Brazil discussion thread

"I am Pedro, emperor of Brazil. I have little time for jokes. What brings you here?"
"Eu sou Pedro, imperador do Brasil. Tenho pouco tempo para gracejos. O que o traz aqui?"

It's almost the same as the written line.:)

Let's agree to disagree countryman. The used "pleasantries" is the correct translation for gracejos and not the blunt "jokes". It would be more so if he had said amenidades, but that was not the case and the Firaxis translation stands perfect as it is.

Let's agree to disagree countryman. The used "pleasantries" is the correct translation for gracejos and not the blunt "jokes". It would be more so if he had said amenidades, but that was not the case and the Firaxis translation stands perfect as it is.

Well, I've got the translation for pleasantaries and gracejos from Google Translator, i'll have to admit.:lol:

Made a little research: pleasantries would be a formal way to say jokes, as gracejos is for piadas. You're right.

Clearly you have no idea what Brazil is really about. There are less than an handful of countries, in this planet, that represent humanity - at its best and worse - as well as Brazil. In America, that's the US and Brazil. And, perhaps, in the whole world, they're the best examples at that.

Why am I saying this? Because Brazil and the US is what you have when you start a country anew in a new continent, settled by people from all Earth continents (bar Antarctica, of course), some looking for a new opportunity - a piece of the American dream -, others by force - a piece of the American nightmare.

Considering Brazil is, today, more relevant, economically speaking than the United Kingdom, considering Brazil, as I've mentioned, encompasses in its territory a cultural and human legacy few other countries do, and considering civilization, even if human, has never been fully detached from nature, a country with such natural legacy as Brazil clearly has a place in the Civ series.

I mean, the mere fact alone Brazil is a BRIC country, has a massive weight in a great part of the world (the Portuguese and Spanish speaking world), and has an unique, thriving culture (similar to the "staple" Portuguese culture, but different nonetheless), speaks alone.

I'm also saddened by a few Brazilians in here. I think it takes a foreign (as far as a Portuguese can be "foreign" in Brazil) to really understand how unique you are... and Civilization isn't completely made out of armies. Not to mention that, even on that, you're a force to be reckoned with - at least today, and relatively to its time, especially during the late stage of the Empire of Brazil and the United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil.

Brazilian soldiers HAVE conquered Madrid in the past. Only they were called Portuguese back then (and most were European Portuguese either way, but the General spent most of his life in Brazil, and so did many officials and soldiers). Fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/António_Luís_de_Sousa,_2nd_Marquis_of_Minas

P.S - I feel the Fatherland Volunteers will be the UU, because, as I've said, they were active during Pedro II reign. The Bandeirantes are, more than anything, a symbol of São Paulo, Portugal and the Portuguese Empire. So we'll see...

Moderator Action: Please report posts rather than answer them and let the staff handle it. To accuse someone of trolling is to be a troll. If you quote something offensive in your post, you are just as responsible for it. Removed offensive stuff.

Edit: Do you think the inclusion of Brazil will mean Coffee is added as a luxury? I've always thought that would be a logical inclusion in the Civ series.

I think a coffee resource would be great. The civ series has always missed out on a few important resources in world history, and coffee is definitely one of them. Maybe the Brazilian UA/UI/UB will even feature coffee?

I liked his office. The style of the windows, venezianas, are very brazilian.

Also, theres no silly stereotypy, like beaches or forests.

I like the office too. It's very much Brazilian - or at least tropical-looking for those of us who don't know the finer details of Latin American architecture - without being stereotypical.

Not to mention that it clearly fits Pedro's personality. Fireaxis probably researched well on Pedro II.

To be surprised his office is gloomy is not knowing how a nightmare his life was during his last years... and the white beard clearly indicates that those are his last years indeed. A great leader with a tragic ending, and a scar on Brazil's history. And it's not every time you find a monarch who is a reclusive Republican - only he was afraid of who were the Republicans in Brazil, as he ought be, considering what happened after Dom Pedro II fled back to Portugal, after the Republican revolution in Brazil.

Ivoyared: I know, I was just mentioning other options. Personally, I'd like to see the bandeirantes because they sound very funny to be played (get workers from combat? tile acquisition through war? so many options, the guys, even though a symbol of Sao Vicente, were very versatile!), even though not being the best representative unit for our Country.

Also hoping for some coffee!

One last thing: Is the color scheme the opposite of Arabia or light green and a weird blue? Kind of hard to say by the screenie, I think it is the first option

Edit: Do you think the inclusion of Brazil will mean Coffee is added as a luxury? I've always thought that would be a logical inclusion in the Civ series.

