RevolutionDCM for BTS

I am getting the same problem.
Just uploaded a slightly updated version of RevolutionDCM with the interface changes I highlighted in post 15. The versions of Revolutions and DCM are unchanged. I'm waiting for Dale's next release version 1.4
Cheers.

Uploaded again with version 0.31. Version 0.3 had some of the "buggy" components of DCM disabled. They are all re-enabled again in 0.31. Dales implementation of "archer bombardment", air bomber missions and stack attack are not absolutely perfect as of version 1.3. Ranged bombardment, intercept, battle effects and opportunity fire are pretty darn good except battle effects can sometimes persist too long in rare cases.
Cheers.

Hey glider,

This is great of you to put these together. What version of Revolutions is currently included? Jdog recently released version 1.4, will this be updated to include it if it has not been already?

Thanks.

Hey glider,
This is great of you to put these together. What version of Revolutions is currently included? Jdog recently released version 1.4, will this be updated to include it if it has not been already?
Thanks.

Thanks for that Amra. Yeah it's a superb combination, Revolutions and DCM. As it stands now both versions are 1.3. As soon as Dale get's 1.4 working, I'll merge with Jdog's latest and upload.

I recommend playing on Terra maps. That way you get to enjoy Jdog's great innovations on barbarian civs, with minor civs popping up as well in the new world. It is a great map type for Revolutions.

I'm currently into about 350 turns of normal speed game and as it stands the mod is great. There is an interesting "phenomenon" that I would love Jdog to incorporate into Revolutions but that would be pointless without DCM. Because of DCM's battle field effects, you can get into an interesting situation where two warring civs fight a war on your territory damaging the country around one of your cities for many turns. If you as leader did nothing about it by breaking up the fight between them, your citizens in that city should be entitled to revolt I think. They could hypothetically overthrow your rule in that city and close borders with the two warring parties, using a newly spawned rebel leader that makes the decision about open border policies and stops the warring. However this cannot happen in reality because the Revolutions code is not aware of DCM (yet). I should talk to Jdog about it.

Whatever even now in version RevolutionDCM0.2 it adds an unexpected strategy yet again, do you stop the war because of the battle field damage by closing borders with the two warring parties? It can hit your own productivity pretty hard.

Cheers.

@glider1

This sounds like an exciting game indeed! I have a lot of fun playing Rev1.4 and I am glad your adviser screens were included there. I guess you also suggested including civ4lerts, so thanks a lot for this. I am looking forward for your next release of the combined 1.4 version of both mods.

@Amra

As Glider said Revolution really shines on Terra maps. For best results start with less than the default number of civ for the map size. On huge map start with only 4 or 6 then watch the old world gets alive and filled with new civs. One even better way to experience Revolution in action is playing one of the maps jdog adapted for the mod. They are found here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=259824

Thanks glider1 & Kalimakhus for the info. :goodjob:

@glider1
I've had some requests (including from kalimakhus) to merge my modpack with both Revolution & DCM and I was wondering if I could use your next version that would include DCM 1.4 and combine it with my Basic modpack that is out now. With big credit to you in my forum, of course. :D

That would save me a lot of effort and, I'm sure, head banging against the wall frustration. :wallbash: Thanks in advance.

Thanks glider1 & Kalimakhus for the info. :goodjob:
@glider1
I've had some requests (including from kalimakhus) to merge my modpack with both Revolution & DCM and I was wondering if I could use your next version that would include DCM 1.4 and combine it with my Basic modpack that is out now. With big credit to you in my forum, of course. :D

That would save me a lot of effort and, I'm sure, head banging against the wall frustration. :wallbash: Thanks in advance.

Yeah no problem. RevolutionDCM was pretty much intended to be kept tight for such a purpose as you describe. Remember I'm just the hack. The real champions are Jdog, Dom Pedro II, Dale, Bhruic etc.

The one thing I have to remember is to keep RevolutionDCM tight. I have been tempted to include "Better Ship Scale" because I think it does a much better job at rendering ship scale than vanilla. However that might end up polluting other mods when it is incorporated in large "scale mods" such as yours. I guess if you wanted you could retrofit RevolutionDCM and remove "Better Ship Scale" if it clashes with yours. What do you think?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Dale's 1.4 release. Jdog releases much more regularly.

