Custom Civ not showing up on selection screen. Need Help!

naturesshadow

Chieftain
So i've recently just started making my first custom civ and for the most part everything was coming together bit by bit, but now when I build the project and enable it in the mod menu, whenever i go into the civ selection screen it doesn't show up. I'm not sure how this happened and I've tried removing certain xml files in case they caused it but to no luck. How do I fix this situation?

I have attached a zip file of my project.

Attachments

• Vyse of the Blue Rogues (Custom Civ - Stuck).rar
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
Welcome to Civfanatics! Your uniques won't work for a start - that could be the issue. You need a unitclass and a buildingclass - which presumably will be swordsman and palace. Your unit and building can't be something that's already in the game either - so swordsman is out. Also the start along ocean etc comment should be "true" rather than "1".

Here's how I set up a unique swordsman, as an example:
Code:
	<Row>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_SACRED_BAND</Type>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_IRON_WORKING</PrereqTech>
			<Combat>27</Combat>
			<Cost>140</Cost>
			<FaithCost>280</FaithCost>
			<RequiresFaithPurchaseEnabled>true</RequiresFaithPurchaseEnabled>
			<Moves>2</Moves>
			<HurryCostModifier>20</HurryCostModifier>
			<CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</CombatClass>
			<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
			<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_ATTACK</DefaultUnitAI>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_SACRED_BAND</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_UNIT_SACRED_BAND_TEXT</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_SACRED_BAND_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_UNIT_SACRED_BAND_HELP</Help>
			<MilitarySupport>true</MilitarySupport>
			<MilitaryProduction>true</MilitaryProduction>
			<Pillage>true</Pillage>
			<ObsoleteTech>TECH_ARMOUR</ObsoleteTech>
			<GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass>UNITCLASS_LONGSWORDSMAN</GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass>
			<AdvancedStartCost>20</AdvancedStartCost>
			<XPValueAttack>3</XPValueAttack>
			<XPValueDefense>3</XPValueDefense>
			<Conscription>1</Conscription>
			<UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_SACREDBAND</UnitArtInfo>
			<UnitFlagAtlas>ANNO_UNIT_FLAGS_ATLAS</UnitFlagAtlas>
			<UnitFlagIconOffset>15</UnitFlagIconOffset>
			<IconAtlas>ANNO_UNITS02_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>11</PortraitIndex>
			<MoveRate>HEAVY_BIPED</MoveRate>
		</Row>

By the way, the strength is way out for the epic game - this is part of my mod where swordsmen are stronger than in the normal game.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to Civfanatics! Your uniques won't work for a start - that could be the issue. You need a unitclass and a buildingclass - which presumably will be swordsman and palace. Your unit and building can't be something that's already in the game either - so swordsman is out. Also the start along ocean etc comment should be "true" rather than "1".

Here's how I set up a unique swordsman, as an example:
Code:
	<Row>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_SACRED_BAND</Type>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_IRON_WORKING</PrereqTech>
			<Combat>27</Combat>
			<Cost>140</Cost>
			<FaithCost>280</FaithCost>
			<RequiresFaithPurchaseEnabled>true</RequiresFaithPurchaseEnabled>
			<Moves>2</Moves>
			<HurryCostModifier>20</HurryCostModifier>
			<CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</CombatClass>
			<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
			<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_ATTACK</DefaultUnitAI>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_SACRED_BAND</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_UNIT_SACRED_BAND_TEXT</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_SACRED_BAND_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_UNIT_SACRED_BAND_HELP</Help>
			<MilitarySupport>true</MilitarySupport>
			<MilitaryProduction>true</MilitaryProduction>
			<Pillage>true</Pillage>
			<GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass>UNITCLASS_LONGSWORDSMAN</GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass>
			<AdvancedStartCost>20</AdvancedStartCost>
			<XPValueAttack>3</XPValueAttack>
			<XPValueDefense>3</XPValueDefense>
			<Conscription>1</Conscription>
			<UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_SACREDBAND</UnitArtInfo>
			<PortraitIndex>11</PortraitIndex>
			<MoveRate>HEAVY_BIPED</MoveRate>
		</Row>

By the way, the strength is way out for the epic game - this is part of my mod where swordsmen are stronger than in the normal game.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response. At the moment I haven't implemented much with my unique units/buildings so I expected them to have some misleading info and such. To start with I've been testing some of the smaller things like the custom icons, city names and quotes and such (my last successful test got the icons working for me). I believe i've kept them like this for the most part and it didn't cause any issues when loading the mod in the game. For my uniques I'm planning to give them air pirates (replaces swordsman) and secret base (replaces palace). I'll adjust the uniques to see if that fixes the issue. I'll report back on the results.