I don't know about that, but we have already got the Coffee House and still have no coffee resource in the game.. :crazyeye:

But, coffee as a resource is a great addition..

Well, I'm really happy to see 2 Civs (so far) making debuts in the series! Happy for all the Brazil backers, but I was a just a little disappointed that it wasn't Gran Columbia. I wanted Bolivar as a leader so bad! Oh well, Pedro II looks awesome and Brazil fits into the tourism and trading better than Gran Columbia would have. I'm still hoping for a third expansion or dlc after this one. I know it might be overkill, but they keep explicitly saying "second" expansion instead of final.

To be surprised his office is gloomy is not knowing how a nightmare his life was during his last years... and the white beard clearly indicates that those are his last years indeed. A great leader with a tragic ending, and a scar on Brazil's history. And it's not every time you find a monarch who is a reclusive Republican - only he was afraid of who were the Republicans in Brazil, as he ought be, considering what happened after Dom Pedro II fled back to Portugal, after the Republican revolution in Brazil.

For what I know,he's far from being a scar to Brazil's history . His achievement were very important to transform a fragile and bankrupt country that faced the threat of being divided,just like other latin american countries into a stable and modern country and although slavery was legal during his reing,he was working very hard to end it . Unfortinately,the price he paid for his work was also as big as his achievements .

Clearly you have no idea what Brazil is really about. There are less than an handful of countries, in this planet, that represent humanity - at its best and worse - as well as Brazil. In America, that's the US and Brazil. And, perhaps, in the whole world, they're the best examples at that.

Why am I saying this? Because Brazil and the US is what you have when you start a country anew in a new continent, settled by people from all Earth continents (bar Antarctica, of course), some looking for a new opportunity - a piece of the American dream -, others by force - a piece of the American nightmare.

Considering Brazil is, today, more relevant, economically speaking than the United Kingdom, considering Brazil, as I've mentioned, encompasses in its territory a cultural and human legacy few other countries do, and considering civilization, even if human, has never been fully detached from nature, a country with such natural legacy as Brazil clearly has a place in the Civ series.

I mean, the mere fact alone Brazil is a BRIC country, has a massive weight in a great part of the world (the Portuguese and Spanish speaking world), and has an unique, thriving culture (similar to the "staple" Portuguese culture, but different nonetheless), speaks alone.

I'm also saddened by a few Brazilians in here. I think it takes a foreign (as far as a Portuguese can be "foreign" in Brazil) to really understand how unique you are... and Civilization isn't completely made out of armies. Not to mention that, even on that, you're a force to be reckoned with - at least today, and relatively to its time, especially during the late stage of the Empire of Brazil and the United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil.

Brazilian soldiers HAVE conquered Madrid in the past. Only they were called Portuguese back then (and most were European Portuguese either way, but the General spent most of his life in Brazil, and so did many officials and soldiers). Fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/António_Luís_de_Sousa,_2nd_Marquis_of_Minas

P.S - I feel the Fatherland Volunteers will be the UU, because, as I've said, they were active during Pedro II reign. The Bandeirantes are, more than anything, a symbol of São Paulo, Portugal and the Portuguese Empire. So we'll see...

I'm sorry, but I just have to say something. I consider the CIV community to be by far the most well educated group of people on the entire internet in relation to the relevance of their subject of interest, that being a mere video game. I feel two inches taller just being a part of it, no joke. I'm amazed by the level of the discussions in some of the threads in these foruns. But honest to God, I can't take any references to Wikipedia or Google Translator no more. It's just embarassing. To all of us here. Google Translator is a valid tool, I use it myself. But it is not meant to be used the way people use it. At the hands of someone with very good knowledge of both languages, it can be usefull, in a very basic way. Used by someone that doesn't know one of the languages, it's a linguistic trap and will more often than not lead to misunderstandings. Let's use each other in these foruns, not Google Translator.

As for Wikipedia, I don't really know what to say. We all know what Wikipedia is and how it's entries come to be. Of course we can check it out, it's not all rubbish, it's entertaining and can point us in the right direction, but to see people defending their points in the forums all full of themselves like they KNOW that's true because they saw it, they lived it, (or they read it in a proper book) when in fact they just read it on Wikipedia a few minutes ago (and everyone can tell it too) it's jus beyond pathetic. Wikipedia as a reference source don't fly in college people, it really shouldn't here.

Moderator Action: There would be less of a need to use Google translate if English translations were provided as required by the forum rules. You may post in Portuguese but you must provide an English translation. This would also reduce misunderstandings created by the use of translation tools.