Cheers.

I'd love for this mod to include the Influence Driven Combat mod :D

I played 1 game so far as the Holy Romans. It's 1975 or so and there is a raging war against Arabia. It looks like a world war with all of the accumulated vassals on both sides. Initially there were only.. 9 civs, but now it's up to around 24 with all the revolutions :) I didn't really appreciate the impact of DCM until the Arab's produced a stack with 18 artillery units in it. Talk about unstoppable!!! While sitting outside of 1 of my cities I tried bombarding them with my 2 arty units.. the counter battery fire nearly wiped out all of my defenders :( Needless to say they took the city, so I've been largely ignoring them and instead taking out his Eastern vassals.

Oh, and a big difference vs graphics intensive mods (eg Amra's BtS Basic), no "out of memory" problems :) Keeping fingers crossed..

1 change I will suggest is to reduce the potency of balloons. They are overpowered to begin with, but DCM makes it even worse with the support they provide. Isn't there supposed to be a max collateral damage limit? In DCM there really can be a "killer stack", so I think part of using DCM has to be better tuning of units with bombardment.

Oh, and a big difference vs graphics intensive mods (eg Amra's BtS Basic), no "out of memory" problems :) Keeping fingers crossed

You raise a good point there. At least this merge keeps all the best game play of BTS while still being playable for people with two year old machines and without broadband connections (My game is in the modern era with 28 nations and is sucking just over a gig of ram....Therefore older machines would need at least 1.5 gig).......

On the artillery stack, I take it you had no cavarly......

On the airship and bombardment observation, post that on the DCM forum. You may have a point.......

Cheers.

glider,
from your merging experience what is changed in the civilization and unitinfos.xml? I want to merge this with my personal mod which uses varietas delectat.
Thx

Between BTS and RevolutionDCM there's at least a dozen real changes to do with air units especially bombers and the addition of an A-bomber. The merge with delectat shouldn't be too bad although I'm not familiar with it.

It would be nice to combine RevolutionDCM with delectat, another quality mod. Are you aware that there exists such a merge already?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8227

Cheers

though I may have to start fresh.

The good news is that the Revolutions component of RevDCM doesn't interfere with any unit definitions and the DCM component only stuffs around with the unit definitions a little. I'm only guessing but VD would not stuff around at all with the C++ DLL (assumption) and only adds to the assets like XML etc (assumption). VD wouldn't even stuff around with Python would it? If that's the case, then if you WinMerge compared VD with RevDCM, WinMerge should really only be reporting a heap of changes to the XML and other assets (assumption)!

If VD only stuffs with the unitinfos.xml file even better, then you could just do a merge of RevDCM unitinfos into VD unitinfos and then copy all VD's assets and unitinfos.xml back into RevDCM and you'd be done. :crazyeye: That would be achievable in an hour of work?

If I had a better internet connection I'd knock up a version for both of us because I think VD would be nice with RevDCM, but that won't happen when the only connection I've got to the internet is via a mobile phone!:blush:

Cheers.

glider,

i 've looked through VD 3.6 and your mod. I think your unitinfos.xml can replace the vd one with no problem and the vd unitartdefines can replace yours except for the missing atomic art defines that needs to be added at the end (VD uses the better ship scale which I prefer). Over the next few days I'll attempt a merge and let you know how it goes.

glider, Over the next few days I'll attempt a merge and let you know how it goes.

I'll have out a new RevolutionDCM in the next day or two which will updated for DCM 1.5 and Revolutions 1.4. It's currently compiling now and just needs some basic testing.

Cheers.

Sweet...now all I need is Amras combined with the latest update of your mod, Glider and I'll have CIV V!

I'll have out a new RevolutionDCM in the next day or two which will updated for DCM 1.5 and Revolutions 1.4. It's currently compiling now and just needs some basic testing.

Cheers.

:cool: When you release i'll attempt a nerge and post what needs to happen.

Top Bottom