how to beat aztecs

shanemcain

Chieftain
I play as the japanese but my friend always beats me with the aztecs. What are some good strategies to defeat the aztecs? Thanks for the help

I play almost exclusively with the Aztecs and best I can tell, building up a strong defense and focusing on getting one step ahead of them technologically is your best bet. I know the few times I've been taken by suprise is while being way too focused on building units, falling behind in tech, and finding my warriors, archers, legions and horsemen suddenly facing off with Knight armies... The heal-after-victory ability doesn't do much good when you can't win a battle to save your life. : )

Yeah, I'm playing through all of them but the Aztecs are still my favorite because of that heal. Tech is the only chance. They can defend a city one archer army against waves of just about anything that isn't a rifle because of that healing perk. You have to beat them in one shot, so that means bringing in something that blows up real good. If you can keep that tech lead going, you can always stay one step ahead of what they can stand up to.

Maybe it's just been my experiences but...

I've found it pretty easily when playing as the aztecs to keep tech parity (or even a slight lead) early going because of the +3 science for each temple built bonus. I generally tend to build temples in most of my cities regardless of the civ I'm playing to help prevent culture flips, so getting the +3 science in each city is really nice and helps in the early going.

Maybe that's just my experience though, I've only played the Aztecs a few times.

Right, which is part of why it's so difficult to beat them. Since they can rely on fewer armies to defend their cities, they can focus a lot more on buildings, wonders and tech. If you don't get a lead fast and then kill them fast, you're not going to stop them. Especially once they get the 50% gold production perk and can rush anything they need or haven't built yet.

this is all why they're my civ of choice

Well, with all due respect, are you sure it's not your friend you can't beat, and not the Aztecs? Because maybe your friend just uses a better strategy in the game than you.

Top Bottom