Download link and version info

Nice stuff :D Would it be possible (see the module I made with C.Roland, Charles Quint) to prevent the game from having multiple of the same leaders for two different civs, who just happen to able to select the same leader? Or... even cooler! They could form a single team when this happens.

Can anyone one point me to merging guide? I am trying to merge this one with Wolfz WWI units and techs and I have no idea how. The only file the two mods have in common is the game core. Thanks all!

For a DLL merge, you will probably have to combine the source code and recompile the DLL. It depends on what changes Wolfz has made in the DLL ... if there are new fields in the XML files for units or techs, then a merge is necessary. If Wolfz just increased the civ could or put it out with Bhurics patch, then you can just use the Revolution DLL.

If merging C++ source code and recompiling the DLL is new to you, there are quite a few threads out there to get you started ... search for either CodeBlocks or Microsoft Visual Studio Express (I use this one) for instructions on how to work with the SDK. After that, there shouldn't be any code conflicts so a program like WinMerge can make it fairly easy to combine the source code to create a combo DLL.

Hope that helps get you started ...

Updated to version 1.3, with the biggest change being that BarbarianCiv now spawns one city minor civs first, then settles them down into full civs when they accomplish something good.

Quite a few other changes, check out the full list in the second post.

It is recommended that you start a new game with this version if the map for your current game is not full already. I think this version will be save compatible with 1.26 but the big change in BarbCiv functionality and in barbarian spawning in general mean you'll get a more consistent experience starting from scratch.

Looks sweet, I'll need to take a closer, in-depth look at it and test it out, but looks very useful.

I have a request:

Can you put (maybe a spoiler in the first post) a list of EVERYTHING this mod adds and changes, including new commands exposed to python, etc? You have a version changelist, but I'm looking for a master list of everything different in this mod than from vanilla. I want to know what new functionality I'll have with this mod, how the game is changed, what new goodies are available, etc.

:)

I think all the info in the Welcome to Revolution thread might be part of what you're looking for ... presented in paragraphs, not bullet points but with changes of this kind I think explanation is important.

As for what fellow modders might be able to use from the DLL, I need to recompile that list ... there's an old text doc in the download on what's in the SDK, but it's sorely out of date.

Beginning
Created by Roamty, combines many mods together including Revolution. Check it out here.

Hi, my compliments for this superb mod, i'm playing your mod in Beginning but i cannot find the revolution.ini to decrease the number of maximum civs (i think 25 would be the best for my pc!).
Thanks for the help

Version 1.31bts has been posted. This is a major bugfix release to clean up some issues with the new minor civ mechanisms in BarbarianCiv. You'll now see the minor civs at the bottom of the scoreboard and stuff like that too.

Should be savegame compatible with 1.3, but it won't retroactively fix some of the errors from minor civ setup from 1.3 ... none are crash causing or particularly bad, just inappropriate contacts available between former minor civs and things like that.

Check out the full change list in the second post.

Not sure if you're aware of this, or simply haven't gotten around to it yet, but the 48-civ .dll download link is broken.

Just a heads up. :)

Question about the 48 civ dll:

Do I need exactly 48 or more civs in order to use it, or if I added a few civs but still less than 48, would it hurt the game (i.e. if I have 40 civs, if 40 civs are currently in the game, will it crash trying to search for the 41st civ if a revolution occurs, or will it recognize that there are no more useable civs?)

Should work fine, it will search for a new civ type and determine there isn't a possible one and spawn Barbs. That said, it's not something I've tested much ...

If you want to use a premade map, then the number of player slots defined by the map must match the DLL. There's no need for the number of civ types in XML to match the number of player slots in the DLL.

Is it possible to configure the mod that it always spawns barbs, instead of civs? Or that the minor civs stay minor?

To always spawn barbs in rebellions, set MaxCivs in the Revolution section of the .ini to 1.

There is currently no way to keep all minor civs created by BarbarianCiv as minors forever. I could easily add that if it'd be of use.

The current version (1.31 and earlier for that matter) will not effect minor civs that are defined by a scenario, only those created by BarbCiv, in case that's what you're thinking about. The next version, because of a new feature to start all civs as minors until they discover Writing, there'll be a safe list for civs not to change the minor status of which you could add to for scenarios.

There is currently no way to keep all minor civs created by BarbarianCiv as minors forever. I could easily add that if it'd be of use.

Any chance you could set it as a percent, where 0 would mean no minor civ turns into a full blown civ and 1 would mean all barbarian civs are capable of turning into a full civ? That way, someone could set it at .95 or something for the off-chance that a barb civ can't become major. And perhaps the same thing for a barbarian city turning into a minor civ, so there'd be the option to allow some player-defined % of barbarian cities to remain barbarian until conquered (That way, you're not guaranteed a civ spawn, so the player has to make a gamble whether to let that barb city near his borders go unchecked). I plan on drastically increasing barbarian city appearance and I'd very much like to allow some to stay barbarian, so that there'd be a near-even mix of "old" civs, barb minor/full civs, and barbarian cities.

Also, I was thinking maybe an option that requires a minor civ to have contact with, say, 2-4 or more civs in order to achieve full civ status? That way some old world barb civs who may be on the fringes of civilization will remain "barbaric" until contact with enough civs.

The next version, because of a new feature to start all civs as minors until they discover Writing, there'll be a safe list for civs not to change the minor status of which you could add to for scenarios.

Will this 'safe list' also apply to the rebels? What I want, is that when there is a split-off with a rebel civ, the rebel civ remains minor forever (and also does not have their own split-offs).

Will this 'safe list' also apply to the rebels? What I want, is that when there is a split-off with a rebel civ, the rebel civ remains minor forever (and also does not have their own split-offs).

Currently (as far as I know) minor civs only emerge from barbarian cities, so a rebellion will spawn a full civ (unless you set it so only spawn barbs).

Key word being "currently" ... the next version will allow revolts in minor civ territory, and yes they will spawn minor civs. I'll make it so that if the motherland is on the safe list, the rebel will be as well.

For your previous question, I can definitely make it so there's a minimum number of contacts for settling into a full civ. Seems sensible, if you're all alone then there's less impetus to pull together.

As for achieving a desired full/minor/barb split in terms of cities, there are lots of ways it could be done. I'd think the most natural way would be to raise the bar on what's necessary to make the transition to the next stage ... there's already MinPopulation setting for barb cities to have a chance to go minor (set at 2 now). Raise that to 4 and you'd see many more barb cities hang around until captured. I'll make sure the odds of settling when the city is at the MinPop are the same no matter what the value is so that things scale well.

Then, for the minor -> full transition, it's a little less obvious how to go. You could raise the bar needed to transition for the different achievement types I suppose. Adding the number of contacts variable will help a bit, as would increasing the MinorHalfLife variable (though it only applies in the new world). I could also make the half-life effect old world barb civs too ...

A % based system like you were suggesting just seems artificial to me ... it'd certainly be possible to say that, if less than 10% of world cities are barb cities, then none will form minors. Similarly, if less than 20% of all cities are in the hands of minors, don't settle. It just seems like you'd want those percentages to drop over time, and that's effectively what you'd get by slowing down the transitions.

Top Bottom