Revolution FAQ

Ah, thanks!

Another two questions, I'm afraid:

1.The 'start all civs as minor civs' option - does this make these tech rules for becoming a full civ applicable to all upcoming civs (i.e. formed from barbarians)?

2.If I were to customise my civ name, nationality and so on, would it affect the dynamic civ names mod?

1. Yes, all new civs including rebels and barb civs are subject to the tech constraint.

2. Right now, DynamicCivNames doesn't play nice with player specified civ names ... I'm working on making it notice if the player has picked a custom name and leaving it be.

1. Yes, all new civs including rebels and barb civs are subject to the tech constraint.

2. Right now, DynamicCivNames doesn't play nice with player specified civ names ... I'm working on making it notice if the player has picked a custom name and leaving it be.

Ah, thanks.

I don't think the DynamicCivNames should be disabled for custom civ names completely - rather, there should be an option to turn it off for the player (but still keep it for other civs). Not sure if it'd work, but it would be good, since it's sort of cool seeing your own civ name becoming a 'Holy Kingdom' or whatever.

Is there any way to reduce distant city modifier? I have a size 4 city (early game), only about 5-7 tiles away from my capital. I think courthouses might work, but that would require a large tech investment.

Gain more territory by either expanding your cultural borders or building more cities will help this city feel like it's not on the outskirts of your empire.

If you're empire is considered large (check the top of the details screen in RevWatch) then advancing to the next tech era will also help.

A courthouse will definitely work in the future but would come to late to help this city.

In terms of civics, if you can switch to Hereditary Rule you really should. Despotism has a higher distance cost.

Also, since the distance effect for this city will decrease with time and expansion you can opt to offset the distance effects for now. Keeping the city small/increasing happiness is a good option, garrisoning more troops there would also work (and also helps happiness under Hereditary Rule). Walls will increase the Revolution quelling effectiveness of your garrison. Spreading religion or increasing cultural output would also help.

This advice will generally still work for the next version (1.6) but I am changing the specifics of how this and other effects work ...

Does it matter that I am using the version that is combined with Dales combat mod and Influence driven war?

Is the current version of revolution BtS 3.17 compatible? A lot of other mods have been messed up by it, and I'm wondering whether a). This one is too and b). If so, when we can expect a BtS 3.17 compatible version.

Does it matter that I am using the version that is combined with Dales combat mod and Influence driven war?

Shouldn't.

Is the current version of revolution BtS 3.17 compatible? A lot of other mods have been messed up by it, and I'm wondering whether a). This one is too and b). If so, when we can expect a BtS 3.17 compatible version.

1.52 is not compatible, but 1.6 should be out pretty soon ... maybe tonight, certainly by the beginning of next week. Really depends on what's in the new patch plus I'm only part way through the local/national split so there are a few pieces to roll back for a quick release. They really sprang 3.17 on us with no warning at all.

Sounds good.
3.17 was certainly a shock - first I knew of it was the civfanatics news page this morning.

I'd rather you take the time to give us everything you want to give in 1.6 AND update to 3.17.

Sorry - unnecessary question.

Ive posted in another location just in case this thread is dead

So depressed : (

trying to get revolution to work but dont know how

Jdog or any1 else - You have probably heard this already but how exactly do i modify and turn the components on and off - if someone could give me directins - i.e where the revolution ini( is that the options on / off file) file is ... because right now i have no luck finding it...

btw ur mod is awesome... i played it on Rise of mankind... but got too complex so i just wanted it wiht plain ole bts...can this mod be combined with BUG?

If anyone can help it would be a huuuge godsend

cheers

You should find the Revolution options at the bottom of the options list in the Custom game screen. Once you set them up once, Civ will cache your selections but this only works if you always play with Revolution ... whenever switching mods you should use Custom Game and check the full option list.

Hi ,

I have this MOD running combined with Wolfshanze.

So I am using the WolfRevolution Mod all is just great , but a quick questions is there a description on each of the options especially the turned off ones by default.

Reason is I think I might want to change a few but I cannot find a detailed description on what they do.

I know most of them give a good common sense suggestion but I would like to know more info. I don't want to unbalance what is now my default game .

There isn't a comprehensive, thorough explanation for the options ... you can try doing a search for particular option string you're looking for in the forum, it may have come up before. Turning on things which default to off is a mixed bag, some are old features that have fallen out of favor but I highly recommend start as minors ... try it once at least, the early game will never feel the same again.

Hi ,

I have this MOD running combined with Wolfshanze.

So I am using the WolfRevolution Mod all is just great ,

Jdog see how cool Revolutions are. Not only do you have people merging your mod. But you have people merging, the merge of your mod.

You should try WolfRevolution too jdog, I bet it gives you ideas.

After starting the mod I don't see an interface. What can I do?

If you are running the BUG mod or have other files in your \My Games\BTS\Custom Assets\ folder, this is most certainly the culprit. Rename this folder or move the contents if you wish to keep it for use in Vanilla games. Files in these folders will replace the files used by the mod and cause problems.

For the old Warlords version of the mod, you can also see the posts by b3virq3b starting here.

I downloaded the old warlords version, and the solution provided (replace the python file) doesn't work. I also tried to delete my cache, but, uh... there wasn't one as far as I could tell. Not sure what that's supposed to mean; at any rate, I have several other mods working so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem

EDIT TO ADD: I figured out the problem is that I'm running Civ: Gold, and that has a different registry key. Here's the proper CVpath.py for people with gold (only change from b3's is the addition of the world 'Gold' to the registry path)

Spoiler :
## Copyright (c) 2006, Gillmer J. Derge.

