Civ4 Demogame IV

We want to go for a difficulty higher than what we would normally do as individuals. Working with other players will improve our decisions, we don't want this game to be too easy. I'd support Emperor.

I like the idea of a map with an isolated barbarian continent. I do like tectonic maps, however I'm not sure we'd want to use one of those if it requires us to use a modified earth map.

Despite experiences in DG II I'm a supporter of official offices. I believe they have an important role in guiding the discussion of topics. An office holder should propose a plan and submit it to the citizenry who criticize and amend it. It's not necessary that an office have the ability to make arbitrary decisions, in fact it should be avoided. Without official offices it would be very difficult for the orders to be known and finalized without a poll for every section of the orders before every move. With official offices, orders can be written by the office holder, amended by consensus, and passed onto the D.P. without a lengthy polling process a majority of the time.

It seems there's a consensus on not having official offices. This might be interesting for the early part of the game, when a more anarchical system would make R.P. sense. Later in the game It may be necessary to move to a more formalized system as moves become more complex and greater organization is required.

We should poll the difficulty level and get a general consensus from the citizenry. I will also open a thread to discuss leader/civilization. While we work these two issues out lets get the rules finalized.
The citizenry have spoken and they want an Oligarchic Council. As I am sure most of us know Oligarchy literally means "Rule by the few". This can be looked at in two different ways, a few citizens hold power and dictate the decision making or the whole citizenry are the few that rule the population of civcitizens. I am more in favor of the latter and allow all citizens to take a position on the council if they want to. Spreading out the roles and responsibilities to the citizens that want them without the red tape of election cycles. The roles and responsibilities taken by each councilor should not be exclusionary and should be more of a leadership role than an official position. Charged with overseeing a particular thread and drumming up discussion. A discussion summary for the DP would be voluntary but encouraged to help carry the workload, especially as the game progresses.
As for the Designated Player I am in favor of a Councilor General (name to change once civ is chosen). Chosen by the council, he or she would be responsible for playing the save and would not have a term limit. As long as he/she is willing to play and the council is content with their performance. IMO the Council General should not be binded by the recommendations of the councilors. If you are chosen to be the DP then we should have faith in your decision making under the advice of the council.

I agree with all that: all players represent the government oligarchy, pick your post and shove stupid elections, the Councilor General is not bound by the advice of the players but better have a damn good reason for ignoring a majority consensus, and Councilor General is a terrible title that will have to be fixed once we settle on a civ.

and Councilor General is a terrible title that will have to be fixed once we settle on a civ.

I know :lol: . Was gonna go with Chairman but it sounded to ChinaCom.It will be easier to name the council and leader after we have a civ.

I actually like Councilor General, it sounds very official. However I remember in DGII we would elect a list of DPs so that turnsets could be scheduled with less concern for any one individuals time constraints. Are we planing on only having one DP, or will there be a group of them? It's not unusual for a player to go absent without an announcement, and I'd hate for that to happen to the lone DP mid term.

Are we planing on only having one DP, or will there be a group of them? It's not unusual for a player to go absent without an announcement, and I'd hate for that to happen to the lone DP mid term.

There will be just one at a time but a backup is always necessary. A Vice or Regent to stand ready if the DP should fall short of his duties. A pool would also work, if a DP can't make it just go to the next name on the list.

The run-off polls are up and the leaders are tied again. Citizens of DemoGame IV vote now or we will never get this game started :eek: .

Game Settings (thus far)
Leader- Hammurabi (Agg/Org)
Civilization- Russia (tech=Hunting/Mining,UU=Cossack,UB=Research Institute)
Game Difficulty- Emperor
Map- Terra (do we need a poll? ;) )
Map Size- Large
Game Speed- Epic

Now that we have our leader and civilization we can begin naming the council and DP.

So, are we to nominate people, or will we use the list you posted and add to that?

For Designated Player (DP), I would nominate Lord Civius, one of the best Designated Players I have seen.

Thirded, and I second all those game settings.

i fifth it...

second thing i would like you start thinking if we should we take over the POLLS ,RPG, GAMEPLAY and CITIZENS sub forums as the game start ?

I would say definitely take over the DG3 sub-forums. Once we get a few posts in each, our chances of getting DaveShack to rename them are pretty good.

The #turnchat room still works in the chat section.
That's a good thing.

We have all of the settings necessary to get the game started. We can just use the Dgame III forums, it won't take long to fill up a page in each. We'll just have to get a MOD to take down the old sticky threads and rename everything to Dgame IV.

As far as being first DP I don't mind but I'd like to have an official election poll. Since it will be the only elected position lets not skip it. It'll also give us a good ad for the front page.

As far as the rules for the game I like the make them up as we go method. We have a very basic system of government and simple is better when it comes to Dgames. I suggest the council form a code of laws for any further rules that are needed.

EDIT: once again Cyc was reading my mind :scan: .

I just typed in:

/join #turnchat

and I went right in.

Top Bottom