Sevo's Civilopedia

Glinka said:
You apparently missed this in the same thread, posted by Sevo:

There doesn't seem to be any way to make an icon list with labels that is still clickable AND scrollable, at least from what I can view...

That's what you get for not reading all the modders posts... :blush:

Great job Sevo! Its modders like you that are going to make this game as it should be intended!: goodjob:

i love it! :goodjob: I just got Civilization IV, and the civilopedia was one of the things I hoped someone would tweak to make it as good as the civilization III civilopedia.

Anyway, one thing that bugged me about the Civilization IV civilopedia that you don't appear to address is that when you're on the pedia page for an advance like Feudalism that gives new civics like serfdom, you can't click on "serfdom" to bring it to the serfdom page to check it out, unless I'm doing it wrong.

:goodjob:
:thumbsup:
:worship:
:thanx:
:yeah:
:clap:
:bounce:
:rockon:
:woohoo:

Umm - get the message? ;)

This is great! I've spent hours putting together my set of spreadsheets. All because the civilopedia is so useless.

Is there any way that the civilopedia can be searchable? I think that's the biggest thing missing. Even with just icons, if it's searchable, most of the frustration (except the actual lacking content) would be eliminated.

kroYM

Master Lexx said:
Maybe you should better wait for firaxis to fix the civilopedia.

HuH? :confused: What's the fun in modding then?!? :mischief: You're talking to a guy who thinks it would be funny to have a random chance of goody huts going nuclear when you pop them...

SethAdarion said:
Anyway, one thing that bugged me about the Civilization IV civilopedia that you don't appear to address is that when you're on the pedia page for an advance like Feudalism that gives new civics like serfdom, you can't click on "serfdom" to bring it to the serfdom page to check it out, unless I'm doing it wrong.

You know...I hadn't ever noticed that. Unless I'm mistaken, I think each of the original topic pages were coded by different people using the same template--based on slight differences in how they went about making it work. Maybe some of them coded in links and some didn't.

Let me take a look...I don't think that should be too difficult to do. (BTW-- Those reference charts must have taken a lot of work! Personally, I still have a list of all the national wonders taped over my monitor! :) )

---------------------------------
Update: Okay-- I looked into what you're describing above, and all of my pages link through to other pages. I specifically looked at Feudalism and both civics can click through to the appropriate page. I'm not sure how you could possibly be "doing it wrong", though...all you have to do is click! Have you installed any other mods or anything that might be affecting how your civilopedia works? that's really a bizzare problem.

If anyone else out there is experience this let me know!

Hey Sevo, is there a way to move the "Back" "Next" "Top" and "Exit", to the top of the Civopdia, and the title to the bottom? If so, would you be able to change the text to something graphic, like an arrow for example? Just curious as it would be more convenient for me to have it that way.

This mod is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it possible to make the first column of items alphabeticaly sorted as well?

Gaias said:
Well leave it to Firaxis to change everything around to screw up your wonderful mod. :p So find out what Firaxis did to make the Civopedia different as to affect your mod so much?

I haven't been able to check my mod with the new patch yet--won't be back with my main #1 puter for a couple of days. As soon as I get back I'll patch the game and then get this mod up and running again! Sorry about the delay!

That is good to hear Sevo! :goodjob:
I mean it isn't that bad... as long as I limit myself to Technology, Units, and Buildings section of the Sevopedia... :lol:
Ok, ok... it bad, really bad. :p
Being the holidays and all I will give you some leniency, and give you until the new year to have it fix for me. But no longer! :D

Okay...first, the good news. In the updated civilopedia in the 1.5.2 patch, Firaxis revealed how to create a labelled scrolling list with icons in it. I was happy to see they had abandoned the images and put a table in instead, because it confirmed my suspicions that you couldn't label the original images the way they were. Anyway, bottom line, I've been able to add images to the list scroll! :D Here's the teaser screenshot:

They changed some of the enums, hence the reason the pages weren't linking through correctly. That's been fixed as well.

The other good (bad) news is that Firaxis also updated all of the pages themselves to include better linkthrough. Of course, this means I've got to go back and update all of my pages with the new code snippets. It won't be difficult but it's going to be time consuming, so it'll be a couple of days.

I'm also going to add a new page I saw over at Apolyton to the 'pedia, so it should be a nice upgrade.

Maybe Wednesday or so it'll be available.

Okay all. Version 1.8 is posted! Who-hoo! This is a pretty big upgrade and I think a far cry even from the new civilopedia.

Please let me know if any problems come up during gameplay.

I've talked with Vovan and he's working on a Unit Promotion chart like the Unit Upgrade chart. As soon as that's done it'll be incorporated as well.

Enjoy! :coffee:

Sevo said:
Okay all. Version 1.8 is posted! Who-hoo! This is a pretty big upgrade and I think a far cry even from the new civilopedia.

Please let me know if any problems come up during gameplay.

I've talked with Vovan and he's working on a Unit Promotion chart like the Unit Upgrade chart. As soon as that's done it'll be incorporated as well.

Enjoy! :coffee:

1.8 is great! I'll explore it more tomorrow (gotta sleep now) - thank you so much!

Hello Sevo,

Many thanks for the excellent pedia mod v1.8.

Question: What Folder to extract?
You mentioned the details above, but I'm a bit confused: To what exact folder should I point my Winzip utility to extract the your pedia mod if I want to use it automatically when I fire up Civ 4 (I don't want it to load via the mod screen everytime)

The reason I ask is I see that your mod with WinZip will automatically create the subfolders: Thus, should I point WinZip to \MyDocs\MyGames\cIV\CustomAssets\python\screens folder? WinZip will then in this specific\screens folder, I assume, create further folders ... \sevopedia\Assets\Python\Screens?

Or should I point the extraction utility to another specific folder?

Kindest regards and keep up the good work,

Charl
Stellenbosch, South Africa

EDIT QUESTION
Ahh, I see now, WinZip should point to the folder .../My Docs/My Games/cIV/CustomAssets. From within the CustomAssets folder WinZip, I assume, will create the necassary further folder structure .../sevopedia/Assets/Python/screens? Am I correct?

Your instructions in the included README file was thus:

Unpack the archive into the desired /assets/python/screens/ folder. For the vanilla cIV, you can do this in either /My Docs/My Games/cIV/CustomAssets/python/screens/ .. - Got a bit confused there. Apologies for bothering you.

WineCape,

In the archive, there is a directory called "Assets". This directory should be put under "My Documents\My Games\Civ4\CustomAssets". So yes, essentially if you extract the archive into CustomAssets, then it should all work. :)

Vovan

Top Bottom