## This file is part of Civilization IV Alerts mod.
##
## Civilization IV Alerts mod is free software; you can redistribute
## it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
## License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
## version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
##
## Civilization IV Alerts mod is distributed in the hope that it will
## be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
## warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
## See the GNU General Public License for more details.
##
## You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
## along with Civilization IV Alerts mod; if not, write to the Free
## Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
## 02110-1301 USA

__version__ = "$Revision$"
# $Source$

"""Implements a collection of utility methods and variables for determining
the location of Civilization 4 components.

The following variables are exposed.

* activeModName: the name of the currently active mod or None if no mod has
been loaded.

NOTE: activeModName does not currently work in a completely automated
fashion. There does not appear to be a way to determine the active mod
programmatically from Python code. A mod that wishes to export its name
to this module must create a Python module called CvModName that contains
a string variable named modName set to the name of the mod. A sample
CvModName is shown below.

# CvModName.py
modName = "American Revolution"

Of course, a CvModName Python module should only be used if the mod is
indeed installed in the Mods directory, not when it is installed in
CustomAssets. Furthermore, if the value of the modName variable does not
correctly match the mod directory name, the path variables will not be
set properly.

* userDir: the user's Civilization 4 directory, typically
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

* userAssetsDir: <userDir>\CustomAssets

* userModsDir: <userDir>\Mods

* userActiveModDir: <userDir>\Mods\<activeModName>

* userActiveModAssetsDir: <userDir>\Mods\<activeModName>\Assets

* installDir: the Civilization 4 installation directory, typically
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

* installAssetsDir: <installDir>\Assets

* installModsDir: <installDir>\Mods

* installActiveModDir: <installDir>\Mods\<activeModName>

* installActiveModAssetsDir: <installDir>\Mods\<activeModName>\Assets

* assetsPath: a list containing all Assets directories that appear on the
game's load paths. Typically [userAssetsDir, installAssetsDir] or
[userActiveModAssetsDir, installActiveModAssetsDir, userAssetsDir, installAssetsDir]

* pythonPath: a list containing all directories that appear on the
game's Python load path. The game's Python module loader does not support
Python packages, so this list includes not only the Python subdirectory
of each element of the assetsPath but also all non-empty subdirectories.

"""

import os
import os.path
import _winreg

def __getRegValue(root, subkey, name):
key = _winreg.OpenKey(root, subkey)
try:
value = _winreg.QueryValueEx(key, name)
return value[0]
finally:
key.Close()

def _getUserDir():
myDocuments = __getRegValue(_winreg.HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
r"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders",
"Personal")
civ4Dir = os.path.basename(_getInstallDir())
return os.path.join(os.path.join(myDocuments, "My Games"), civ4Dir)

def _getInstallDir():
return __getRegValue(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
r"Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold",
"INSTALLDIR") + r"\Warlords"

activeModName = None
try:
import CvModName
activeModName = CvModName.modName
except:
pass

userDir = _getUserDir()

userAssetsDir = os.path.join(userDir, "CustomAssets")

userModsDir = os.path.join(userDir, "Mods")

userActiveModDir = None

userActiveModAssetsDir = None

installDir = _getInstallDir()

installAssetsDir = os.path.join(installDir, "Assets")

installModsDir = os.path.join(installDir, "Mods")

installActiveModDir = None

installActiveModAssetsDir = None

assetsPath = [userAssetsDir, installAssetsDir]

if (activeModName != None):
userActiveModDir = os.path.join(userModsDir, activeModName)
userActiveModAssetsDir = os.path.join(userActiveModDir, "Assets")
installActiveModDir = os.path.join(installModsDir, activeModName)
installActiveModAssetsDir = os.path.join(installActiveModDir, "Assets")
assetsPath.insert(0, userActiveModAssetsDir)
assetsPath.insert(1, installActiveModAssetsDir)

pythonPath = []
for dir in [os.path.join(d, "Python") for d in assetsPath]:
for root, subdirs, files in os.walk(dir):
if (len(files) > 0):
pythonPath.append(root)

def _test():
print "activeModName = " + str(activeModName)
print "userDir = " + userDir
print "userAssetsDir = " + userAssetsDir
print "userModsDir = " + userModsDir
print "userActiveModDir = " + str(userActiveModDir)
print "userActiveModAssetsDir = " + str(userActiveModAssetsDir)
print "installDir = " + installDir
print "installAssetsDir = " + installAssetsDir
print "installModsDir = " + installModsDir
print "installActiveModDir = " + str(installActiveModDir)
print "installActiveModAssetsDir = " + str(installActiveModAssetsDir)
print "assetsPath = "
for dir in assetsPath:
print " " + dir
print "pythonPath = "
for dir in pythonPath:
print " " + dir

if __name__ == "__main__":
_test()

Where can I get the latest version of Revolution?

There are two versions of Revolution:

- RevolutionDCM: This is the development version, where all new changes and tweaks to Revolution will happen. It also includes a number of other configurable pieces, including the BUG interface improvements, Dale's Combat Mod, and Influence Driven War. RevolutionDCM is intended to be both fun and deep on its own with lots of interesting new gameplay, while also a good foundation for other mods which seek to mainly add new content like civs or units. You can find the mod in the download section here at CFC or check out its forum thread. The source code for RevolutionDCM, in case you want to merge it with another DLL mod, is available on sourceforge.

- Standalone: This is just the Revolution mod with no extra pieces. It is very stable and fun to play, but no longer under active development. You can get the latest standalone version here on CFC from the Downloads thread. If you are a modder and looking to merge Revolution in to something else, then you may also want the source code for the DLL.

Top Bottom