Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Hi guys!

im playing some MP games from time to time via Steams NQ group, but i really want to try out some GMR games.
Do you guys play usually public or private games? I think that in a GMR game leavers are even more annoying then in normal game. Can one trust the public games to have no leavers? (or at least only a few of them) :confused:

Could need some advice here! :)

thanks for your help

Public games there are always people leaving.. and you are right, it is very annoying. Even on private games though some people leave when they feel they can't win; however, I do not invite those people back! There are sometimes technical reasons why someone cannot continue as well though. I've learned to never join a game that has people with 0 points... those are typically the first to leave because often they are only allowed 2 games, so they bail to go join a different game.

How do you use the gmr service? I have downloaded the program for gmr and still couldn't use it.

There is a walkthrough on the main page. It's a little dated, but should still help you set it up so you can use it.

An extremely helpful improvement to GMR would be the ability to simply rate the sportsmanship of people you have played with.
I.e. How much did you enjoy playing this game with XXX? I did / I didn't / Who?

I've played in a fair few leagues over the years and the ones that thrive promote community and sportsmanship. Winning is it's own reward, it doesn't take anything to promote that, but having some other way of having accountability and establishing reputations for good or other play is fantastic.

I would love to see this. GMR is a fantastic way of playing Civ 5 and I think it has the potential to encourage a supportive community around the game even more than it already does.

Hi Rillithain, is it possible to take a GMR save offline, play it in SP mode for one turn, then upload the save again to keep it going as MP game?

http://www.multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Details/1697

The above game needs a religion mechanics called reformation, which enabled by researching a technology. But similar to Conquest of New World, the religion effect won't kick in for MP mode. Only SP mode will enable the religion effect.

Thank you very much for helping, GMR rocks!

I'm not entirely sure how it was done by NullMaster.. I'll ask him. I'm not sure if just uploading a single player game would work correctly..

NullMaster replied..

"Yeah, I just created the scenario as a regular Single Player game, then played two turns (or until the AI picked religions), and then I saved on my turn and uploaded that save file when creating a new "Scenario" game here on GMR. GMR then takes care of converting it to a HotSeat game for normal play."

NullMaster replied..

"Yeah, I just created the scenario as a regular Single Player game, then played two turns (or until the AI picked religions), and then I saved on my turn and uploaded that save file when creating a new "Scenario" game here on GMR. GMR then takes care of converting it to a HotSeat game for normal play."

Thank you Rillithain, that was for a fresh start game. In this case, the game has been played several turns by human players, could it be taken offline and play a SP mode then back to MP mode? Sounds very complicated:crazyeye:

I don't see why not.. once a game is uploaded, as long as it fits into the slots of when each person's turn is. It would mean though that while in single player mode the AIs would play the other players turns

edit - sorry for slow response.. i forget to check this thread often

@Rillithain
I don't think that one turn played by AI will make considerable harm to the gameplay. Whenever emerging Reformation religion will make the game more interesting with some twisted plot :)

so i'am currently playing a few GMR games but never ever let the AI take a turn for me due to skipping or vacation mode (i'm really afraid of the stupid AI decisions)

But since i will go to vacations eventually i'm really curious what will happen when the AI takes control.
If i manage my City working tiles manually and force them to all tiles i want, will the AI change that?
If i queue up some buildings/units in my citys will the AI also just switch to whatever building/unit it pleases?
Same goes for beeline a specific Tech. Is there a way to remain in controll or will the AI just change everything it wants?

so i'am currently playing a few GMR games but never ever let the AI take a turn for me due to skipping or vacation mode (i'm really afraid of the stupid AI decisions)

But since i will go to vacations eventually i'm really curious what will happen when the AI takes control.
If i manage my City working tiles manually and force them to all tiles i want, will the AI change that?
If i queue up some buildings/units in my citys will the AI also just switch to whatever building/unit it pleases?
Same goes for beeline a specific Tech. Is there a way to remain in controll or will the AI just change everything it wants?

Mostly yes to all your questions.

Anyone know of a Mac equivalent?

And please, no stupid comments about how I should not play Civ 5 on a Mac.

Anyone know of a Mac equivalent?

And please, no stupid comments about how I should not play Civ 5 on a Mac.

I think they've said something about the desktop app not working on a mac, but you can still download and upload the files manually via the site.

Sometimes i can't connect the gmr application and sometimes he doesn't work at all. It usually lasts a couple of hours and i don't really mind about this. But this time it has been almost 2 days without being able to play my turns :(

Is it only me?

Sometimes i can't connect the gmr application and sometimes he doesn't work at all. It usually lasts a couple of hours and i don't really mind about this. But this time it has been almost 2 days without being able to play my turns :(

Is it only me?

I can play no problem. Maybe you need an app update?

Top Bottom