Testing a civ 5 mod help

Yottakon

Chieftain
I'm having trouble testing out my mod. I checked Kael's tutorial, but it doesn't work (most likely because that method is out of date). The way I did it is I built a mod and got a .civ5mod file, and put it in a new folder called MODS in my Sid Meier's Civilization V folder, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know exactly how to test?

First of all, welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay! :goodjob:
Civ5mod is compressed file. You need to open a folder for the mod inside the mods folder, put the mod there, and unzip it. Then it should work.

You should to talk to some of the other modders. They can give you more help than I can.

I tried that, it didn't work. Maybe I haven't gotten used to it, but I feel this site is hard to navigate, so I can't really find a solution here easily. I can send you my mod to see if I made a mistake in it.

1. These don't match:
    Code:
    	<Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
    		<Row>
    			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_PETORIA</CivilizationType>
    			<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_WWI_BOMBER</UnitClassType>
    			<UnitType>[color="red"]UNIT__PETORIAN_HINDENPETER[/color]</UnitType>
    		</Row>

</Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
    	<Row>
    		<Class>UNITCLASS_WWI_BOMBER</Class>
    		<Type>[color="red"]UNIT_PETORIAN_HINDENPETER[/color]</Type>
  2. There is no table-name here to tell the game where to insert these rows:
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Row>
    		<Class>UNITCLASS_CANNON</Class>
    		<Type>UNIT_LONG_JOHN_PETER_CANNON</Type>
    	</Row>
    </GameData>
  3. You cannot repeat a column name within the same row definition in any game-table:
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	<!-- Table data -->
    	<Traits>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>TRAIT_NEW_DEAL</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_NEW_DEAL</Description>
    			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_NEW_DEAL_SHORT</ShortDescription>
    			<GreatPeopleRateModifier>25</GreatPeopleRateModifier>
    			[color="red"]<FreeUnit>UNITCLASS_SCIENTIST</FreeUnit>
    			<FreeUnit>UNITCLASS_MERCHANT</FreeUnit>
    			<FreeUnit>UNITCLASS_ENGINEER</FreeUnit>[/color]
    		</Row>
    	</Traits>
    </GameData>
    You are also missing a designation of <FreeUnitPrereqTech>TECH_XXXXXX</FreeUnitPrereqTech> to tell the game when to give the free unit. Not sure if you omit the designation whether it will give the free unit at the beginning of the game or not.
  4. But the above doesn't actually matter much because:
    Code:
    	<Leader_Traits>
    		<Row>
    			<LeaderType>LEADER_PETER_GRIFFIN</LeaderType>
    			<TraitType>TRAIT_CARNIVAL</TraitType>
    		</Row>
    	</Leader_Traits>
  5. The game will not allow a repeat designation of
    Code:
    <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_SOMETHING">
    within the <Language_en_US> language table (or any of those for the other possible player languages). It will discard and not use any file where this occurs even once. You have multiple occurances of this in Civ5_Dialog_Peter_Griffin.xml, CIV5_GenericDialog2_Peter_Griffin.xml, CIV5_GenericDialog_Peter_Griffin.xml, etc.
  6. The methods you are using (ie, the game tables) in files PeterGriffinAudioDefines.xml and PeterGriffinAudio2DScripts.xml were made obsolete quite some time ago and will not work. See Making a custom Leader use Custom Music! (by Leugi) for some starting examples of the current methods.
  7. When you use either of ModBuddy's Build Solution or Build YourModName this in and of itself should send a functional copy of the mod as needed by the game to your My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS folder, and the mod should show as an enable-able mod in-game in the MODS menu.
    • If Modbuddy is not sending the mod to the correct folder, then check back through the settings in modbuddy as to which folders built mods ought to be sent to
    • the civ5mod file is a compressed version of the mod generally placed in the Documents/Firaxis ModBuddy/YourModName/Pacakges folder, and is meant primarily to be used for uploading to the Steam Workshop, but is also convenient for other file-sharing purposes. It is not, however, what we generally mean on this forum by the 'built' version of the mod
    • the uncompressed verion of the mod as it will be used by the game is sent to two places: the Documents/Firaxis ModBuddy/YourModName/Build folder, and your Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder
      • it is the second of these that is actually used by the game
    • When you installed the game, or when you installed ModBuddy, if you re-directed the storage locations from My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ for saved games, user config files, and the folder location wherein the MODS folder ought to be, this is a very bad idea, and is likely part of the trouble with getting the mod to show-up as a selectable mod in-game. You should never have to do what you are talking about with grabbing the civ5mod file and creating new "MODS" folders and dropping the civ5mod into it if you are creating the mod yourself.

Well, this is one of the most useful things I have read about mod making. For the mistakes I have made, it is kind of obvious that I haven't completely finished the mod, and I am trying to build my own mod by using Brazil's civilization and Pedro's XML files as a template, then sending them to modbuddy to re-write my own civ. Anyways, thanks for the information.

Sorry, but I'm fairy new at modding. Can you give me step by step on how to set up the mod location how to actually test it?

Top Bottom