Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

On the diplomacy screen we see a negative relations score for trading with a civs worst enemy.

Obviously the AI can see who I am trading with.

Question: How do I see the current trading between the various rival AIs ?

I don't think this is possible, which is grossly unfair.

It would be useful to see inter civ trading.

Eg. A rival civ does not have its own aluminium, but is getting this resource from an AI civ enabling it to build a space ship part quicker than normal.

In this case I would want to know who is supplying the aluminium and then use a spy to sabotage that resource.

If they can see who I trade with then I should be able to see who they trade with.

Am I missing something ???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Question about Battle of Asia mod.
I've installed 1.52 patch. After that in PublicMaps folder map "Battle for East Asia" is appeared. But when i tried to load it, the game says that Mod Battle for East Asia not found.

Where i can get this mod?

In Civ 3 on the Military Advisor screen you used to be able to just right click on any unit in there and as long as it was in a city with a barracks you could choose to upgrade the unit. I can't seem to find a way to upgrade units without going into each specific city and selecting each unit. Is there a way to mass upgrade a unit type? Say all my old Archers to Longbowman?

Is there any way to find out which civs and cities are building wonders? There's little point in my starting a wonder if someone else is halfway done with it. In Civ3, the F7 showed the location of all existing and under construction wonders.

On a similar topic: Is there any way to see the city screen of an AI civ? In Civ2 and Civ3 you could do this although it wasn't free.

gunkulator said:
On a similar topic: Is there any way to see the city screen of an AI civ? In Civ2 and Civ3 you could do this although it wasn't free.

Have the holy city of a religion represented in that city, or park a spy there.

Does capturing a capital still eliminate a spaceship? I took Timbuktu and about six other Malinese cities and their spaceship parts were still listed on that screen. Is there another way?

It would be sweet if you could manage terrain like in Alpha Centauri; extend landmass, shrink landmass, remove hills etc.

That's a good idea, then you could impose economic sanctions by demanding the trade stops. You could display all resources, ask leaders what they think of other leaders and make an assumption on who they are trading with based on cozy responses.

Myxer said:
In Civ 3 on the Military Advisor screen you used to be able to just right click on any unit in there and as long as it was in a city with a barracks you could choose to upgrade the unit. I can't seem to find a way to upgrade units without going into each specific city and selecting each unit. Is there a way to mass upgrade a unit type? Say all my old Archers to Longbowman?

A qualified yes...

You can
  • Find any unit of the type you wish to upgrade and locate the upgrade button in the bar at bottom of screen (with the image of the more modern unit).
  • Hold down ALT when pressing the upgrade button and it will attempt to upgrade all units it can to that more modern unit.
Now the gotchas...
  • "...upgrade all units it can..." means just what it says. Not just all units of the type you selected, but all units everywhere that can upgrade to the more modern unit.
  • "...it will attempt to upgrade..." also means just what it says. This can get very expensive. An upgrade is expensive, you won't believe how much 20, 30 or more upgrades at once can cost. Oh, and if you don't have enough money it doesn't stop or prompt you it simply upgrades a random set of units until you have no money left for more, and there is no guarantee that the unit you originally selected will be part of the subset that does get upgraded!

So, there you go...a qualified yes.

Is there a way to place bombers / helicopters on carriers or have more than three aircraft on a carrier, you should be able to have massive carrier airpower to spearhead invasions like WW2 pacific battles. Submarines and destroyers should also be able to launch cruise missles/nukes. They should actually have missle subs like the typhoon and attack subs like the los angeles class so you can have cold war cat and mouse games with opponents, park some missle subs off of someones coast without them being seen until detected by attack subs or ASW helicopters. Something along those lines. Maybe be able to lay down sonar nets or sonar bouys as a cheap detection system instead of having a net of ships off your coast to detect invasions or spy subs.

Hi all,

I've read a lot of articles and posts here, but cant find the answer to this:

How does the AI manage to capture territory without building a city with a settler? And I do not mean that their borders expanded, just a blotch of territory appears without a city on it not connected to their original land.

I was racing to get some resources, but by the time my settler got there, there was a blotch of territory that belonged to an AI civ and nothing built on it! How do they do it??? Thanks!

Teeps said:
I was racing to get some resources, but by the time my settler got there, there was a blotch of territory that belonged to an AI civ and nothing built on it! How do they do it??? Thanks!

It's part of the territory of one of their cities. If you don't revisit a space, you don't see when the opponent's territory expands to cover it. So, it's entirely possible to see a disconnected area controlled by an opponent. It's really connected to their city by controlled territory, but you don't see that territory as controlled because you don't have a current view of it.

