Racial Resources

deadliver

Loud Mouth Amateur
Racial Resources would be a nice addition to this mod. Having access to more than one, perhaps hamlets, villages and towns have a chance of discovering extra ones of the civs' races.

civs could trade away the services, allowing access to a limited selection of unit types whose list expands the closer the civs are (vassals give the largest selection). These resources would also impact relations with other civs.

Dark Elves may like you enough to assist you but they won't be happy if you managed to also have other elven allies. Dwarves and Greenskins would be the same. Getting access to Chaos units would probably cause a war!

I don't see any gain from using the resource system to do this. This is what the diplomacy engine is for; if you want the dark elves on your side militarily, then have good relations with them and bribe them into a war.

I don't see any gain from using the resource system to do this. This is what the diplomacy engine is for; if you want the dark elves on your side militarily, then have good relations with them and bribe them into a war.

That doesn't get you access to elven units though.

Yeah, but isn't the whole point of having unique units for factions that you CAN'T get the same units as everyone? I usually prefer thing that make the different civs more different as opposed to less differentiation (which it seems like this one would do)

Yeah, but isn't the whole point of having unique units for factions that you CAN'T get the same units as everyone? I usually prefer thing that make the different civs more different as opposed to less differentiation (which it seems like this one would do)

This would get you access to units with another civ's racial promotion, those are being kept right? Also if I vassalize the dwarves, you best believe I would tax them for their best units.

As I mentioned earlier, it would be a limited selection of units unless you vassalized the civ.

I just don't think it makes sense. Wood Elves aren't just going to start working for the Empire. They might ally with you if you have good relations with them, and so join in your wars as an ally. Or if you make them your vassal then they also join in your wars. But you aren't going to be able to build elven units.

Even with the High Elf/Empire alliance, the elves train the human mages; they don't have elven mages in the Imperial armies.

If you want to have Elven units, play Elves, or make them your allies (or vassals). Don't expect to somehow just be able to build elven units, particularly not from a resource that can just randomly pop up on one of your cottages.

I just don't think it makes sense. Wood Elves aren't just going to start working for the Empire. They might ally with you if you have good relations with them, and so join in your wars as an ally. Or if you make them your vassal then they also join in your wars. But you aren't going to be able to build elven units.

Even with the High Elf/Empire alliance, the elves train the human mages; they don't have elven mages in the Imperial armies.

If you want to have Elven units, play Elves, or make them your allies (or vassals). Don't expect to somehow just be able to build elven units, particularly not from a resource that can just randomly pop up on one of your cottages.

Again, the racial resources to allow other players to build wood elf units have a chance of spawning only on wood elf cottages etc. Also considering this is a mod based off of battle, which has allied contingents controlled not by a third player but by one of the two this makes sense. Also lorewise you realize that both elves and dwarves live among humans and contribute to their military (not so much the elves) as do the halflings. So that isn't that strange.

However, I can see that there are many other things you guys are working on so no big deal.

Why not, for instance, give the Master of a vassal the ability to build those units but put a National Unit limit of say, three, on them? this gives you the ability to use those units once you've completely beaten your vassal into submission and gives you a bonus for conquering them besides the generic benefits of a vassal.

Because it doesn't make sense most of the time; even if you vassalize them, the Empire isn't going to start using greenskins or dark elves or chaos warriors in their army.

More to the point, its an unnecessary feature; it doesn't really add anything to the game.

Because it doesn't make sense most of the time; even if you vassalize them, the Empire isn't going to start using greenskins or dark elves or chaos warriors in their army.

More to the point, its an unnecessary feature; it doesn't really add anything to the game.

Of course it doesn't make sense to vassalize greenskins or dark elves or chaos warriors either :)

We had plans to implement the Warhammer Dogs of War feature (purchasable allies/mercenaries) by using the Expanded Mercenaries mod by westmastaflash; this is probably the best way to allow for occasional access to a faction-appropriate range of ally/merc units consistent with the tabletop game, as well as some unique Warhammer world merc units (eg the Birdmen of Catrazza). As mentioned, with the departure of P_L and Ploeperpengel we're really in need a talented modder/programmer to add any more features.

Then perhaps it could be limited further- Why not set it so that it only works thematically? In order to have Unit X as Civilization Y, you must have Vassalized Civilization X and be thematically able to use them. For example, I can see Chaos Hordes conscripting their enslaved Greenskins into war, and I can also see the Bretonians calling upon the aid of a handgunner regiment from their Empire vassal.

Simply set so that its a duplicated UU for specific civs that requires them to have vassalized the Civilization to which that unit belongs to. If that's not possible, is it possible to have a (and pardon my FfH) one-time-ritual that comes avaliable after vassalizing a civ which spawns three such UUs in your capital?

I'd help mod, but I'm sort of working on my own mod currently, and I have no time to work on code for another mod. Necro Cristi is taking up much of my time these days. Otherwise, I'd help out modding and programming. Sorry :(

As orlanth said the Dogs of War mechanic would be the most appropriate method to do this, but it would need to be balanced out a lot, and wouldnt be a priority. also as he said, ive stepped down from lead mod guy for this project due to lack of time and desire :p so were looking for more coders :D

Top Bottom