[MOD] Fall from Heaven

Started my first game yesterday... and played for hours and hours, getting up early this morning to play some more! Greeeeattt work!! :goodjob:

Haven't got up to the new units yet, but I already love it anyway - especially all those promotions I'm getting from slaughtering hordes of Barbarians :D

Some feedback from the early game which I hadn't seen mentioned yet:

1. Many buildings use the same build icons - Obelisks, Granary, Barracks I've noticed up till now. This get's confusing when you have several of these build options in a city at once. Would be nice if you could get individual new icons for them.

2. One thing I hate about vanilla Civ4 is the way experience gets reset to 10 on upgrading units... you go this one better by resetting to 0 :mad: .. or maybe even negative XP (is that possible?), since the first win by my upgraded Axemen (from Warriors) sometimes doesn't give any XP yet.

Please, please at least leave my veterans the normal 10 XP... even better, leave them all their XP, if that's possible!
Now I have lots of Axemen with 5 promotions, who will probably never see another one... since they have to get about 30 XP for the next - and by then they'll upgrade to Macemen or something and start all over again...:mad:

Edit: 3.) I like the building prereq's for specific units - but they're a bit expensive, at least for the early game!

Otherwise - great Mod! Keep up the good work! I hope very much you can keep your deadline Friday, so we'll have the next version for the holidays..

Dragonlord said:
Started my first game yesterday... and played for hours and hours, getting up early this morning to play some more! Greeeeattt work!! :goodjob:

Haven't got up to the new units yet, but I already love it anyway - especially all those promotions I'm getting from slaughtering hordes of Barbarians :D

Some feedback from the early game which I hadn't seen mentioned yet:

1. Many buildings use the same build icons - Obelisks, Granary, Barracks I've noticed up till now. This get's confusing when you have several of these build options in a city at once. Would be nice if you could get individual new icons for them.

2. One thing I hate about vanilla Civ4 is the way experience gets reset to 10 on upgrading units... you go this one better by resetting to 0 :mad: .. or maybe even negative XP (is that possible?), since the first win by my upgraded Axemen (from Warriors) sometimes doesn't give any XP yet.

Please, please at least leave my veterans the normal 10 XP... even better, leave them all their XP, if that's possible!
Now I have lots of Axemen with 5 promotions, who will probably never see another one... since they have to get about 30 XP for the next - and by then they'll upgrade to Macemen or something and start all over again...:mad:

Edit: 3.) I like the building prereq's for specific units - but they're a bit expensive, at least for the early game!

Otherwise - great Mod! Keep up the good work! I hope very much you can keep your deadline Friday, so we'll have the next version for the holidays..

Yeah, it wasn't my intent to have xp reset so far (or at all). i agree that xp should remain the same through an upgrade. I will see what I can do to change it.

Kael - What do you need help with, if anything? Do you need specific things playtested, civilopedia help, ideas, ect?

The Tech "Trade" allows technology trading.
Thank you. Kinda makes sense, doesen't it?

While I think some are still a little cheesy/modern like "Care for the Elderly" (You have to admit, when was the last time you ever saw elves and dwarves worry about their elderly? Maybe you should just replace that civic altogether?)
I disagree. Dwarves and elves could definitely worry about the elderly, why shouldn't they?

Aristocracy: Seems weak. Isn't it much better to build cottages?
I concur, your excellency (ah, those civ CivII advisors, I still miss them)

You might also wish to consider improving workshops. With a max bonus of +2 hammers and no StPr to remove the food penalty, they are a bit weak.

Looking at the late tech tree I wondered about two things:
1) Isn't "omniscience" a better word for the tech that reveals the map than "omnipotence", as it does not give an instant win?
2) I didn't see a future tech. What happens when you run out of things to research?

Yea i'm with woodelf, if you need any help with anything, just ask, this mod has the potential to be awesome

and to the above, errm don't elves/dwarves live incrediably long times, in lotr elves lived forever, so i think the care for the elderly civic makes sense

I disagree. Dwarves and elves could definitely worry about the elderly, why shouldn't they?

Oh come now, it's the elderly who are usually the RULERS! Anybody seen Lord of the Rings? The 300 year old elves with grey hair are the ones planning battle strategies and conjuring magic. You sure don't see them in an assisted-living home, now do you? Similarly, it's the wise old dwarf who sits atop his throne ruling the kingdom.

