Do you guys "cheat?"

The only time I cheated was when I was crushing on King difficulty and then the mongols offered me four turns of peace for Atomic Theory. Instead I saw that i could offer them "Literacy" instead. I laughed so hard that I dropped my itouch and when I picked it back up i accidentally accepted their deal :D

The only time I cheated was when I was crushing on King difficulty and then the mongols offered me four turns of peace for Atomic Theory. Instead I saw that i could offer them "Literacy" instead. I laughed so hard that I dropped my itouch and when I picked it back up i accidentally accepted their deal :D

What harm are they going to do with knowledge of the atom when they can't even read?

I only sorta cheat when Im on Deity. I just save the game and if I mess up then I go back. But I use this to learn from my mistakes and it doesnt really matter because it doesnt give you a great advantage. I never cheat on Civ games because I only lose if I literally do something stupid. Unlike SimCity, I cheat my ass off in that game because it deliberately pisses me off. The commute thing is a :):):):):) to handle.

But all in all, I got too much respect for this game to cheat. I dont oppose who do because those who do cheat I know they arent gonna do it all the time, righ?

I cheat when i use spies to steal technolgy. I have an issue wih spending a futune for even a chance and then when it fails (even with max. spending) they declare war on me.

Sorry, don't like that result. maybe stealing tech should be cheaper, lower risk but not very likely to happen.

Of course I only use spies when i am hopelessly behind in technolgy.
otherwise I just use them to see what is defending the city I am about to attack.

Sometimes, i won't give up a whole game because something silly happens..like my early city guard looses a 99% battle to a barb and the city is lost.
But most of my games i never reload or stuff like that, as it takes away some of the atmosphere that builds up in a game over time.

Reloading a saved game is a lot less of a cheat than the way the AI creates units out of nothing when it has a galley parked outside one of your cities.

That's only one of many examples of how I see the AI cheat all the time.

Several times I've moved a Legion Army in on a single archery unit with the other civs citizens with the intent of capturing them, took out the archery unit, then it moves me back to my original pre attack tile and gives me an end of turn. The citizens build a city directly in front of me which I then immediately attack on my next turn and get myself annialated by a full scale Pikeman Army in the brand new built city. I mean maybe you can rush a single unit after you build the city on your same turn you built the city on, but how do you rush the 3 units needed to form an Army like this in just one turn, the same turn you used to build the city? 2 turns later I have another Army there and the AI defense strentgh is already built up to a 36.

I get so mad at the AI and how it cheats it almost makes me want to snap the disc and never play again, but I'm too addicted. I've been playing mostly the Game Of The Week so there is no way to save/reload, I suppose I would cheat if I knew how, just to make my own odds seem a little more even, not because that's how I'd want to win.

And I use that word I guess because I'd guess some people consider it cheating, some don't. But what I mean is during the span of your games, do you try a strategy, see how it works, and if it doesn't you re-load your game from right before you tried it? Like declaring war, city placement, etc. Or do you consider that off-limits and however the game goes, that's how the game goes?

Absolute no-no. It's called save game cheating. Doing that is bad enough, but doing it then coming here to boast about your "victory" would be pathetic.

I reload all the time but I've only been playing Civ for a month now having never played the series before.

I'm still very much learning what works in a given situation and what doesn't, there's no point playing games over and over for hours and reaching the same crux point and not learning how to over come it or making the same strategic mistakes over and over imho.

I've quickly gone from prince to king to emporer so yeah I'm constantly making nieve mistakes but I think its the quickest way to learn, rather than piddling away on easier levels for months on end scoring easy wins.

I'm sure I'll reach a point soon where I'm confident enough in my own abilities to just wing it straight through games without reloads, because I agree with people that say this is the true way of playing the game and where most enjoyment and satisfaction can be found.

Sometimes when I get really frustrated, or lose to insane odds (5% loserate? What could go wrong?) I use Civ4's worldbuilder to erase the enemy soldier it lost to, then replace my own unit and remove a bit of my gold. I don't reload though, and not on CivRev.

Top Bottom