Planet Reath: 31 player multiplayer

BuckyRea

Boldly Going
It's remarkably geeky of me to do this, but I'm having fun with it.

Yes, that's right... I named it after myself. If I'm gonna be dorky I'm gonna go all the way with it.

Long live Zululand

That's "Isizwezulu" on Planet Reath, Celty. But thanks for the love.

November's update is... um... updated. Now life runs through 1300bc. In keeping with this month's Columbus Day theme, the featured tribe for November is the ever lovin' Aztecs. And that can only mean one thing: blood, senseless violence, and hubris... three things, three things: blood, senseless violence, hubris, and long lines of sacrificial victims. Um, make that "four" things: blood... oh just go read the durn thing.

--Bucky

Has there been an update for December? All the pages lead off to the STOP point without update, but Carthage is December's tribe of the month?

Alas, Celt, you're right. It's not as easy a task as I'd first thought when I started this. Updates occur in 3 days. Thanks for thinking about my little project, amigos.

Everyone have a good New Year's.

First update of the new year. Now fortified with 3% more carnage.

You are not here

Hopefully this is still fun for yall.

Don't look at this if you haven't read the updates, OR ELSE... :ar15::trouble::trouble::ar15:
Spoiler :
Things certainly didn't go well for the Byzantines.

the Aztecs are by far the most interesting tale, although Zulu, Byzantine, Carthaginian, and Roman I like, also, I haven't read all the stories.

Thanks, Celt. I kinda don't want people to read the whole thing. Just peck at a couple of story lines that they find interesting. I plan to be at this a while. What I hope is that someone reads a long story, then can go back a year later, read about their next-valley-neighbors and see "Ah-ha, so that's what it looked like from the other guy's point of view. No wonder they conquered me so quick." Or at least that's my goal as a story teller.

Hope you found the Carthaginians' bonus story.

I'm really enjoying the concept. It's an interesting little experiment, and I hope to see you finish it.

I especially like how you try to use each civ's language when giving names to the different regions of the planet. Do you mind sharing some of the resources that you use for another aspiring writer like me?

I especially like how you try to use each civ's language when giving names to the different regions of the planet. Do you mind sharing some of the resources that you use for another aspiring writer like me?
Or me? :D

I'm really enjoying the concept. It's an interesting little experiment, and I hope to see you finish it.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been dragged away from the site for a while and haven't been monitoring this announcement thread. I definitely intend to finish the project, but events have interceded. First, I had a tragic computer crash on my 4 year old laptop. For a while, among the lost items was the most recent save of the game's .SAV file and all the game images from 1000bc to 600bc. It looks like that will be recovered in the next week, so I'm able to continue the project... as soon as I find the friggin' time.

Which brings me to the second problem, even if it's a lame excuse. I seem to have radically overestimated the amount of time I have available for writing and image crafting outside of my day job this semester and some other real world obligations. A big update is currently in the works, but I doubt it'll see the light of day before May.

The resources I use are pretty simple. I've read buttloads of history and then sorta change it a bit when I try to make a story out of it. I wiki a bit. I'll google things like "Persian male names" or "Mayan warriors" or "Hittite mythology" or "Indian literature" to get ideas about how a particular story & culture might have worked out if these were real places. The rest is just me BSing whatever pops into my head. These google searches also yield a few interesting images, which are proving to be the hardest to find. Then I "shop" them in Paint.NET.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question.

Hey Bucky, I don't know about the other guy, but I'm wondering how you get pictures of the units in the middle of fighting. My computer doesn't seem to do it...

I honestly don't know if it'll be possible on my current computer. I could do it on the last one, using the windows button after I'd started the attack, assuming that I'd hit the "print screen" button quickly enough. But some of the operations on my new laptop makes me doubt I'll be able to do that anymore.

There's probably a few screen cap programs out there that can also do that, but I'm really addicted to low tech solutions for most things.

@Bucky: Re computer crash: Ouch! I had the same thing happen to me a few months back -- my laptop just randomly stopped working. Fortunately the hard drive wasn't affected, and now it's serving as a backup HD for my replacement.

Also, thanks for the answer. I was hoping there'd be some sort of central repository for names fro ancient cultures or somesuch, but just using Google seems to work well enough.

Top Bottom