Thanks for the response. At the moment I haven't implemented much with my unique units/buildings so I expected them to have some misleading info and such. To start with I've been testing some of the smaller things like the custom icons, city names and quotes and such (my last successful test got the icons working for me). I believe i've kept them like this for the most part and it didn't cause any issues when loading the mod in the game. For my uniques I'm planning to give them air pirates (replaces swordsman) and secret base (replaces palace). I'll adjust the uniques to see if that fixes the issue. I'll report back on the results.

So I adjusted the unit coding to the one you gave and I still can't see my civ in the civ selection screen. I might start from scratch and add each file to see which is the offending one.

....Still no luck (attached new one)

UPDATE: Updated zip file

Welcome to the world of modding! Congratulations and condolences.

LeeS has put together a great starting point for new modders here. Check out post number 3 on using logging to help troubleshoot errors.

In your Secret Base file, there are a couple of errors. First off, you have <GameData> twice:

Code:
<GameData>
	<GameData>
		<Buildings>
			<Row>

Secondly, you have mixed up the BuildingClass and Type. I presume you want the Secret Base to replace the Palace. It should be:

Code:
<Buildings>
			<Row>
				<Type>BUILDING_[COLOR="Red"]SECRET_BASE[/COLOR]</Type>
			      <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_[COLOR="red"]PALACE[/COLOR]</BuildingClass>
				<ArtDefineTag>[COLOR="Blue"]SECRET_BASE[/COLOR]</ArtDefineTag>

</Row>
		</Buildings>

The ArtDefineTag above should match the standard Palace.

The BlueRogues file is missing a number of standard elements, such as the tables defining building- and unit-class overrides, assigning the leader to the civ, etc. Please see LeeS's guide to find "XML data files for Standard Civilizations (inc DLC) tutorial (by whoward69)" for examples.

I don't see where you've defined the leader trait "Gold from Kills" unless I missed it, so the trait won't do anything (and may cause the whole file to discard).

Some of your TXT_KEY entries say BLUE_ROGUES and some say BLUE_ROGUESS, you'll want to sort that out.

There may be other errors, too, but this should get you started. Best of luck, and don't get discouraged!