I'm sorry, but I just have to say something. I consider the CIV community to be by far the most well educated group of people on the entire internet in relation to the relevance of their subject of interest, that being a mere video game. I feel two inches taller just being a part of it, no joke. I'm amazed by the level of the discussions in some of the threads in these foruns. But honest to God, I can't take any references to Wikipedia or Google Translator no more. It's just embarassing. To all of us here. Google Translator is a valid tool, I use it myself. But it is not meant to be used the way people use it. At the hands of someone with very good knowledge of both languages, it can be usefull, in a very basic way. Used by someone that doesn't know one of the languages, it's a linguistic trap and will more often than not lead to misunderstandings. Let's use each other in these foruns, not Google Translator.

As for Wikipedia, I don't really know what to say. We all know what Wikipedia is and how it's entries come to be. Of course we can check it out, it's not all rubbish, it's entertaining and can point us in the right direction, but to see people defending their points in the forums all full of themselves like they KNOW that's true because they saw it, they lived it, (or they read it in a proper book) when in fact they just read it on Wikipedia a few minutes ago (and everyone can tell it too) it's jus beyond pathetic. Wikipedia as a reference source don't fly in college people, it really shouldn't here.

That was unnecessary.

http://www.sitiodolivro.pt/pt/livro/conquista-de-madrid-1706/9789728799083/

Go ahead, spend away 23€, buy João Vieira Borges' work on the Portuguese/Brazilian invasion of Madrid, and recheck my whole post. I bought it. It's worth it, it offers a great insight into the War of the Spanish Succession.

Just in case you also want to know who's João Vieira Borge (a well-known historian on Iberian 18/19th century armies) so you make sure I'm not pulling this out of my arse, go here.

http://www.wook.pt/authors/detail/id/10127

Or just go straight ahead and contact Azores University, where he had is PHD.

More ridiculous than Wikipedia is the blind hate on it. So may I go ahead and ask your sources on why that particular Wikipedia article is... sourceless? It didn't occur to you that I may have studied this (even if not having, necessarily, a college degree on it), or did you?

I've been here since 2008, even if I seldom come here to be honest, and well, all you're saying on the civfanatics community sounds all pretty and that, but I'm probably guessing that if you're an example of it, well, we do have a problem here.

Does every topic in this forum flare up?

Calm down - Brazil's in the game, nothing you can do about it (If you want to or not - I'm not entirely sure). The devs obviously felt they were deserving of the spot, so we just need to wait and see what attributes they have.

I understand your reaction, and I apologize. Not for a minute I meant to attack your post (so I shouldn't have quoted it) nor that particular wiki entry you linked. I just meant less to no Wikipedia references, that's all, and I stand by it.

EDIT: and there it is, first it was Coimbra, now is Azores, research on the fly. It's ok man, I'm not checking anything out and I'm not picking on you. If anything I can tell you're more educated than me. My point is the gap between the glory of the statements and the fragility of the sources calls for less glorious statements and not necessarily better sources. I'm outta this thread now.

I almost swore he had his doctorate in Coimbra, not in the Azores, then again it doesn't change a bit of what I said: both are credited institutions for all I know. And I promptly fixed it, lest you see it and make a fuss - turns out you did either way!

No need for less glorious statements as they weren't that glorious anyway (countries invading other countries in European history? How come??) and they were sourced.

I'm out of this thread as well, I've had enough with this.

Happy to see Brazil. Truthfully, I'm happy about all the inclusions so far in BNW, each of them have never been in a Civ game. Now if Dai-Viet was in the game I could not wish for anything more.

I'm totally stoked with Brazil. I was rooting for them to be included. Now let's have a Tom Jobim tune as a Great Work!!!!!!

(although let it not be Girl from Ipanema....)

EDIT: I fear copyright protection may prevent any Tom Jobim song from being included, lest they may actually have to pay royalties

I do not think Brazil will have UU because I've never heard about wars where Brazil partcipated.

First things which come to mind - they should have UniqueImprovements (engenho?) and UB - football stadium :)))

engenho may have double output so you can trade more - seems consistent with their history

I do not think Brazil will have UU because I've never heard about wars where Brazil partcipated.

Really? You've never heard of World War 1 or 2? Brazil fought in both, as well as several other local wars (Including the War of the Triple Alliance, featured as the main component of a large Age of Empires 3 mod) and frequently contributes to UN peacekeeping missions. There hasn't been a single Civ to not have a UU yet, so I'd expect Brazil to still have one

Ethanol Plant would make a good UB for Brazil, I think...
Ethanol Plant - Turns each plot of Wheat or sugar worked by a city into 2 oil. Brazil is big on its Ethanol.

Top Bottom