Share Your First BNW Experiences Here

also a side note if you eliminated all the civs then you will be broke because trade caravans do not generate gold with your own cities

there need to be some serious balance fixes

I mean make it so trade caravans at least generate some gold with your own cities

aren't city connections still giving gold?

is that a new buffalo religion icon? nice to see they added some more options there! any more new religions besides those from Christianity's schism? something for the Zulu, maybe?

Sorry to disappoint, but no, the buffalo religion icon thingy is a mod. Something like G&K More Religions... or something... the name escapes me at the moment.

You wipe out all of the civs and now you expect to have a gold economy after you have done so? Why?

Yeah, anything that gives you ways to win the game that might discourage you from just going to war and helping yourself to all the AI's cities doesn't sound like it needs fixing IMO.

On the topic of trade routes.
I am seriously reluctant to trade with other major civs because if I am ahead in tech, then they gain a pretty nice bump in their science research. I'd rather keep the trade to the city states, which generate the same amount of income.

Also, AI Venice seems so sad. It's trying to pretend that it's a major civ, but no one seems to really pay much attention to them.

the AIs are ultra passive (on Prince) and fail mega hard at improving their lands.

also a side note if you eliminated all the civs then you will be broke because trade caravans do not generate gold with your own cities

there need to be some serious balance fixes

I mean make it so trade caravans at least generate some gold with your own cities

You can trade with the city states. I don't know how trading with yourself would result in more gold; your nation has a set amount of worth until it exports or imports something.

I find myself pushing back NC to accommodate trade units and the different guilds. I think I'll try a new game with a 1-2 city NC empire and see how that works.

I got chills when I met Enrico. His body language reminds me of the Emperor. I felt lucky to get out of there without getting a lethal dose of Force Lightning.

You wipe out all of the civs and now you expect to have a gold economy after you have done so? Why?

Because now your empire is self sufficient XD

Anyways, for those fortunate enough to have the new XP, can you answer me a little tid bit? What does the Parthenon do and when (tech wise) you unlock it?
Thanks!

First Game Shoshone cultural victory on Prince. Man is cultural victory far more fun and engaging. I sat on 4 cities and barely fought and still did twice as much as under old cultural victories. Brazil took forever to take down so killing a culture rival in a culture game is now heavily incentivized. Add in ability to go wide and have conquest be meaningful and that victory condition is coming out of the attic.

Aesthetics is a great policy tree. I can see it being absolutely deadly with a Piety opening. The ability to buy GWAM is very useful for Theming bonuses which mostly want GWAM from same era. A wide culture game with cheap religious and cultural buildings and the land for archaeological treasures is very interesting. With 3 separate counters your faith can go a lot farther.

Trading is absolutely essential to money making. I had 4 coastal cities on Pangaea and no real ocean access. Cost me some money. I found I had less money in early and late game with less tile gold. It also hurt my culture game as it was hard to reach civs for trading route bonuses to tourism. With sea routes being so powerful I found treasure fleets really useful, which might strengthen Exploration.

Oh and for those hoping for a happiness nerf, both zoo and stadium have lost happiness. Add in potential ideological unhappiness and late game might actually be happy challenged on higher levels.

I find Freedom a bit overpowered. It has the best ideology wonder, great tenets, and is the most versatile. A worrying trend is that EVERY AI chose Order, even Shaka. In Maddjinn's stream there was a preponderance of Order civs as well. Since the Majority of AIs spam cities even on Prince it seems they are predisposed to Order. Small sample size so not worried yet. Have other people found the same. Another reason Freedom is great is Great Person tiles are quite strong in culture games. You can add culture to them that converts easily to tourism which is

For World Congress, if you play on a low level and are smart you can dominate it all game. Made sure to found it and immediately proposed my religion as world. With Forbidden Palace, and host benefits could almost vote it in myself. Had no religion mates to force it and still managed to get it in by bribing religionless Zulu. From there it was gravy.

Parthenon is now Terracotta with some of the culture from a great work. It has 4 :c5culture: and a prefilled GW art slot. Quite useful for early tourism. It comes at Drama and Poetry if I recall.

edit. Insanely. You go into tourism section to the left tab. I think its called your culture. It shows all your buildings with GW slots. You can pick an GW and move it to any slot in your empire. Keep an eye on it so you don't lose theming bonuses.

