A couple questions about editing CIV5Worlds.xml for a larger map size

Shadole

Warlord
Hello all, new poster here and new to civ as well. Have really been enjoying the game over the last few months and got bit by the modding bug as well!

I would like to increase the "huge" map size to something closer to the YNAEMP size of 180x96 via editing CIV5Worlds.xml but I am confused about a couple things. I notice that certain values change based on map size.

1. What is the TargetNumCities value for? It is 6 for Huge. For balance should this be increased if I use 180x96?
2. What does TerrainGrainChange do?
3. What does FeatureGrainChange do?
4. What does EstimatedNumCities do?

Ideally I'd just use the same values Gedemon used for the YNAEMP map but I couldn't find those anywhere.

Also, if I change all these values for Huge, will I be able to generate Huge maps with those values with Communitas/PerfectWorld/Tectonic etc. or do these mods all have their own default values for CIV5Worlds?

Thank you if you can help me. I spent a long time googling these answers but came up short.

Most map scripts are going to ignore your changes to map size in CIV5Worlds.xml as they overwrite them. In fact, even some of the map scripts that come with the game (and/or a DLC) overwrite map dimensions with there own values. However, editing them in the map script itself isn't any more difficult than editing them in CIV5Worlds.xml.

The Grain change settings affect the fractals used by the default map scripts (Continents, Pangaea, etc.). I believe higher grains are more sporadic (and therefore homogenous) where lower grains tend to form clumps.

I can't recall what the NumCities variable are used for off the top of my head (or if they're even used at all). One possibility is that they could affect the AI's expansionist agenda. Additionally, they may be used when calculating the culture/science per city penalties.

Most map scripts are going to ignore your changes to map size in CIV5Worlds.xml as they overwrite them. In fact, even some of the map scripts that come with the game (and/or a DLC) overwrite map dimensions with there own values. However, editing them in the map script itself isn't any more difficult than editing them in CIV5Worlds.xml.

The Grain change settings affect the fractals used by the default map scripts (Continents, Pangaea, etc.). I believe higher grains are more sporadic (and therefore homogenous) where lower grains tend to form clumps.

I can't recall what the NumCities variable are used for off the top of my head (or if they're even used at all). One possibility is that they could affect the AI's expansionist agenda. Additionally, they may be used when calculating the culture/science per city penalties.

Thank you so much for your help! If I were to edit these in the scripts themselves, I can just open the .lua files and edit them via Notepad like I've done with XML, right?

Thanks again my friend.

Yes.

Searching the text for "worldSize" should basically take you straight to the size overrides if they exist. Keep in mind some maps expect a certain ratio for width to height (perfect world and anything derived from it for sure) and also, it's best practice to make sure your Height is an even number (at one point in time, yeas ago, odd heights were known to break some aspect of the AI; no idea if Firaxis ever fixed that).

Yes.

Searching the text for "worldSize" should basically take you straight to the size overrides if they exist. Keep in mind some maps expect a certain ratio for width to height (perfect world and anything derived from it for sure) and also, it's best practice to make sure your Height is an even number (at one point in time, yeas ago, odd heights were known to break some aspect of the AI; no idea if Firaxis ever fixed that).

Thanks, I would never have thought of those two things!

In looking at the lua files of the map scripts, it seems like they don't list TargetNumCities or the other parameters that I asked about, so I guess it's not really necessary to tinker with those to have a bigger map like Tectonics for the AI.

Thanks, I would never have thought of those two things!

In looking at the lua files of the map scripts, it seems like they don't list TargetNumCities or the other parameters that I asked about, so I guess it's not really necessary to tinker with those to have a bigger map like Tectonics for the AI.
What is the file named exactly? worldsize.lua?

Top Bottom