DaviddesJ said:
It's part of the territory of one of their cities. If you don't revisit a space, you don't see when the opponent's territory expands to cover it. So, it's entirely possible to see a disconnected area controlled by an opponent. It's really connected to their city by controlled territory, but you don't see that territory as controlled because you don't have a current view of it.

So what you're saying is that there is a city on that territory, but it is not visible to me eventhough I have explored the whole territory? When does the city appear then?

I have another case of this that happened on a small island. I built a city on it, then a turn later there was some enemy territory with no buildings on it.

Schneids said:
Is there a way to place bombers / helicopters on carriers or have more than three aircraft on a carrier

Not without modding. Helicopters are land units, and "bombers" are strategic heavy bombers, as in B17s. The carrier limit (and whether they can carry heavy bombers) should be relatively easily adjustable in the mod function.

Schneids said:
you should be able to have massive carrier airpower to spearhead invasions like WW2 pacific battles. Submarines and destroyers should also be able to launch cruise missles/nukes. They should actually have missle subs like the typhoon and attack subs like the los angeles class so you can have cold war cat and mouse games with opponents, park some missle subs off of someones coast without them being seen until detected by attack subs or ASW helicopters. Something along those lines. Maybe be able to lay down sonar nets or sonar bouys as a cheap detection system instead of having a net of ships off your coast to detect invasions or spy subs.

I bet there's a very popular thread somewhere about how Civ4 should be. If not, start one and I promise to contribute, they'll be starting work on the obligatory expansion any day now. As for Pacific War battles and cruise missiles from subs . . . I hope you didn't throw away Civ3.

Teeps said:
So what you're saying is that there is a city on that territory, but it is not visible to me eventhough I have explored the whole territory? When does the city appear then?

I have another case of this that happened on a small island. I built a city on it, then a turn later there was some enemy territory with no buildings on it.

The city appears when you have moved a unit within sight of the city. Having scoped out its tile before the city was built doesn't count, for obvious reasons.

a4phantom said:
The city appears when you have moved a unit within sight of the city. Having scoped out its tile before the city was built doesn't count, for obvious reasons.

Great, thanks man! Another question: Is there any use or negative effects with placing cottages/farms/etc outside of a city's fat cross (the 21 squares of the city)? I have some cottages that are connected to cities by roads but outside of its work range. They seem to be developing into towns anyway...

If this is okay, then I assume the closest city will get those resources? If yes, then what's the point of "working" tiles if I get the resources out of city's range anyway?

Hope I was clear, thanks...

Teeps said:
Great, thanks man! Another question: Is there any use or negative effects with placing cottages/farms/etc outside of a city's fat cross (the 21 squares of the city)? I have some cottages that are connected to cities by roads but outside of its work range. They seem to be developing into towns anyway...

If this is okay, then I assume the closest city will get those resources? If yes, then what's the point of "working" tiles if I get the resources out of city's range anyway?

Good question, wondered that myself. I think they're useless outside a city's cross, but that's wierd that they're developing. Maybe they have to be worked to produce gold, but they develop on their own? Just trying to give you a quick answer since we're on at the same time, someone who actually knows please settle it for us.

Obviously it's subject to circumstances, but are any civs or leaders or UUs or attributes emerging as the 'best'?

In dealing with the health affects of terrain, will the negative health due to flood plains dissappear with a farm on said floodplain? I have a city surrounded with 6 floodplains and several jungles, yet the negative affect is 2 due to "land features" or something vague like that. Is that one each for floodplains and jungle? When I cleared the jungle, it stayed 2 based upon "floodplains" (going on recollection here). What is the heuristic being used for health affects? Thanks in advance.

AZSportsFan said:
In dealing with the health affects of terrain, will the negative health due to flood plains dissappear with a farm on said floodplain? I have a city surrounded with 6 floodplains and several jungles, yet the negative affect is 2 due to "land features" or something vague like that. Is that one each for floodplains and jungle? When I cleared the jungle, it stayed 2 based upon "floodplains" (going on recollection here). What is the heuristic being used for health affects? Thanks in advance.

The farms won't neutralize the health penalty, and jungles should just be chopped. But since ill health penalizes you foodwise, the farm helps make up for it. These are the numbers I found, they were prepatch but I don't think they changed. "Forests provide your city with a +0.5 health bonus where floodplains have -0.4 and jungles a -0.25."

Top Bottom