House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

Replace "whine" with "cry", if you like.

And where's the point in investing time, nerves, and technical skills to do something which can also be done with a short provided piece of JS? There's no point. Doing it in the easiest way is totally legit.

The way it sounded it seemed like they were going to turn it completely off. Not pop up a giant ad. It's disappointing.

Replace "whine" with "cry", if you like.

And where's the point in investing time, nerves, and technical skills to do something which can also be done with a short provided piece of JS? There's no point. Doing it in the easiest way is totally legit.
Right, but they didn't do it, because Wikipedia is still perfectly accessible. Which means whatever it was they did, it was something other than participating in the blackout/strike/whajamacall it. So you can see why people are, if not annoyed, at least a bit perplexed.

Right, but they didn't do it, because Wikipedia is still perfectly accessible. Which means whatever it was they did, it was something other than participating in the blackout/strike/whajamacall it. So you can see why people are, if not annoyed, at least a bit perplexed.

To be honest it makes me feel ways traitorfish, it makes me feel ways.

Right, but they didn't do it, because Wikipedia is still perfectly accessible.

For the people who know to get around it.
Normally I'd say that people, who know how to turn Javascript off, are also aware of what SOPA and PIPA are.
Because it's everywhere mentioned how to get around it, I now rather suspect that more people know how to circumvent it than there are people who actually read about what the heck is going on there.
If this is really the case...the people get the government which they deserve, right?
Might be better if the big net corps move their HQs to Iceland.

I thought Iceland collapsed?

Normally I'd say that people, who know how to turn Javascript off, are also aware of what SOPA and PIPA are.
Because it's everywhere mentioned how to get around it, I now rather suspect that more people know how to circumvent it than there are people who actually read about what the heck is going on there.
That's a fair point.

The blackout is meant to inform people about SOPA, not prevent them from accessing information.

And its worked, its on the front page of news sites and talked about on the television news where it had been mostly ignored before.

I'm seeing quotes of the bill's supporters saying this is just a "publicity stunt". Such weak criticism suggests supporters aren't going to be winning the PR battle today.

Not entirely. Big companies such as Blizzard are less likely to keep putting out the awesome material Blizzard is known to put out. (wow, Blizzard is sounding exactly like the ideal girlfriend.... :D ) More piracy = less profit = less money to hire decent programmers.
Actually, the fun part is that it seems that more piracy = more profits, considering piracy acts as a large-scale "real" demo and make much more people aware of a product and able to test it.

The fight on online piracy. Just because SOPA might not have been the best worded bill doesn't mean the general idea of a SOPA type bill is bad. PROTECT IP Act in general is the right ideal.

we should be honest, a sizable amount of these people are PRO online piracy. Online piracy kill PC gaming the last decade. And yet you can see people in this claiming online piracy doesn't hurt sales. Yea, ok.
No, what kills PC gaming is actually the opposite : it's the "large market", making it more profitable to make shallow, dumbed-down game for the crowd. The piracy is just a pathetic excuse.

According to this random article I got from typing in "Congress person's stance on SOPA", Minority leader Pelosi is one of the few Democrats speaking out against SOPA.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

Pelosi is a shining example of how campaign contributions do not always correspond with congressmen's stance on SOPA and PIPA. The longtime California representative, who has received almost $170,000 in campaign contributions from the entertainment industry in 2008, voiced her opposition to SOPA only weeks after it was introduced in the House.

"Need to find a better solution than #SOPA #DontBreakTheInternet", Pelosi tweeted in response to a question about her position on November 17. That same day, her office released a statement saying that while the congresswoman supports protecting intellectual property, "the Internet, human rights, and cybersecurity communities have raised concerns that SOPA doesn't strike the right balance that protects the needs of copyright holders and Internet users alike."

And its worked, its on the front page of news sites and talked about on the television news where it had been mostly ignored before.

I'm seeing quotes of the bill's supporters saying this is just a "publicity stunt". Such weak criticism suggests supporters aren't going to be winning the PR battle today.

Problem is that the supporters have all the money and so all the influence

As I said, the check from the MPAA & RIAA cleared.

Yes, I am that cynical.

I can do without Wikipedia for one day. Some people on the Cheezburger Network are making some rather good lols about SOPA. I've saved as many as I can find, so if you're curious, click the link in my sig that will take you to my page. If you click the "Favorites" tab, you should be able to find them.

I clicked on the link, and the page won't load. :(

Well, this is somewhat hilarious. Zach Weiner, writer of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, is protesting SOPA with this page... which has an explanation that links to several Wikipedia articles, which of course just redirect to Wikipedia's message about SOPA. :lol:

This. I'm actually glad that wikipedia is not entirely inaccessible. That would really be hammering the point too hard if their goal is to raise awareness.

For one day...what's one day?
If someone really can't live a single day without Wikipedia...

Well, this is somewhat hilarious. Zach Weiner, writer of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, is protesting SOPA with this page... which has an explanation that links to several Wikipedia articles, which of course just redirect to Wikipedia's message about SOPA. :lol:

:goodjob:

He's not the only one.
On xkcd:

xkcd

Im worried about misinformation and panic spreading. And people twisting it. How many people affected by the blackout and looking for information will really understand what its about? What if someone is on the fence and they just end up irritated by the blackout and thus are pushed to the wrong side of the fence?

Top Bottom