Autosave...?

DanaLea

Prince
Supporter
What's the point of autosaving every other turn if you can't access those saves after your game crashes?!?!?!

argh! :eek:

-dana
:cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad:

I wonder if maybe you are unaware that the autosaves are saved in a different save folder from the normal saves?

My documents/My games/Beyond the sword (or Warlords or Civilization IV depending what you are playing)/Saves/Single/auto

That is, if you are playing on windows

Doesnt save every turn though. Well maybe depends on speed but on Marathon it saves every 3-4 turns...

It depends on how you configure them. The standard is every 4 turns, but you can change that if you want. I'll shamelessly quote myself on how to do it:
Open the file Civilization.ini in the BTS folder (I run Vista and it's in documents\my games\Beyond the Sword in my PC, may be different for other OS) with notepad. There's a line there that reads
Code:
; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves.  0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 4

Set it to 1.

Edit. Be sure to make a backup before editing that file.

Good for you! Wish I were that brave. :envy:

But seriously, the backup part is for the rare but possible case where you screw things up accidentally.

It depends on how you configure them. The standard is every 4 turns, but you can change that if you want. I'll shamelessly quote myself on how to do it:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you! I have been wondering how to fix this for ages! I have always been frustrated by the autosave every four turns thing because if I make a big mistake, like accidentally sending my SOD to the wrong continent while they are all selected, I have to go back anywhere from 2-4 turns just to fix it. YAY!

If you accidentally change something in the .ini folder, and you can't figure out how to get it back, are you screwed? (assuming you didn't back it up)

You're screwed to the extent of having to reinstall the game.

No you don't, just delete the folder. The game will create a new one next time you start it up, complete with ini file. If it's the ini file itself you screwed up, just delete that. Same thing. The only time you have to reinstall is if you seriously screw up one of the core game files. Which is why you should always put anything you want to change in your Custom Assets, or Mod, folder.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you! I have been wondering how to fix this for ages! I have always been frustrated by the autosave every four turns thing because if I make a big mistake, like accidentally sending my SOD to the wrong continent while they are all selected, I have to go back anywhere from 2-4 turns just to fix it. YAY!

Yeah, nice one Ignorant Teacher ;)

I quick save after every turn (after discovering the hot key recently :))

Top Bottom