Tectonics

Hi. I havn't done anything so far as i haven't found (nor had much time to search for) why this map (and several other custom scripts) get weird visual glitches (such as mountains looking like plains, and the other way around).

I have attached a zip of the "mod" i use when i want to play this map. Just unzip it in your CiV mods folder (should be "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS) and it should show up in the Mod selector. Actually, all i added is the "Tectonics_MS (v 1).modinfo" file, the Lua script itself is still untouched.
Unfortunately, it won't work for MP as long as Firaxis doesn't allow mods for MP games :spank: . A possible work-around would be to generate a map by starting a solo game, save the map from the save menu, and use this map as a pre-generated map for MP.

EDIT : Occasionally i get a non-playable map (turn 0 loss). I just start another game and it works.

Hi Bob,
How do you load a pre generated map for MP?

There's one glitch with all maps where mountains don't look like mountains on the 3D map (but are correct on the strategic view). If the mountain is on the x=0 row, then it doesn't display correctly if I remember right. A very basic error in the 3D rendering which no amount of map scripting can fix for the data is correct but the map painting code is bugged. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.

And visa versa. Sometimes flatland on the edge displays as a mountain. It also makes similar mistakes with hills. It's too bad because this map and PerfectWorld3 are so much more interesting than the base maps (but I'm a geography geek...).

I suspect something in the graphics rendering code is making an arithmetic mistake on edge-case plots and grabbing topo info from the wrong plot. I believe the feature is always correct. So often you see a forest or jungle (or marsh???) on a mountain (where the feature is correct but the topo isn't). Strange that it only affects mod map scripts and not base.

If someone else is modding this mapscript now, I'd suggest throwing meteors at the map edge until they are all sea tiles. Won't have any continents spanning the map edge, but that's not a big deal.

Strange that it only affects mod map scripts and not base.
Actually it also affects hand-made maps (if you use the world builder).

It would be possible to force the x=0 line to always be water but that doesn't work well with Pangaeas.

Well, you could find the x column with the most water tiles (or use some more sophisticated approach) to find a major "longitudinal" ocean. Then x-shift everything to put that on the edge. Then throw meteors at any remaining land on the edge.

I agree it's not perfect. But I'd prefer it to encountering the "illusory terrain", which for me always forces a restart if near my start plot. And it has the advantage of making the map more "Earth-like" with the edge not cutting through a continent (a minor aesthetic point, but still something that bothers me).

(Just putting out ideas. I'm a bit busy with my mod right now...)

Is that why I never see the "illusory terrain" bug in the base Continents map? The bug is there but x=0 is never land?

That doesn't seem right to me. I'm sure I've seen some land spanning the x-wrap in many (if not most) maps. But again I've never seen this bug in base, though I very frequently (= almost always) see it in a Tectonics or PerfectWorld3 map.

(Mind you, I'm not blaming the map scripts. I think it is a Civ5 bug that only affects map scripts for some reason. Hence the proposed workaround.)

I'm sure I've seen some land spanning the x-wrap in many (if not most) maps.

Don't forget that true X-wrap is different from the apparent X-wrap displayed in the mini-map (as the latter is centered on the players start position and not the centre of the map)

While messing around with a customized version of Perfect Worlds 3, I was able to figure out the two primary causes for tiles with bad graphics. Either, this script places a plot on top of another plot without the recalc flag set to true, or, it places a plot within 2 columns of the map seam, and then something (resource placement usually) comes back and changes it. The function to recalc plots and update graphics [Map.RecalculateAreas()] doesn't update graphics properly if within 2 tiles of the seam.

I found that modifying the xShift part of FractalWorlds.lua to find the wettest 4 columns and line them up on the seam worked wonders by itself. On top of that, I modified the land placement function so that it would only ever plot flat land on these four columns as well. This prevents issues where you place a hill in the middle of an ocean, and then the resource generator decides to come back and plot a resource on it that requires flat land (Incense for example).

I posted my fix over in the Perfect World thread and you're more than welcome to adapt my modified PlotMap and ShiftMap classes.

Thanks for the notice.
I don't mind the name conflict. I no longer support this as I dislike Civ V too much.

Hi, could anyone how to install this mod for Brave New World please? I have paste the lua file in maps and in MODS, but it doesn't appear in the mod browser.

I have noticed that other mods have an .xml file and a .modinfo, but this is only a .lua file...

Pls help.

I can't remember, but I think the version I put on modbuddy had a modinfo file?
I no longer launch civ V so I'm afraid I won't be much help.

Hi, could anyone how to install this mod for Brave New World please? I have paste the lua file in maps and in MODS, but it doesn't appear in the mod browser.

I have noticed that other mods have an .xml file and a .modinfo, but this is only a .lua file...

Pls help.

If you pasted the lua file into your Maps folder you don't need to select it as a "mod" - you just select the map in the Advanced Setup screen at game start (even in unmodded games).:)

If you pasted the lua file into your Maps folder you don't need to select it as a "mod" - you just select the map in the Advanced Setup screen at game start (even in unmodded games).:)

This does not seem to work. The newest version of this map script contains only the file "tectonic_map_script_v_4.civ5mod".
Does this mean that the new version is ONLY playable as a mod?

edit: Nevermind, I see this is made by a different author. My apologies.

This does not seem to work. The newest version of this map script contains only the file "tectonic_map_script_v_4.civ5mod".
Does this mean that the new version is ONLY playable as a mod?

edit: Nevermind, I see this is made by a different author. My apologies.

.civ5mod files are simply archives. Even programs such as 7zip can open them and extract their contents. You can either extract them using the mod browser or manually. Either way, there should be a .lua file contained within the archive and it is what should go in the \Maps\ directory if you're wanting to play any mapscript in Singleplayer without mods or even in Pitboss Multiplayer.

.civ5mod files are simply archives. Even programs such as 7zip can open them and extract their contents. You can either extract them using the mod browser or manually. Either way, there should be a .lua file contained within the archive and it is what should go in the \Maps\ directory if you're wanting to play any mapscript in Singleplayer without mods or even in Pitboss Multiplayer.

Thank you! That worked.

So... No solution to the world wrap / mountain glitch problem? Here is my thread about it which I made just minutes ago (then stumbled into this thread): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=509741

I'm a bit amazed that this isn't posted about more often... I only play in Strategic View, but if you prefer the normal view, you'd think this issue'd come up pretty often. I guess on most world maps the world wrap hits the Pacific Ocean so that the glitch is 'masked' (i.e. the glitch is still present but water is water so it's not visible). Unfortunately not the case on my map where the oceans are greatly cut down for gameplay purposes.

Top Bottom