1. These two files are not activated in ModBuddy. There is no OnModActivated for them, therefore they are not part of the functional code of the mod:
    Code:
        <File md5="A688A2AD59D5C0BCDE9E295AD1FA9A0F" import="0">XML/Buildings/SecretBase.xml</File>
        <File md5="828FCB597A0038FFEF73721C21E72673" import="0">XML/Unit/AirPirate.xml</File>
  2. You can never re-use a designation found in any <Type> designation provided by Firaxis. Each new <Type> designation must be unique to all others used within the same table.
    Code:
    <Buildings>
    	<Row>
    		<Type>[color="red"]BUILDING_PALACE[/color]</Type>
    In and of itself this will cause the game to discard the entire file where it occurs.
  3. If what you are trying in the previous did work, you would be trying to reassign the standard Palace building to a Class of Building you are calling "BUILDINGCLASS_SECRET_BASE":
    Code:
    <Buildings>
    	<Row>
    		<Type>BUILDING_PALACE</Type>
    		<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE</Description>
    		<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_SECRET_BASE_TEXT</Civilopedia>
    		<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE_STRATEGY</Strategy>
    		<Help>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE_HELP</Help>
    		<ThemingBonusHelp></ThemingBonusHelp>
    		<Quote></Quote>
    		<MutuallyExclusiveGroup>-1</MutuallyExclusiveGroup>
    		<NeverCapture>1</NeverCapture>
    		<NukeImmune>1</NukeImmune>
    		<MinAreaSize>-1</MinAreaSize>
    		<Defense>300</Defense>
    		<BuildingClass>[color="red"]BUILDINGCLASS_SECRET_BASE[/color]</BuildingClass>
    If this were to succeed, it would assign BUILDING_PALACE to both the BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE and your new BUILDINGCLASS_SECRET_BASE, and would cause instant CTD (crash to desktop) as soon as a player hit the START NEW GAME button in the new-game set-up menu.
  4. Above the previous two problems, you have this in your Building file:
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	[color="red"]<GameData>[/color]
    		<Buildings>
    			<Row>
    In and of itself this will cause the game to discard the entire file where it occurs.
  5. You are missing the designation
    Code:
    <Capital>true</Capital>
    in the definition of the building as a replacement for the palace.
  6. This is wrong:
    Code:
    <ArtDefineTag>SECRET_BASE</ArtDefineTag>
    because is would require you to then define that tag elsewhere in the mod so the game would know how to use the reference. The game will not throw away the file because of this mistake, but it will not be able to do anything with the designation.
  7. What you want in that file is:
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Buildings>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>BUILDING_SECRET_BASE</Type>
    			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClass>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE</Description>
    			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_SECRET_BASE_TEXT</Civilopedia>
    			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE_STRATEGY</Strategy>
    			<Help>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE_HELP</Help>
    			<NeverCapture>1</NeverCapture>
    			<NukeImmune>1</NukeImmune>
    			<Defense>300</Defense>
    			<ArtDefineTag>PALACE</ArtDefineTag>
    			<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_ART_ARTIFACT</GreatWorkSlotType>
    			<GreatWorkCount>1</GreatWorkCount>
    			<DisplayPosition>32</DisplayPosition>
    			<PortraitIndex>19</PortraitIndex>
    			<WonderSplashImage></WonderSplashImage>
    			<WonderSplashAnchor>R,T</WonderSplashAnchor>
    			<WonderSplashAudio></WonderSplashAudio>
    			<IconAtlas>BW_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
    			<ArtInfoCulturalVariation>1</ArtInfoCulturalVariation>
    			<Capital>true</Capital>
    		</Row>
    	</Buildings>
    	<Building_Flavors>
    		<Row>
    			<BuildingType>BUILDING_SECRET_BASE</BuildingType>
    			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_GOLD</FlavorType>
    			<Flavor>5</Flavor>
    		</Row>
    		<Row>
    			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_SCIENCE</FlavorType>
    			<Flavor>10</Flavor>
    		</Row>
    		<Row>
    			<FlavorType>FLAVOR_CULTURE</FlavorType>
    			<Flavor>10</Flavor>
    		</Row>
    	</Building_Flavors>
    	<Building_YieldChanges>
    		<Row>
    			<YieldType>YIELD_GOLD</YieldType>
    			<Yield>3</Yield>
    		</Row>
    		<Row>
    			<YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
    			<Yield>5</Yield>
    		</Row>
    		<Row>
    			<YieldType>YIELD_SCIENCE</YieldType>
    			<Yield>3</Yield>
    		</Row>
    		<Row>
    			<YieldType>YIELD_CULTURE</YieldType>
    			<Yield>1</Yield>
    		</Row>
    	</Building_YieldChanges>
    	<Language_en_US>
    		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE">
    			<Text>SECRET_BASE</Text>
    		</Row>
    		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_SECRET_BASE_TEXT">
    			<Text>
    				<!-- Add Civilopedia text here -->
    			</Text>
    		</Row>
    		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE_STRATEGY">
    			<Text>The headquarters for any Blue Rogues establishment. Thye are usually built into the ground to keep them hidden from the Valuan Empire, building mechanical doors to allow their ships to take shelter. Pirate Isle is a good example of one in which the isle itself is actually named "Windmill Isle" to distract the Valuans. Many goods from successful raids are kept in these places and there is much loqua to go around.</Text>
    		</Row>
    		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE_HELP">
    			<Text>Indicates this City is the [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital of the empire. Contains 1 slot for a Great Work of Art. Provides more Defense then the Palace.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE][ICON_CONNECTED] Connecting other Cities to the [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital by Road will produce additional [ICON_GOLD] Gold.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]+3 [ICON_PRODUCTION] Production, +5 [ICON_RESEARCH] Science, +3 [ICON_GOLD] Gold</Text>
    		</Row>
    	</Language_en_US>
    </GameData>
  8. Code:
    No such technology in the standard game. I assume you copied that from Rob's Anno Domino code, but you can't use it in the standard game without his mod also running and loaded before yours loads into the game. You want
    Code:
    <ObsoleteTech>TECH_STEEL</ObsoleteTech>
  9. Code:
    <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_AIRPIRATE</UnitArtInfo>
    The <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_AIRPIRATE</UnitArtInfo> has a similar issue as with the art tag you used in the building -- it is undefined. The others are essentially the same issue as with TECH_ARMOUR. I would directly copy these from the standard Swordsman as an interim measure:
    Code:
    <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_SWORDSMAN</UnitArtInfo>
    <UnitFlagIconOffset>14</UnitFlagIconOffset>
    <IconAtlas>UNIT_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
    <PortraitIndex>14</PortraitIndex>
    This will be okay because you are not re-using a <Type>UNIT_SOMETHING</Type> designation.
  10. Also in your unit file you are missing tables for what unit-class the unit upgrades to, what the unit's AI-use types are, what free promotions (if any) the unit starts with, unit flavorings, etc.
  11. You have not defined TRAIT_GOLD_FROM_KILLS anywhere.
  12. You have no Spies assigned to your civ
  13. You have no starting units assigned to your civ
  14. You have no free building-classes assigned to your civ
  15. You have neither Unique Units, Unique Buildings, nor Unique Improvements assigned to your civ
  16. You have no diplomacy responses assigned to your leader
There are probably other errors or omissions in your mod, but I think that's already a pretty hefty list of issues to address.