I'm just trying to make this game have more of a fantasy feel to it. Rather then "Care for the Elderly" you should have "Council of Elders." That makes a lot more sense. But seriously, I havn't heard of or played even one fantasy game that has government systems that in any way relate to modern times. But this is pointless, so I'll stop bringing civics up because Kael has plenty of other things to worry about :)

first of all Kael, fantastic mod. not only does it satisfy my codded cIV needs, but it has as much potential as any mod ive seen. in addition to all the comments everyone has made and the planned upgrades you have, i have a couple interesting ideas, so hear me out and if they arent possible (yet) just shoot em down.

1st) simple thing... can we have an upgraded catapult available in the mid game? they are pretty weak, especially vs. macemen and T2 and higher units.
2nd) bring macemen down to 6 or 7 at the most for strength, 8 is way to much, as mentioned by someone else above.
3rd) too much gold produced in the game. i agree with whoever said that.

(and now for the long term ideas!)

4th) how about we go one step further than simply a few units for each religion? i like the idea of haveing several for each, but lets keep going! i would LOVE to see dwarves be able to not only build roads in mountains, but cities as well! think of Khazad-dum!!! also, elves should have a promotion that not only makes them have a defense bonus in forests (and/or ancient forests) but should be invisible in them! plus the idea of forest guardians/ents is great that you guys came up with.
5th) i dont know much about what this mod is based on, but could we add a civ/culture/religion that is similar to merfolk? they could have "land units" that can go in the sea and be able to build cities in the sea and build special improvements or something to make for enough tiel yield. i just think this would be cool to play as, at least maybe in a scenario or something.
6th) i know this isnt so big or important, but ive seena few mods with random events like volcanoes, locusts, fertility, etc. and was wondering if we could put something similar in here, but with some extra things like "hoard fo orcs approaches" and create a few "orc" units nearby or something like that. ...who knows.
anyway, thats all for now i think. keep up the excellent work.

(ps. i like your idea about removing the buildings required for T4 units, go for it. also, my summoned units die right away (first turn) so it works right)

Felzor said:
Anybody seen Lord of the Rings? The 300 year old elves with grey hair are the ones planning battle strategies and conjuring magic. You sure don't see them in an assisted-living home, now do you?

More like 5000-8000 years :p.

Oh come now, it's the elderly who are usually the RULERS!
Yes, but in CivIV (and Civ has always been about changing history), rulers are decided by the Gov. civics.

Rather then "Care for the Elderly" you should have "Council of Elders."
Council of Elders souns like great idea for a Gov. civic, but not for a Healthcare one.

woodelf said:
Kael - What do you need help with, if anything? Do you need specific things playtested, civilopedia help, ideas, ect?

Things I could use help with:

1. Neat looking skins for my units, I am not an artist and anyone able to provide quality reskins, especially for the models I reuse would be appreciated.

2. Audio sounds for the spells (summoning a demon, summoning a fire elemental, casting bless, casting cure disease, casting vitalize land, fireball, escape, root). The format doesn't matter, but if you can provide a small clip that sounds good I would definitly appreciate it.

Question Mark said:
Looking at the late tech tree I wondered about two things:
1) Isn't "omniscience" a better word for the tech that reveals the map than "omnipotence", as it does not give an instant win?
2) I didn't see a future tech. What happens when you run out of things to research?

1. Good point, I will change it to Omniscience.

2. I wanted the game to have a tech victory, but of course the space ship wasn't appropriate. So instead I will be using Armageddon spells. They are so overpowered that they are close to just giving you the win, like the spaceship, but they actually let you play through it. They will all be extremely high cost to research and have to be built as wonders to take effect. That is the mod's version of a "future tech"

King Coltrane said:
1st) simple thing... can we have an upgraded catapult available in the mid game? they are pretty weak, especially vs. macemen and T2 and higher units.

Catapalts and Mages are currently functionaly identical. The catapalt is only provided to allow some barrage/collateral damage capacity to non-mage civ's. So they are not intended to scale appropriatly with the other lines. Use mages for the same purpose and you will find they work better.

2nd) bring macemen down to 6 or 7 at the most for strength, 8 is way to much, as mentioned by someone else above.

I will definitly be bringing down their anti-melee ability from 50% to 25% and droping the shock promotion from +50% to +40%. I think you are probably right and the power probably needs decreased to, I will check it out.

3rd) too much gold produced in the game. i agree with whoever said that.