"They tolerate warmongers?"
Spoiler :

I played an easier game just to get the feel. I couldn't resist the temptation to try out those Siege Towers. They're pretty powerful, but they work like Battering Rams. So I ripped through one civ and started on another when Maria denounced me. When I took her last city there was that message about them tolerating warmongers. I'm pretty sure I saw a bright red diplo hit with her on the very first DoW. I don't know what to make of that.

Anyway, the lack of gold is the biggest shock. I tried to get a cargo ship out quick and it got raided by barbs about four turns later. Speaking of barbs, I saw barb horsemen and swords. I didn't expect that.

The other mistake I made was testing Liberty. I knew better and did it anyway. The AI all went tall and and wonder-crazy. Maria goes for the Oracle like Pacal.

What else. Oh, the gold from plundering caravans during war is pretty good.

Self-sufficient for what purpose? A civ cannot magically produce something out of nothing. Besides, the game should not be designed for those will not win (I.e. building a self-sufficient civ on a map all by itself, that's silly).

First Game Shoshone cultural victory on Prince. Man is cultural victory far more fun and engaging. I sat on 4 cities and barely fought and still did twice as much as under old cultural victories. Brazil took forever to take down so killing a culture rival in a culture game is now heavily incentivized. Add in ability to go wide and have conquest be meaningful and that victory condition is coming out of the attic.

Aesthetics is a great policy tree. I can see it being absolutely deadly with a Piety opening. The ability to buy GWAM is very useful for Theming bonuses which mostly want GWAM from same era. A wide culture game with cheap religious and cultural buildings and the land for archaeological treasures is very interesting. With 3 separate counters your faith can go a lot farther.

Trading is absolutely essential to money making. I had 4 coastal cities on Pangaea and no real ocean access. Cost me some money. I found I had less money in early and late game with less tile gold. It also hurt my culture game as it was hard to reach civs for trading route bonuses to tourism. With sea routes being so powerful I found treasure fleets really useful, which might strengthen Exploration.

Oh and for those hoping for a happiness nerf, both zoo and stadium have lost happiness. Add in potential ideological unhappiness and late game might actually be happy challenged on higher levels.

I find Freedom a bit overpowered. It has the best ideology wonder, great tenets, and is the most versatile. A worrying trend is that EVERY AI chose Order, even Shaka. In Maddjinn's stream there was a preponderance of Order civs as well. Since the Majority of AIs spam cities even on Prince it seems they are predisposed to Order. Small sample size so not worried yet. Have other people found the same. Another reason Freedom is great is Great Person tiles are quite strong in culture games. You can add culture to them that converts easily to tourism which is

For World Congress, if you play on a low level and are smart you can dominate it all game. Made sure to found it and immediately proposed my religion as world. With Forbidden Palace, and host benefits could almost vote it in myself. Had no religion mates to force it and still managed to get it in by bribing religionless Zulu. From there it was gravy.

Hm, i haven't played the game yet but it looked like order could be really good for tourism? I know there's two bonuses in there for it and one helps against other order civs. So if the AI is all order it would be great and even if they're not, you'll try to be converting them to order and that policy will help keep them under your influence.

What was your strategy with freedom?

Gali, I would hope at higher levels one would have to fight for every delegates and having to make hard choices on what proposals to support or not.

"They tolerate warmongers?"
Spoiler :

I played an easier game just to get the feel. I couldn't resist the temptation to try out those Siege Towers. They're pretty powerful, but they work like Battering Rams. So I ripped through one civ and started on another when Maria denounced me. When I took her last city there was that message about them tolerating warmongers. I'm pretty sure I saw a bright red diplo hit with her on the very first DoW. I don't know what to make of that.

Anyway, the lack of gold is the biggest shock. I tried to get a cargo ship out quick and it got raided by barbs about four turns later. Speaking of barbs, I saw barb horsemen and swords. I didn't expect that.

The other mistake I made was testing Liberty. I knew better and did it anyway. The AI all went tall and and wonder-crazy. Maria goes for the Oracle like Pacal.

What else. Oh, the gold from plundering caravans during war is pretty good.

So basicly warmonger penalty hasn't changed? Or does it have a other meaning the modifier

Oh and one thing I noticed:
Exploration Opener does NOT give movement point for embarked units, unlike the old Commerce-Naval Tradition Policy. The wording is the same though, "+1 Movement point for Naval units."
Don't know if this was intended.

Top Bottom