Also, in future, what we need you to attach is the built version of the mod that will be located as a sub-folder within My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/. See whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial

So I started from scratch to fix this issue and I've got it back on the civ selection screen. I've managed to get the civ trait description, dawn of man image and icon, and the city names working. Although there seems to be another visual error happening in which my unique unit is not showing up at all while my unique building is all good. I'm not sure if I'm missing any code to have it appear or I accidentally deleted something from it. Also now that I've got the civ icon working, how do I assign custom leader and uniques icons?

1. The Leader Scene fallback image file Vyse_Leader_Scene.xml needs to be set as Import Into VFS = true and should not be set as OnModActivated>UpDateDatabase. Leader Scene xml files are one of the few exceptions to the 'normal' way xml files are activated.
  2. There's no column called ArtDefineTag in table Units
  3. In order to change the Icon a unit uses, you change the references stated in these columns:
    Code:
    <UnitFlagAtlas>EXPANSION2_UNIT_FLAG_ATLAS</UnitFlagAtlas>
    • These are for the Icon that shows in city build-qeues, civilopedia screens, etc.:
      Code:
    • These are for the unit's main map flag icon that appears over the unit:
      Code:
      <UnitFlagAtlas>EXPANSION2_UNIT_FLAG_ATLAS</UnitFlagAtlas>
  4. Leader Icons are done the same way except for them there is no 'Unit Flag'.
  5. Also, I don't see where you have an 'Alpha' Icon Atlas (nor the matching 'Alpha' dds files) for the civ. The alpha atlas is kinda like a 'shadow outline' of the civ's Icon Symbol, and makes the game understand where to make the 'light shine-through' for the civ's colors.

1. There's no column called ArtDefineTag in table Units

I'm a bit confused about this. I have this tag in my unit xml:
<ArtDefineTag>SWORDSMAN</ArtDefineTag>
Is there something else that needs to go with this?

Do you mean you want to use the swordsman model - in other words, to look like a swordsman? Then you would include this line in your Units table:

Code:

EDIT: You already have that in there

And take out the line:

Code:

Do you mean you want to use the swordsman model - in other words, to look like a swordsman? Then you would include this line in your Units table:

Code:

EDIT: You already have that in there

And take out the line:

Code:

So i've taken that code out and it's still not fixed the issue. I recently started trying to link my uniques and my leader icon to the art assets I've got in my atlas xml, could that be causing the issue? I've attached a screenshot showing its current state. visualerror.jpg

You can edit a post on the forum and remove old versions of attachments. I would do this for all the outdated versions of the mod that are attached to previous posts in the thread, and then attach the newest version of the mod.

From the screenshot you either have an incorrectly-formatted <IconTextureAtlases> table, or your Icons are not created properly, or both. Without the mod in its current state to look at it is impossible to tell. The fact that you can scroll-down through the leader selection screen to your leader tells me that otherwise the uniques, the leader, and the civ are registering with the game at least well enough to be functional, it is just the art that is not quite there yet.

I will be able to diagnose whether or not the XML-code is good, but I have to admit that artwork creation defeats me. I just cannot seem to get the hang of creating Icons and such, and I am essentially useless when it comes to opening an art file and diagnosing what compression settings, etc., are not correct -- so hopefully one of the skilled-at-artwork members will take a look at the newest version of the mod once attached.

You can edit a post on the forum and remove old versions of attachments. I would do this for all the outdated versions of the mod that are attached to previous posts in the thread, and then attach the newest version of the mod.