I have decreased the money production of the market and increased the cost of upgrades. We will see how this plays out in 0.60. Remember almost all of the economic civics allow gold buying to finish production, part of the reason I give more gold and have higher build costs is because I expect players to rush production more often than in the origional game.

4th) how about we go one step further than simply a few units for each religion? i like the idea of haveing several for each, but lets keep going! i would LOVE to see dwarves be able to not only build roads in mountains, but cities as well! think of Khazad-dum!!! also, elves should have a promotion that not only makes them have a defense bonus in forests (and/or ancient forests) but should be invisible in them! plus the idea of forest guardians/ents is great that you guys came up with.

I definltly want more religious units and increased diversification of the religions. This was just the first step.

5th) i dont know much about what this mod is based on, but could we add a civ/culture/religion that is similar to merfolk? they could have "land units" that can go in the sea and be able to build cities in the sea and build special improvements or something to make for enough tiel yield. i just think this would be cool to play as, at least maybe in a scenario or something.

Im trying to get the Drown to be able to travel in land and coast tiles. If I can get that working I might add in some additional sea units.

6th) i know this isnt so big or important, but ive seena few mods with random events like volcanoes, locusts, fertility, etc. and was wondering if we could put something similar in here, but with some extra things like "hoard fo orcs approaches" and create a few "orc" units nearby or something like that. ...who knows.

Direaussie has done awesome work in that mod, and I actually know him from another place. Since it greatly complicates my work to incorporate all the changes I have made with all of the changes they have made I had planned on waiting for version 1.0 before going out and checking out other mods to see what I can use. Direaussie's random event mod is on the top of that list. I am also very impressed with Master Lexx's Greenmod, so I will be talking to hum about adding his additional resources.

Il send you a few files in WAV format if you would like, but il have to send you them via an e-mail or such like, as it is an invalid file format to upload on here

mrkingkong

PS. Download was completed successfully after another try, so i will play and give you feedback tommorow probably! :goodjob:

I like the Random Events mod as well - it seems possible to combine the two. I have been playing the Fall from Heaven mod combined with the Random Events mod with no problems that I have noticed. It involves some work to combine the two - you have to cut and past some of the xml files is all.

Kael - I would also be interested to see your mod incorporate some of the work from the Great People's mod later on down the road, with customized popups with portraits and quotes for the great leaders. That could be fun with some cool portraits and fantasy-themed great persons based on the world you are creating. Just another thought.

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I can't seem to get the mod to load. I go to advanced -> Load a mod, choose Fall from Heaven and I get a popup that says that the game needs to restart to play.

The game restarts, and I see the Fall from Heaven title on the upper right, but starting a new game still drop me into the regular version, and if I choose to load a mod again, it makes me restart the game (again).

Any ideas?

Thank

Yah, but don't see any particular options in the custom game menu to choose. I started an archipelligo game, and then a custom continents game, but both look just like the regular game.

Ideas:
* Drowns and other aquatic units starts with the amphibious upgrade.
* In-game fantasy style music (great with the main menu and religion music, I would love to have something similar throughout the game).

Question:
*The Yggdrasil doesn't seem to give any bonus apart from the +4% culture, is that correct? As it is a wonder, I personally feel it ought to be a tad more powerful.

Llabak said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I can't seem to get the mod to load. I go to advanced -> Load a mod, choose Fall from Heaven and I get a popup that says that the game needs to restart to play.

The game restarts, and I see the Fall from Heaven title on the upper right, but starting a new game still drop me into the regular version, and if I choose to load a mod again, it makes me restart the game (again).

Any ideas?

Thank

It sound like your mod/Fall from Heaven/ directory has the ini file in it but does it have the Assets directory? Does the assets directory have files in it?

Either that or you have copied a bunch of your assets files into your custom assets directory (Im not sure which is prefered, mod files or custom assets files).

Question Mark said:
Ideas:
* Drowns and other aquatic units starts with the amphibious upgrade.
* In-game fantasy style music (great with the main menu and religion music, I would love to have something similar throughout the game).

Question:
*The Yggdrasil doesn't seem to give any bonus apart from the +4% culture, is that correct? As it is a wonder, I personally feel it ought to be a tad more powerful.

The in game fantasy style music would be cool, it will probably be in the final polish.

Doh! The Yggdrasil should provide 3 resources, The Fruit of Yggdrasil which provide 1 Happiness and 2 Health tot he cities provided with them. But I see the building isn't linked correctly so it isn't providing anything. I will fix it in 0.60.

Top Bottom