xbox 360 isn't serious either, unless you have a big backlog of unwatched HD DVD's :lol:
But Nintendo didn't intend to compete in that arena anyway: the Wii is focused squarely on delivering fun and innovative gameplay, leaving Sony and Microsoft to battle it out at the high end....
Which makes the Wii a perfect target for Civ Revolution. Look at the leaders and advisors. They're all caricatures and the units are very cartoonish. Civ Revolution has been criticized by many as being too "kiddy" looking, which seems to match up with all you've said about the Wii.

For the record, I own a PS2, which I'll be replacing with a PS3 when I feel there's a good enough library of games to justify it, so don't try to make me out to be a Wii fanboy. All of this is academic though, since I just picked up my Nintendo DS so I can play Civ Rev on that :D

For the record, I own a PS2, which I'll be replacing with a PS3 when I feel there's a good enough library of games to justify it, so don't try to make me out to be a Wii fanboy. All of this is academic though, since I just picked up my Nintendo DS so I can play Civ Rev on that :D

Wii fanboy?

:mischief:

FYI - Media reports are that they are coming out with a blu ray player for the xbox 360 by as early as may, and later, a blu ray internal drive.

Doesn't matter for me though, I bought a panny blu ray b4 xmas. Plus, I doubt the HD external drive had the proper DTS and Dolby HD decoders.

I actually never called the Wii kiddy (more female friendly as its the only console except for a few games of MarioKart or Mario Party, that my wife enjoys playing), though I posted other bloggers opinion that stated such. Though the more popular games are kinda kiddy. The WII sports reminds me of the old NES days.

But for playing a long game of CivR (i always keep a game going long after a victory in the old CIV editions), I definately prefer my xbox controller than the WII's. Holding a rectangular block vs a better shaped controller for your hand, its no contest.

wow...I won't even bother trying to quote all your silly generalizations, WankIT.

I think I'm about as hardcore a gamer as you can get...and I own a Wii, 360, DS, and PC(and if you want to get into older systems, I have a PS2, PS1, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GB, GBA, Sega Genesis, Sega Game Gear, and almost bought a Dreamcast just for Skies of Arcadia until it was released on the Gamecube)...I think that for pure gaming, I'd pick the Wii to buy CivRev for(if it were coming out at the same time still). However, I likely would have gotten it for the 360 simply because I'm addicted to achievement points.

But to say that,
1) Anyone that would pick it for the Wii over the 360/PS3 is stupid and not a serious gamer
2) The Wii is not a system for serious gamers
3) Serious gamers are only serious gamers if they like a) shooters, b) sports games, and c)fighters
is to be extremely obtuse and ridiculous.

My responses are as follows:
1) The Wii is closer to the PC in terms of control scheme, and the PC is generally felt to have the best control scheme of any gaming system
2) If it isn't for serious gamers, then what do you call Metroid Prime 3(shooter, 90 metacritic rating), Resident Evil 4(shooter, 91 metacritic), Zack & Wiki(adventure, 87 metacritic, and best adventure GotY), Fire Emblem(strategy, 77 metacritic), Madden(sports, 81 and 76 metacritic, 07 called sports GotY over 360 and PS3 versions) Legend of Zelda(action/adventure, 95 metacritic), Mario Galaxy(adventure, 97 metacritic), Super Smash Brothers(fighting, 98 metacritic), No More Heroes(mature, bloody fighting/action, 84 metacritic), Guitar Hero 3(85 metacritic)? If those aren't for serious gamers, what is?
3) So strategy gamers aren't serious gamers? adventure game lovers aren't serious? And even if shooters/sports/fighting are the only genres that matter for serious gamers...what do you say to Metroid Prime 3, considered to have the best control scheme of any console shooter ever? or Madden 07 winning Game of the Year for the Wii, beating out the 360 and PS3 versions? or Resident Evil 4, selling over 1M copies on the Wii, over 18 months after its original release, and not available on the 360 or PS3? or the fact that Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, FIFA, MLB, and NBA are all coming to the Wii after ignoring the Gamecube for the last 2-3 years? or Super Smash Brothers, possibly the best fighting game ever(certainly the highest reviewed thus far)?

I find it highly ignorant, cocky, and ridiculous to claim what you have, especially since the consensus in the US appears to be that the Wii is just as serious a gaming machine as the 360(considering it has outsold the 360 every single month since its release, and is currently entirely sold out for its record breaking 64rd week in a row).

Yes, more games have been bought per system sold for the 360 than the Wii since launch, but that's for a few reasons...1) the 360 has more games and many good games at reduced prices due to being out longer, and 2) the Wii comes bundled with a game, while the 360 only did during the holidays.

If I recall, the 360 currently has an average of 7 games per system, while the Wii is at around 3(4 if you count Wii Sports)...I beat out both those averages, with around 15 games on the 360 and 6 on the Wii. But considering the 360 has more than 2x more games out than the Wii does, and has been out twice as long, if it were truly a more 'serious' gaming machine, it should have more than just a 7:3 ratio of sold games compared to the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom