Now that you've played BtS, what is your favorite Scenario?

Favorite Scenario

• Afterworld

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Broken Star

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Charlemange

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Defense

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Crossroads of the World

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Final Frontier

Votes: 50 23.8%
  • Next War

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Gods of Gold

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Fall from Heaven

Votes: 27 12.9%
  • Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

Votes: 61 29.0%
  • Road to War

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

Grave

1 Goat = 400 Horses
So far I'm really enjoying Final Frontier. Firaxis made so many drastic changes to it, that it hardly feels like I'm playing Civilization IV anymore, yet it stills holds that traditional Civ turn-based charm. It's original, it's fun and the 3D graphics on it are pretty neat.

Kudos goes to Afterworld, too. I like what they did with the whole comic strip thing with it. Very unique!

With as much neat stuff Firaxis packed into this expansion, I feel it's going to be very hard to top with the next EP, if they make one!

Final Frontier is what Master of Orion 3 should've been.

I voted FF just because it's fun, innovative and playable (even with some silly bugs!)..... personally if I want a turn based, space 4X game, I'll play Galactic Civ which is undeniably better..... but this is still my favourite scenario for now.

Age of Ice was very very good, but personally I'd only play it once. I love the FfH mod for it's variety.

I haven't touched Rhye's yet..... but it will almost certainly be a scenario I come back to many times.

Charlemagne was nicely balanced and very playable - I'm sure I'll try this out a number of ways.

Afterworld - while I can respect the innovation, I personally have no interest whatsoever in it..... bored after 20 minutes.

Broken Star was good for the hour or so I played it - I'll probably come back to it again.

Road to War is the kind of scenario I have to be in the right mood for.... and I'm not in the right mood for it now! ;)

Gods of Old looks good.... but I'd personally like to mod it a little to make it play out in ancient to medieval times and no further.

Crossroads of the World didn't appear well balanced and the map was dull.

Defense.... silly.

I loved Final Frontier, as it is a great deal of fun to play, but I am a little disappointed that it was not finished for the release of the expansion. I hope the creator does not abandon the project, because it still needs a lot of work, but it is a fantastic module, nonetheless.

***Begin Edit***
Recommendations:
  • You cannot determine which planetary systems are more advantageous to settle, until after you have already spent the Colony Ship. Giving Scout Ships an ability to obtain vital information of a system would be great.
  • If you open the World Builder, you will see that there are many icons and terrain options that simply do not belong in a space themed scenario.
  • There should be a management screen for each planet, instead of just one for an entire system.
  • A better tutorial that shows how to get things going would be nice, as some players may not want to spend the time learning what strategy and tactics are needed to succeed, which would prevent them from discovering how much fun the module is (It took me a while to figure things out). For instance, a tutorial that is scripted in such a way that it walks the player through important first techs to create a sustainable economy, military, and espionage network would be a great help. An explaination of how warp lanes, jump points, mining, and starbases work could also be included. Consequently, preventing contact with Pirate or Rival Civilizations until the tutorial reaches that point of the lesson would be neccessary. Also, the addition of a non-competitive entity in which to establish Trade Route Lanes would be welcome. I have a hard time trading technologies and resources with Rival Civilizations, because each one is so important to victory.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts after playing a couple of times through. Cheers!
***End Edit***

I've only managed to play about half of them so far, but Final Frontier was one of the reasons that I really wanted BtS and I have to say that it exceeded my expectations of what I thought it would be.

My favorite scenario:
- Gods of Old

Good scenarios:
- Broken Star
- Charlemagne
- Age of Ice
- Final Frontier
- Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

Not so good scenarios:
- Crossroads of the World
- Next War
- Road to War

Garbage:
- Afterworld
- Defense

I played FF for a little while, but at the time I didn't feel like finding out how things worked. And I haven't played all the scenarios, but I think of the ones I spend considerable time with (which is just R&F and NW) R&F is the best. NW is pretty nice too. I did try out defense, and think that's probably the worst scenario. Just not a whole lot of fun. But the others seem quite interesting. I'm really hoping for a 34-civ worldmap soon though.

I'll wait to vote until I've played more than one of them. I tried Gods of Old, since I find the concept intriguing.

The way religions work is quite different, since they all are available at the beginning of the game and are founded by building things. The idea appears to be to keep only one religion in your civ (and get only one in the whole world to win a religious victory). At least one religion allows new promotions; that's cool.

Afterworld isn't so terrible once you get past the mindnumbing dialogue at the start. The gameplay works all right and the missions work pretty well -- except I'm stuck of course not being able to kill the stupid blob or exit in any way.

I haven't finished my games on all the scenarios yet, but played at least a little time on all of them. My impressions:

Afterworld: My favorite. I liked the story and the gameplay a lot.
Final Frontier: Fantastic scenario. I'd like more different leaders, but for a mod released with the game, it's fine. All the new units ant techs are very cool, and I loved the idea of colonizing a whole system, not just a planet.
Age of Ice: Not as good as FFHII, but it's a good scenario. Probably I'll playing it just once.
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: That's a scenario I'll play for a long time. A lot of civilizations with different ways to win.
Next War: The Next War scenario didn't catch my attention, what I really liked was the option to play an entire game with the Next War techs and units, but it needs some fixes, though.
Crossroads of the World: The idea of a economic victory didn't catch my attention. Someday I'll play it again and maybe I'll like it.
Road to War: Definitely the best WWII mod for Civ IV. I'm not a fan of WWII scenarios, I need to be in the right mood to play it, and I'm not now.

I haven't played enough the Charlemagne, Broken Star and Defense scenarios to write something about them, but I can't say they are good, except Defense.

I actually kind of like Broken Star. It's a straight up modern-era slugfest, which is great, as I rarely make it to the modern era, and when I do the wars are foregone conclusions.

It does have a couple of problems, however. The rebels are tough to crack early on because they airlift into any city under attack; until you get their reserves worn down, it's slow progress in taking their cities. Also, I have my doubts as to whether the AI knows how to buy units and promotions; fortunately, build times are reasonable enough that they can get by using the "old fashioned" build-it-yourself model.

I voted Afterworld as my favorite, even though playing it is actually isn't. BUT its creative design is second to none. Loved the comic strip and really the whole feel of the mod, its great to play once, but yea not much on replayablity, but I rate it highly because it is basically an rpg running on a civ engine. Great work.

Others I enjoyed;

Final Frontier - basically feel the same way about this as afterworld, both had great design. Only downside, I could research techs faster than I could produce units, kinda odd.

Rhye's - always been a rhye's fan since long ago

Crossroads - it was fun to play once, but I think the AI needs an overhaul in order to compete, I won the game with the commerce victory after 92 turns...on monarch... no other civs were even close.

Road to War - this is my favorite genre of the scenario's, but due to ugly grey buttons, wrong leaders, and about every single city has the wrong food supplies and resources it nearly makes it unplayable for me (example, spokane grows to size 13 easily while los angelas can't grow past size 4). Also on the pacific map, there is not a single fish, clam, crab or whale resource on the entire map.

Top Bottom