From the screenshot you either have an incorrectly-formatted <IconTextureAtlases> table, or your Icons are not created properly, or both. Without the mod in its current state to look at it is impossible to tell. The fact that you can scroll-down through the leader selection screen to your leader tells me that otherwise the uniques, the leader, and the civ are registering with the game at least well enough to be functional, it is just the art that is not quite there yet.

I will be able to diagnose whether or not the XML-code is good, but I have to admit that artwork creation defeats me. I just cannot seem to get the hang of creating Icons and such, and I am essentially useless when it comes to opening an art file and diagnosing what compression settings, etc., are not correct -- so hopefully one of the skilled-at-artwork members will take a look at the newest version of the mod once attached.

I see. In that case I've updated the last zip I posted with my current version. I redid the icon dds files by following a different tutorial and managed to get the leader and civ icon to work, but still don't know how to fix the disappearing Uniques visualerror part 2.jpg. I might just paste in a vanilla unique unit/building to see if they show up (just tested this, that did nothing.). I'm just puzzled as to what's making them invisible to the game as the unique building was working just fine before and now it's in the same boat as the unique unit. I must be missing something or overwritten something that I wasn't suppose to.

Okay, so I went through the code to see if there were any specific bits that might be causing this visual error and I found some bits of text in the unique unit that were SWORDSMAN instead of AIR_PIRATE. After adjusting some of the entries the unique unit is now visible along with the building which I did a bit of an overhaul to the code to get visible. I can now see them in the game and the setup screen (but I still don't know how to get the map image to appear. I need directions to a tutorial that explains the settings for that image).

However, when I tested it ingame I noticed that I couldn't build anything in the Capitol, thus preventing me from actually continuing the game. I'm not sure what coding from the palace xml I need to allow the city to build things. Also when in the city menu ingame, the secret base icon wasn't there when I hovered over the building on the side. Am I missing a certain size atlas for that one?

Attachments

• Blue Rogues - Vyse the Legend (v 1) improved version.zip
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 52
  1. You have <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClass> specified twice in your <Buildings> definition. This causes the game to discard the entire file where it occurs.
  2. You also still have <PortraitIndex>19</PortraitIndex> in your building.
  3. In your unit definition you have both of these:
    Code:
    	  <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_U_SWORDSMAN</UnitArtInfo>
  4. You can never have the same column specified more than once within the same row in <Buildings> or <Units>. This is true for any game-table.
  5. In your <Traits>, these are percentage modifiers:
    Code:
    <NaturalWonderYieldModifier>1</NaturalWonderYieldModifier>
    <NaturalWonderHappinessModifier>1</NaturalWonderHappinessModifier>
    So "modifying" a base yield of 1 or 2 by 1% will not give a result that is at all useful.
  6. You do not have an 8x8 grid in your icon files. You have 5 x 1

errr..not sure how much of that is rendered obsolete by your latest post.

And also, confusion as to which version of a file someone should download and look at is one of two reasons I recommended you delete the outdated attachments from previous posts in the thread.....the other reason is that every attachment you upload counts against your member limit for how much stuff you can attach to forum posts, and this limit is a 'global' counted against anything anywhere that you attach to a post on the forum.

1. You have <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClass> specified twice in your <Buildings> definition. This causes the game to discard the entire file where it occurs.
  2. You also still have <PortraitIndex>19</PortraitIndex> in your building.
  3. In your unit definition you have both of these:
    Code:
    	  <UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_U_SWORDSMAN</UnitArtInfo>
  4. You can never have the same column specified more than once within the same row in <Buildings> or <Units>. This is true for any game-table.
  5. In your <Traits>, these are percentage modifiers:
    Code:
    <NaturalWonderYieldModifier>1</NaturalWonderYieldModifier>
    <NaturalWonderHappinessModifier>1</NaturalWonderHappinessModifier>
    So "modifying" a base yield of 1 or 2 by 1% will not give a result that is at all useful.
  6. You do not have an 8x8 grid in your icon files. You have 5 x 1

errr..not sure how much of that is rendered obsolete by your latest post.

And also, confusion as to which version of a file someone should download and look at is one of two reasons I recommended you delete the outdated attachments from previous posts in the thread.....the other reason is that every attachment you upload counts against your member limit for how much stuff you can attach to forum posts, and this limit is a 'global' counted against anything anywhere that you attach to a post on the forum.

I take it that you were in the middle of this when I posted my latest comment. My bad :crazyeye:

A majority of the above was fixed in the latest zip like the duplicate codes and portraitindex, and I also deleted the naturalwonder modifier since I don't want that affected (just the gold upon discovery). Cheers for pointing out the upload limit, I'll keep in mind to delete any files not needed anymore to save space. The issues stated above are my current issues, particularly the not being able to build anything issue relating to the palace replacement.

