Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Thanks for making this great program! Is there any way to resign from a game before your turn? I'm tired of two of these hanging out for days with no one taking a turn - in fact not even sure I've actually gotten to my turn on either one.

You're so welcome! I'm sorry that a couple of the games have kind of died. You surrender from a game at any time by going to it's details page. Just go to 'My Games' and click on the name of the game. You should then see a 'Surrender' button that will remove you from the game and replace you with AI.

So far the GMR experience has been an interesting one. It seems like large public games don't really work since all it takes is one player to stall the whole thing. However it could just be that some of these people were only jumping into games to see what the system was like and then they never came back. I've actually forced a couple people to surrender from "Civ Fanatics" and "Let's Play Civ V!" in an effort to get the game moving.

Perhaps as our community of players refines itself to those who are truly interested in playing this won't be a problem. But as it is now pre-designed games seem to be the ones that actually keep moving. :)

Great news! Thanks to an excellent suggestion from Grumalg we've devised a security measure that will prevent mischievous players from finding and using another player's password via the save file. We don't want to reveal too much information on how this works but let's just say that it makes it nearly impossible for someone to access another player's turn, and absolutely impossible for them to find out what password another player is using!

Please test it out! I challenge you to find anyone's password from save files this point forward :)

Good news about the passwords!

I got the error message on submitting a turn again, however it seems to be working fine in spite of that. I couldn't find the path you suggested on my machine, or even the file when I searched for it, which is why I haven't submitted the error reports.

Good news about the passwords!

I got the error message on submitting a turn again, however it seems to be working fine in spite of that. I couldn't find the path you suggested on my machine, or even the file when I searched for it, which is why I haven't submitted the error reports.

Oh dear, I'm glad that it worked but it is a little disconcerting that you still see an error message. The 'Application Data' folder in Windows XP is a hidden folder. So if you're trying to browse to it you'll need to show hidden files and folders. Maybe that would help :)

Do you mean that you can't enter your password when you try to take your turn?

I do not have a password - it was a blank password before. It won't let me take my turn - it is prompting for a password. It won't allow me to leave it blank.

Unforeseen consequences! I'm sure when Mel sees this, he'll reset your password for you. He changed mine when it contained a 'forbidden' character.

I had a thought. Can you change your password in the GMR app?

I've reproduced the issue you're seeing Islandia and am actively looking into fixing it! In the meantime if you'd like to try setting a password on the website that might resolve the issue. And no Onan, you can only change the password via the website. :)

Alright I believe I've fixed it. You will need to change your password on the website to anything, save it, and then change it back to being blank, and save it again.

That should clear it up! Sorry for the inconvenience :)

I've reproduced the issue you're seeing Islandia and am actively looking into fixing it! In the meantime if you'd like to try setting a password on the website that might resolve the issue. And no Onan, you can only change the password via the website. :)

Yeah, that's what I meant, just used the wrong word.

Alright I believe I've fixed it. You will need to change your password on the website to anything, save it, and then change it back to being blank, and save it again.

yes, then we can all see what you're doing! Or at least, the player before you could. ;)

Actually you can safely set your password to blank and no one will be able to see your turns when they get the save file due to our new security measure ;)

Actually you can safely set your password to blank and no one will be able to see your turns when they get the save file due to our new security measure ;)

Hey, now that's cool! :goodjob:

Finally submitted those error logs to your support address on the site. Hey, the turn counter/info looks good. One thing though: for those of us used to counting turns as full turns, it's a little misleading. For example, in our game, saying 58 turns played or so, most of us would equate that to most players being out of the ancient era and into the classical era...whereas for us it actually means game turn 7. Could you display the game turn as well? Cheers. It's neat being part of this and seeing suggestions being implemented. :)

I got your email Onan and I believe I've fixed the problem! :)

I like the idea of showing what the current game turn is on the website as you described and will add it as soon as I can. Thank you so much for the continued feedback! It's beta testers like you that are helping us make GMR a great service :)

Top Bottom