Some things I noticed:

In the Secret Base file, you list:
Code:
<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_WRITING</GreatWorkSlotType>

It should be:
Code:
<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_[COLOR="Red"]LITERATURE[/COLOR]</GreatWorkSlotType>

Your Secret Base file was also missing the Art Define Tag (you do use it for buildings, not for units). Add this:
Code:

You'll also want to fill the text in here:
Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SECRET_BASE">
        <Text>
            <!-- Add Civilopedia text here -->
        </Text>
</Row>

In your Trait file, you have:
Code:
<EmbarkedAllWater>1</EmbarkedAllWater>

This gives your units the ability to enter water tiles right from the start like Polynesia. For +1 extra embarked movement, you would use:
Code:
<ExtraEmbarkMoves>1</ExtraEmbarkMoves>

There could be more, I didn't go through it extensively.

Some things I noticed:

In the Secret Base file, you list:
Code:
<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_WRITING</GreatWorkSlotType>

It should be:
Code:
<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_[COLOR="Red"]LITERATURE[/COLOR]</GreatWorkSlotType>
Whooops! This is why more eye-pairs is always better! I looked right past that one.

Your Secret Base file was also missing the Art Define Tag (you do use it for buildings, not for units). Add this:
Code:
<ArtDefineTag> is not actually required for a building. You can set it to "NONE", "NULL", or omit it entirely.

However, for those buildings that actually affect the way cities are rendered on the main map, it is better to include it, and to use the same setting as Firaxis used for the default building within a class (noted here in blue for the Palace):
Code:
		<Row>
			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClass>
			<Cost>0</Cost>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PALACE_HELP</Help>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PALACE</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_PALACE_TEXT</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PALACE_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			[COLOR="blue"]<ArtDefineTag>PALACE</ArtDefineTag>[/COLOR]
			<Capital>true</Capital>
			<NukeImmune>true</NukeImmune>
			<Defense>250</Defense>
			[COLOR="blue"]<ArtInfoCulturalVariation>true</ArtInfoCulturalVariation>
			<DisplayPosition>32</DisplayPosition>[/COLOR]
			[COLOR="Red"]<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_ART_ARTIFACT</GreatWorkSlotType>
			<GreatWorkCount>1</GreatWorkCount>[/COLOR]
			<NeverCapture>true</NeverCapture>
			<IconAtlas>BW_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>19</PortraitIndex>
		</Row>
naturesshadow:

• Note also the red highlight in the above code taken directly from the game's base files for the default Palace Building.
  • 99+% of everything within the Cultural Overview Pop-up is hardcoded for Building-X has X-Number-Great-Works-Slots of X-Type.
  • You can use custom versions of a Palace Building, but I believe you will need to follow-through and use the <GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_ART_ARTIFACT</GreatWorkSlotType> designation, or you will need to include the contents of KyteM's Dynamic Culture Overview mod (or require users to also download and use his mod at the same time as yours).
  • Otherwise I am not sure how well the game will handle a Great Work of Writing slot in a building-class it is generally coded to look for a Great Work of Art for.
  • The cultural overview pop-up will work if you include no great work slots in your capital, and I have even seen it done in BNW with a merchant citizen-specialist slot instead of a great work slot.

I've changed the settings and added things like the artdefine tag and reverted the work slot to its default one and that's fixed the building things problem (although i might have to change the palace's output as science starts off too low).

Thanks for the help, I would definitely be stuck for ages on these problems on my own.

With that latest problem out of the way, the only problems I've got on my list atm to fix now are the music, map image in setup and the diplomacy image being all gray while the icon in that screen goes all negative coloured. Then from there will be the gameplay tests of the uniques.

Do you guys know of any tutorials on this site that talk specifically on the settings of these particular images? (searching for setup map image keeps directing me to worldbuilder related topics)

It's really satisfying once it starts to work, isn't it :)

Your map image was the wrong size - it should 360x412. I forgot to include that in the last post. A few art tutorials in "Civ5 - Modding Tutorials & Reference":

Leader scenes

DDS files in general

EDIT: It looks like your alpha images are the wrong size. They should be square and proportioned just like color icons. So, the 128 size would be an image size of 128x128, and the white icon would fit in a circle of diameter 86 (actually, it doesn't have to fit entirely, the "wings" can stick out a bit, that's OK.

Top Bottom